• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2012, 04:00:29 PM
Heh . . . Easter stockings--the NAM Team could use some of those.

Something tells me we forgot to celebrate Easterween... &mmm

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2012, 04:00:29 PM
(Note: 50ft. is generally accepted as the US/Imperial equivalent of 1 SC4 tile.)

I'm not one of those persons. (I use 52 feet instead. It's just me being more exact.)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Indiana Joe

Almost exactly 52 and a half feet.  But I hope you guys never use that rule over long distances.  You'll be off by a foot for every 153 tiles.  :D

And wouldn't fixing the giant pedestrian/automata problem be as simple as making an automata mod?  (Not that I'm saying that's easy in itself.)  Are the pedestrians modifiable or exe controlled?

Tarkus

Quote from: Indiana Joe on December 14, 2012, 06:36:06 PM
And wouldn't fixing the giant pedestrian/automata problem be as simple as making an automata mod?  (Not that I'm saying that's easy in itself.)  Are the pedestrians modifiable or exe controlled?

Most of the pedestrians are automata just like the vehicles.  They're S3D models that, if I recall correctly, are stored in SimCity_1.dat.  If one wanted to correct them, I believe it'd mostly be a matter of just running them through SC4 Model Tweaker to scale them down.  There are some other pedestrian-related crowd props that are ATC/AVP based, however, which are a different story.

I believe the reason why the pedestrians are Goliath-sized has to do with visibility--Maxis wanted players to be able to see them better, and upscaled them for that purpose.  There's also the matter that vertical scaling in the game appears squashed by about 77% due to the trimetric orthographic projection, which many BATers compensate for by upscaling the height of buildings and props by a factor of 1.3, though this works out to the pedestrians being about 7'8" without this scaling compensation.

-Alex

jondor

Sadly, I'm fairly certain that almost all of the pedestrian automata animations are of the ATC/AVP variety.  Those that are not are generally associated with the effects directory, such as crime and police/fire animations as well as fauna.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

old joe

Hey people! I downloaded a bunch of plugins but experience a permanent CTD, so i reinstall all, and all working fine, but NWM!
Some of intersectons just dont work with traffic (
Heres screenie
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5185/intersa.png
How i can cure this?
i unpaused it of course

jdenm8

Re-run the NWM installer with the LHD plugin selected.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

kj3400

I was wondering, would it be possible to have OWR-1 connect to the road/owr/street roundabouts?
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: kj3400 on December 18, 2012, 11:49:16 AM
I was wondering, would be possible to have OWR-1 connect to the road/owr/street roundabouts?

Which would now be a matter of not only rewriting the necessary code, but also a matter of redoing everything I've done for this (Textures, paths, and all). (The consequences of overworking my only computer...)

Plus, I'd rather wait to get this integrated for NAM 32; That's when the NWM gets the P56/51/5E treatment.
<INACTIVE>
-----

kj3400

I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

strucka

The OWR-1 is not ok like that. We already have a MIS entrance/exit with roundabout, which is much better, as it is a bit of oriented to the flow of traffic on it. Another thing I don't see as good is the TLA-3. You just can't have the center lane connected to the roundabout. It should be blocked off by the median form AVE-2. Usually in reallife rdbt's have medians between the entrance/exit. It makes them safer for oncoming crashes a safe zone for peds crossing the roads, and also gives space for the curve radius needed.

j-dub

Two options to resolve the TLA-3, would be a T21 triangular median, alternatively, there should be enough room there for a small pointed hatch out. I want to say Maarten's RxRing mod, had a lane restricting median, with the usual yellow warning sign in the middle of the TLA-3, if that was done in this situation, it would match up.

jdenm8

Quote from: strucka on December 22, 2012, 06:03:48 AM
The OWR-1 is not ok like that. We already have a MIS entrance/exit with roundabout, which is much better, as it is a bit of oriented to the flow of traffic on it. Another thing I don't see as good is the TLA-3. You just can't have the center lane connected to the roundabout. It should be blocked off by the median form AVE-2. Usually in reallife rdbt's have medians between the entrance/exit. It makes them safer for oncoming crashes a safe zone for peds crossing the roads, and also gives space for the curve radius needed.

We're kind of stuck with the way that texture is on the OWR 1, simply because we cannot know which way the OWR1 is going.

Durfsurn

Could you fix this by having a puzzle piece for each direction? I don't recommend doing this though as it just adds more pieces and confusion.

strucka

Quote from: jdenm8 on December 23, 2012, 06:32:56 AM
We're kind of stuck with the way that texture is on the OWR 1, simply because we cannot know which way the OWR1 is going.

What do you mean? Of course you know which way it's going, you have to pull it in the way it's oriented. The same thing as with the MIS intersection. Try it, you'll see.

jdenm8

I know perfectly well about the MIS intersection with the roundabout.

The RHW overrides and OWR work fundamentally differently. With the RHW overrides, we know exactly which way traffic flows because the way the network tile is oriented is directly related to which way the traffic flows. Traffic will always flow in one way because the paths only go one way. The yellow line is always on the inside.

OWR is different in that the direction of the active paths and the orientation of the network tile is disconnected. Traffic can be flowing in at least two directions at one time on the one unique network tile. Instead of the paths in the path file only going in one direction, the game takes path files with paths going in both possible directions, then uses EXE-locked trickery to disable one set according to their Exit and Entry winds. Long story short, at the RUL level, there is literally no way to know which direction traffic is flowing on OWR (This also makes T21s for OWR work incorrectly at intersections and why traffic lights don't work), whereas there is on One-Way RHWs.

The puzzle piece approach is feasible in theory, however the puzzle piece, when placed, may break the INRUL override which forms the roundabout in the first place.

GDO29Anagram

I'm a little bit down from what had nearly happened to me last weekend, but I wanna pitch in on the matter on connecting NWMs to the RAs:

- TLA-3: An different "terminus" would entail a texture override, and those vary by region. I'm not one for providing differing textures for the same transit tile, and neither is the rest of the NAM Team. What's more important is that something works; The fine-tuning usually comes later* and if it's still undesirable to someone, there's nothing stopping them from making a third-party mod. The same goes for T21s. (PS, TLA-5's terminating at an RD-2 in a T-crossing share a similar conundrum.)

* - I had made these textures to be "neutral", because I didn't know what to put at the time. I didn't want it to be directionally biased, either.

- OWR-1: The MIS is an asymmetrical single-direction network, which is why it can have the turn-in hook, but due to the nature of OWRs in general, the OWR is a symmetrical bidirectional network. It's just that the OWR's tidal flow proprerty "deactivates" half of the paths, but any sort of transit tile for OWR HAS to be made bidirectional or else it won't work.

- Puzzle pieces for the above: First, do we really wanna go down the rabbit hole? Second, puzzle pieces break overrides. Not a viable option.
<INACTIVE>
-----

lfinalDJ

HI, How can I end a AVE-6 intersecting it with a AVE-4 ?

I can't found any pieces for that:

Thanks for any help, sorry my english.

sunv123

Just drag both ends into the AVE 4 or 6. That's it.

Tell me if that's not the case.

-sunv123

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

lfinalDJ

I don't know why it doesn't work. The intersection is incomplete.

like this:

mike3775

Quote from: lfinalDJ on December 30, 2012, 01:37:27 PM

I don't know why it doesn't work. The intersection is incomplete.

like this:

I have always had to go one more square past the terminus, in other words, draw through the Ave and get a full 4 way intersection.