• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Eventually, yes.  It's planned, as are Lane Shifts/S-Curves and 45-degree Curves for just about every network in there, but when, I'm not sure.  There's been very little work done on wide-radius curves for Wider RHWs thus far.  I'd imagine it'll be a gradual process.  The ground networks will, of course, be getting them first (with the exception of the EMIS, which already has some in the form of FLEXFly).

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on March 27, 2011, 11:35:58 AM
Eventually, yes.  It's planned, as are Lane Shifts/S-Curves and 45-degree Curves for just about every network in there, but when, I'm not sure.  There's been very little work done on wide-radius curves for Wider RHWs thus far.  I'd imagine it'll be a gradual process.  The ground networks will, of course, be getting them first (with the exception of the EMIS, which already has some in the form of FLEXFly).

-Alex

What about network overpasses (road,rail,ave,etc.) over the RHW 8-C?

Tarkus

Planned, and hopefully in 4.2, though there's been no development on them as of yet, and we're still trying to figure out just how to design them (in particular, how to handle the asymmetrical "7C" setup).

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on March 28, 2011, 08:50:47 AM
Planned, and hopefully in 4.2, though there's been no development on them as of yet, and we're still trying to figure out just how to design them (in particular, how to handle the asymmetrical "7C" setup).

-Alex

Wow in the next release?!?! I wasn't expecting those until v4.3 or v4.4! :) Nice job.

Twinsfan14

Would it be at all possible to make draggable RHW-6S? I use that quite a bit, and plopping all the puzzle pieces can be a pain.

And will there be 45 degree FlexFly pieces and diagonal elevated to ground transitions?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Twinsfan14 on March 28, 2011, 02:47:19 PM
Would it be at all possible to make draggable RHW-6S? I use that quite a bit, and plopping all the puzzle pieces can be a pain.

You mean draggable RHW-6S diagonals? It's been planned, and it's also confirmed in the FAQ.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jdenm8

Quote from: Twinsfan14 on March 28, 2011, 02:47:19 PM

And will there be 45 degree FlexFly pieces and diagonal elevated to ground transitions?

To quote Anagram,

Yes (If you mean draggable diagonals), No and No.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

sim_vern

Quote from: dragonshardz on March 06, 2009, 04:39:31 PM
had an idea: take Xylo's original mod (the lights+barriers v1) for the 6, turn it into a starter piece for a pathless network, and boom! modular center barriers.

Does Xylo's lights and barrier mod work with v4.0 of RHW?  TIA!

jdenm8

Yes it does work with it.

There is no real reason that it shouldn't, it doesn't touch diagonal RHWs which is what broke the other mods.

el_cozu

Quote from: H2Odk on March 24, 2011, 02:41:44 PM
There seems to be a path problem with FLEXFly (or at least there is one the way I used it here :) )

LOL that would be awesome if it could be done! XD

sim_vern

Quote from: jdenm8 on March 30, 2011, 03:10:28 AM
Yes it does work with it.

There is no real reason that it shouldn't, it doesn't touch diagonal RHWs which is what broke the other mods.

Great and thank you.  Quick question.  Is the direction from which I drag from the starter piece important?  I'm sorry I tried to search for this but my search-foo is wanting.  TIA.

H2Odk

I needed to make a neighbourhood connection with OWR, so I edited the path of one of the Flup OWR pieces to allow me to use Flups to make this work. (Adding a new puzzle piece is beyond my skills)

But as you can see, some traffic (~1000 busses) are using the new neighbourhood connection path as a shortcut.

Since a RHW neighbourhood connection has the same problem/feature I wondered if anyone has found a solution to this?

j-dub

Are you saying you changed the OWR FLUP pieces to Two Way?  I assume as in shortcut you did not want traffic to go under the highway like that?

If that OWR FLUPs really is two way traffic, which should allow in and out, I would say simply disconnect the FLUPs line there, but I am going to have to guess the reason why you have this setup is because of the game's limitation with entering and exiting city tiles that it needed to view the OWR with a way in and way out, that connecting with FLUPs was the only way.

Otherwise, I would ask if you did originally not have that line under the blank tiles there.

The RHW had loop connectors to resolve the one way neighbor connection conflict in mind, but RHW only had freight trucks exit out. I have not seen this shortcut situation happen with the RHW loop connectors though.

I am going to tell you that I tried to alter neighbor connections with OWR before, just not in the FLUPs style. How it behaved, was that in comparison to the RHW only having trucks exit, buses only, no trucks or cars seemed to take the OWR neighbor connection when I tried. I noticed cars still took the same exit, if the OWR was not there, and if it was regular road. I really do not think Maxis had programed OWR to do handle the connections.

