• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thornyjohny

I've searched the tab rings a few times, but I can't find an 8S-8C Transition.
Does that mean that such a piece simply does not exist? ???
Also, is it possible to make bridges for 6S or 8S?

noahclem

Quote from: thornyjohny on October 21, 2011, 11:12:09 AM
I've searched the tab rings a few times, but I can't find an 8S-8C Transition.
Does that mean that such a piece simply does not exist? ???
Also, is it possible to make bridges for 6S or 8S?

Sorry, no 8S to 8C transition yet. Unfortunately no bridges have been released for wider RHWs either, though some are in developmental stages. Bridges are a separate issue from regular NAM development which means that if someone were to create bridges for the wider RHWs they would be free to release them before the next NAM (with associated controller file) is released.

pimmapman

I had a thought, would it be possible to create a flexcurve that when plopped is on ground level, but that you can terraform over or under it, and as soon as there's a gap underneath it, pylons will appear, and if you terraform something over the top of it, that it appears as a tunnel?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: pimmapman on October 22, 2011, 02:54:03 AM
I had a thought, would it be possible to create a flexcurve that when plopped is on ground level, but that you can terraform over or under it, and as soon as there's a gap underneath it, pylons will appear, and if you terraform something over the top of it, that it appears as a tunnel?

That can't be done due to the simple fact that any sort of terraforming on a puzzle piece, even WAVERide items, will destroy the entire piece.

Allowing that would require modifying things (the EXE) that would be illegal to modify.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

dyoungyn

Is it possible to create a puzzle piece that transitions from RHW 6S or 6C to Maxis ground highway as in 6 lanes smooth transition?

Also, is RHW 4/6 S/C diagnal 2 lanes exits planned for next release like there is for straight pieces?

Finally what about RHW 4 stright/curved splitter planned for a diagnol piece?

dyoungyn

DAB_City

Quote from: dyoungyn on October 22, 2011, 05:34:30 AM
Is it possible to create a puzzle piece that transitions from RHW 6S or 6C to Maxis ground highway as in 6 lanes smooth transition?

Also, is RHW 4/6 S/C diagnal 2 lanes exits planned for next release like there is for straight pieces?

Finally what about RHW 4 stright/curved splitter planned for a diagnol piece?

dyoungyn

Refer to this earlier post for details on a workaround for a RHW-6<>MHW Transition: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.msg400025#msg400025
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

pimmapman

There seem to be a lot of restrictions because of the EXE files.. If it's copyright restrictions, maybe the NAM team could get a permit or something to modify not for profit?  &idea

joelyboy911

Not likely, and it's probably not that easy. There's a lot that the NAM team can do, but modifying the core of the game (changing all the rules) is probably outside their skill level anyway. The NAM has built up the knowledge to do complex things within the current rules of the game, modding what's already there. Modifying the EXE is a whole different skillset.

If they really, really wanted to modify the EXE they could have (given the right tools), but because legally it isn't allowable, there's never been a desire.

Plus, I believe attempts have been made to contact EA for more permissions, and they have not been granted (in fact, they probably weren't even responded to).
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

MandelSoft

That's right. Modding the EXE would mean re-programming, and that's a different cup of tea than modding and changing RUL-code. On top of that, we don't know what the results are and it can make the game unstable. So it's not only illegal, but also unpractical  and nearly impossible.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Lach77

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but it's close enough to RHW support. I'm trying to build a sunken RHW through my city. It's going fine except for one hitch. I'm trying to get a diagonal 6 lane RHW (i.e. 3 lanes each direction) to work with the sunken highway walls. Has anyone had any success in getting that to fit. What happens is the pathing for all the RHW 6s don't correctly match up with diagonal walls so I always end up with visual glitches. That means the sunken walls visually overlap onto the highway or I end up with an ugly white pavement between the road and the wall.
RHW 1, 2 and 4 work fine because the tiles match the walls correctly I think it's just an issue with RHW6. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very happy to read them.

Thanks

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Lach77 on October 23, 2011, 02:06:05 AM
I'm trying to get a diagonal 6 lane RHW (i.e. 3 lanes each direction) to work with the sunken highway walls. Has anyone had any success in getting that to fit. What happens is the pathing for all the RHW 6s don't correctly match up with diagonal walls so I always end up with visual glitches.

I'm guessing you're using THESE walls?

If so, here's the thing: Those walls were designed for MAXIS highways, and they were made when MHW usage was more prevalent than RHW usage.

The only solution is to create a larger space between the walls and the 6S.

See how there's that one single rail tile between the wall and 6S? You'll need that space.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the 6S is a network with an overhang, so you'll always need to clear out more space for its overhang to fit, especially if you're creating a sunken highway with it.

Also, it's not so much an issue with the RHW as it is an issue with something made before it.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Lach77

Hey

I think I've tried all the available diagonal walls and none seem to work. Some are better than others but I find there are still visual problems such as the unmatching shades of grass as seen in your photo.

mike3775

Quote from: Lach77 on October 23, 2011, 04:03:01 AM
Hey

I think I've tried all the available diagonal walls and none seem to work. Some are better than others but I find there are still visual problems such as the unmatching shades of grass as seen in your photo.

Until someone releases walls that are made specifically for RHW(or redoes existing walls for RHW, with permission of course), there isn't anything that can really be done. 

Carny

Hi to everyone. :)
Just a question: there is a guardrail mod for RHW? I saw some pics (of Mrtnntn, i guess) of it, i'm wondering if something similar was never released.

Bipin

There is/was a guardrail mod for RHW4, although I believed it was removed due to stability issues. I have never had an issue with it myself though. The mod added T21'd metal guardrails and green EXIT signs.

MandelSoft

Well, I haven't touched the mod for ages, and I'm planning to do a new (yet limited set) for the RHW v5.0... As soon as I finished the Euro Textures, which will take a while...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Lach77

Quote from: mike3775 on October 23, 2011, 07:08:46 AM
Quote from: Lach77 on October 23, 2011, 04:03:01 AM
Hey

Until someone releases walls that are made specifically for RHW(or redoes existing walls for RHW, with permission of course), there isn't anything that can really be done.

Ok thanks  :)

Carny

Quote from: mrtnrln on October 23, 2011, 11:56:11 AM
Well, I haven't touched the mod for ages, and I'm planning to do a new (yet limited set) for the RHW v5.0... As soon as I finished the Euro Textures, which will take a while...

Ok, i'll wait for it. :)
A "Guard-railed" highway is more realistic, especially in an European background. Plus in urban areas, depending on space's availability, it should give the possibility to build close to the RHW, while preserving an adequate realism without some additional ploppable barriers.

P.S. Anyway, i' wondering if your first Guardrail mod works with current RHW-4. If so, where can i find the old Guardrail mod? Is it still online? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Tarkus

Quote from: Carny on October 24, 2011, 08:29:29 AM
P.S. Anyway, i' wondering if your first Guardrail mod works with current RHW-4. If so, where can i find the old Guardrail mod? Is it still online? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

To my knowledge, it's still buried somewhere in the thread, probably in the page 100-200 range.  However, it was designed for either RHW 2.0 or 3.0 (I can't remember which) and users had remarked about it not working well with 4.0 (which means it definitely won't work well with 5.0).

-Alex

Bipin

If anyone wants the guardrail mod, let me know, I do have the files somewhere, as I still use it without issues with RHW 5.0. I have never actually had problems with the mod myself while using it with 5.0, although strangely, I did experience issues with RHW4 during 4.0 but those issues are gone now. I'd upload the files assuming I get permission to do so.