H2Odk

Quote from: j-dub on March 30, 2011, 03:02:21 PM
Are you saying you changed the OWR FLUP pieces to Two Way?  I assume as in shortcut you did not want traffic to go under the highway like that?

If that OWR FLUPs really is two way traffic, which should allow in and out, I would say simply disconnect the FLUPs line there, but I am going to have to guess the reason why you have this setup is because of the game's limitation with entering and exiting city tiles that it needed to view the OWR with a way in and way out, that connecting with FLUPs was the only way.

Otherwise, I would ask if you did originally not have that line under the blank tiles there.

The RHW had loop connectors to resolve the one way neighbor connection conflict in mind, but RHW only had freight trucks exit out. I have not seen this shortcut situation happen with the RHW loop connectors though.

I am going to tell you that I tried to alter neighbor connections with OWR before, just not in the FLUPs style. How it behaved, was that in comparison to the RHW only having trucks exit, buses only, no trucks or cars seemed to take the OWR neighbor connection when I tried. I noticed cars still took the same exit, if the OWR was not there, and if it was regular road. I really do not think Maxis had programed OWR to do handle the connections.
I did make the OWR Flup two-way, but 50m below ground. Apart from this problem it works for all traffic.

As I understand it for a NC to work (Avenue and Highway works as a single NC), it has to allow traffic in both directions, because any traffic entering/exiting a NC has to be able to find a path (but not necessarily use) to the same NC for the return trip.

The problem happens because the NC return path is shared between the ones exiting and the ones entering. In the picture it goes from the left to the right for both. I don't think that lowering one of them would solve it.. and it would also require adding a lower path to all Flups.... maybe I should test this anyway.

Here you can see the same problem with RHW NC

jdenm8

Quote from: sim_vern on March 30, 2011, 01:23:40 PM
Great and thank you.  Quick question.  Is the direction from which I drag from the starter piece important?  I'm sorry I tried to search for this but my search-foo is wanting.  TIA.

There is no significance to whichever direction you drag from the starter piece, just so long as thee starter piece is rotated correctly.

Quote from: H2Odk on March 30, 2011, 03:39:42 PM
Here you can see the same problem with RHW NC
That will happen... It's the way the pieces are pathed, and it would happen on the Nicole Ritchie Effect simulators too, it's kinda impossible to fix.
I've found that sticking a toll booth on one or both of the outgoing RHWs can fix the problems.

compgeek718

Will there be FARHW pieces avaiable for the 8S & 10S in the upcoming version. Also will there be ramp transitions for 6S to 8S and 8S to 10S? Thanks in advance.

Tarkus

Quote from: compgeek718 on March 31, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
Will there be FARHW pieces avaiable for the 8S & 10S in the upcoming version.

No, the only network to gain FARHW support in the upcoming version will be the 6C.  The RHW-2, 4, 6S and MIS, of course, already have it and that functionality will be expanded. 

Quote from: compgeek718 on March 31, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
Also will there be ramp transitions for 6S to 8S and 8S to 10S? Thanks in advance.

Are you meaning C and D-Type Ramp Interfaces (i.e. an 8S splitting one lane off with an MIS and an RHW-6S)?  There's been a little bit of development on them, and I've gotten some textures done, but they're not fully integrated and aren't in the current build for internal NAM Team/Associates testing (or the upcoming one).  They're definite for a future Version 4.x-series release, but whether or not they'll be in Version 4.2 (the upcoming release) remains to be seen.

Speaking of Version 4.2, I should also add that progress on it has been slow for the past month or so, due to many of our developers having RL (myself included), and it will continue to be slow for at least another couple of months.  I personally have heavy RL in April and May, likely going into June, so I will more or less be on a "sabbatical", and my level of activity will dwindle substantially during that time.  My apologies for any inconvenience--I know folks have been eagerly anticipating the next release, and I hope it'll be worth the wait. :) 

-Alex

MikieCGY

How does one connect the RHW to their regular streets and such..  I'm having a B%^ of a time to do it.  :(

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: MikieCGY on April 02, 2011, 10:57:26 AM
How does one connect the RHW to their regular streets and such..

If you're talking about transitioning from RHW to street or road, use RHW-2 to connect to it. Not unless you're having other problems doing that...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MikieCGY

having a hard time it does not look right..

thanks for the super quick reply! wow!!