• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Showcasing a couple new features from NAM 40 from a new highway project of mine

You can click them for full size.

Diagonal RHW-6S to 8S ramp pieces

Solid stability. 5 tiles of overpasses all in a row and no sweat.

Wiimeiser

After messing around with the new REW for a bit, I have come to the conclusion that diagonal inside D1/E1 ramps are a necessity. The REW has them due to bidirectional pathing, so why shouldn't the RHW get them? You can just put them on alternate rotations on the orthogonal inside Flex Ramps, at least I assume you should be able to...

I was also thinking about "trident" splitters where a three-lane road splits off onto both side tiles at once. Would likely be a low priority, though...

Another thing I noticed is that while OWR-1 to MIS works diagonally, OWR-2 to RHW-4 does not. This should be easy to fix, though, right?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

roadgeek

I love having diagonal on ramps and off ramps in the REW, but I fear that inside diag on ramps and off ramps for RHW would require additional work on RUL-2, since they would have to be flex pieces. I know that the FLUPs were long overdue, but so is the Flex FARHW. I would hope that doesn't get bumped in favor of the newest shiny object.

Tarkus

Just as is the case with the Orthogonal Inside ramps, what would actually be required for Diagonal Inside is full-on new FLEXRamps for each setup, as roadgeek correctly noted.  That requires INRUL work to find a suitable flag pattern, and then RUL0 work to make that pattern placeable in game.  Once that aspect is done, then that's when RUL2 enters the equation.  The RUL2 code allows the other networks to override the base setup.

Diagonal Inside ramps have been planned since before the REW existed.  If it exists orthogonally, the plan has pretty much been for it to also exist diagonally . . . eventually.  I'll note that beyond the pathing, the REW ones also only support one network at present--the base One-Way Road network (AKA OWR-2).  The expectation once we add such setups to the RHW is pretty much going to be that we get all 9 ground networks covered (as applicable for the ramp--obviously, the MIS can't have an D1 or E1, Inside or Outside, since the mainline out the bottom of such a ramp would be an . . . RHW-0).

I'll note that there will be no additional diagonal ramps added in NAM 42, at least from me.  I'm still recovering from all the fiddly cosmetic work that was required to finish the 40 or so diagonal ramps I added in NAM 40 (which was actually a large part of the reason NAM 40 took 4 months).  I don't know what NAM 43 will bring, but I'll hopefully be recovered enough that I can at least consider resuming that ongoing project.

"W-splits" have been considered, but they're not a priority.  They'd basically be a form of "Dual" ramp.  There's a ramp setup near me sort of like it, at least functionally (the infamous US-26/I-405 interchange just east of the Vista Ridge Tunnel in Downtown Portland--almost always a lovely congested mess), but that actually has an F2-ish ramp first, with the branch of the F2-ish ramp then turning into an E1 Wye shortly thereafter.

Now, with regards to Flex FARHW . . . that has been on the backburner for a long time, but I've recently gotten some ideas with regards to implementation, and am doing some R&D.  Stay tuned.

-Alex

Haljackey

Thought I'd post this here if anyone may need a tip or two: How to build a tight overpass with RHW network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJzTY_zruY

roadgeek

I did learn something. All this time I have been using the digger/raiser to make smooth highway height changes, when I could have just dragged the highway out. Oh and Wiimaster is spot on about that OWR-2 to RHW-4 diagonal transition. That has been one of those bugaboos that would be real nice to see it get fixed.

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on May 01, 2021, 03:19:17 AM
Now, with regards to Flex FARHW . . . that has been on the backburner for a long time, but I've recently gotten some ideas with regards to implementation, and am doing some R&D.  Stay tuned.

I most definitely will stay tuned and check back often. I look forward to seeing video clips as well, and of course the new capabilities, such as new on and off ramps, and L1, L2, Flex Height, etc.

Tarkus

You know how there were a bunch of people complaining about how the old, deprecated puzzle piece height transitions button that we tried to kill "isn't really deprecated" because of the Curved MIS Height Transition Puzzle Pieces?

Well, it sure as heck is now . . . these bad boys (modeled by my fellow NAMite eggman121 awhile back) are FLEX, and they're L0-L1.

NAM 42 is taking a big swing at puzzle piece-killing.  More on that to come. ;)

-Alex

Kitsune

Nothing like some puzzle piece killing .... charge !!  %BUd%
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

Will definitely use this. Hope there are L1-L2 and RHW-4 (and 2) versions in the pipeline.

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on June 09, 2021, 04:20:37 AM
You know how there were a bunch of people complaining about how the old, deprecated puzzle piece height transitions button that we tried to kill "isn't really deprecated" because of the Curved MIS Height Transition Puzzle Pieces?

Well, it sure as heck is now . . . these bad boys (modeled by my fellow NAMite eggman121 awhile back) are FLEX, and they're L0-L1.

NAM 42 is taking a big swing at puzzle piece-killing.  More on that to come. ;)

-Alex
Than sounds good! Will there be any 45 degree Flex height curves?

roadgeek

Are neighbour connections only available at L0? Seems like a good candidate for being flexed, if so.

LucarioBoricua

:sunny:    Imma leave a lil' something here...     ()meeting()

Wiimeiser

Really epic! I've been trying to figure out how to make proper stack interchanges for ages, this will definitely help!

Glazert

Making the impossible possible. The NAM Team certainly don't seem to have run out of new ideas - and the hard slog to implement them. This will make more realistic and tighter interchanges possible and perhaps inspire people to revisit Sim City 4.

roadgeek

That is phenomenal!!!! I gotta say, I love the music that goes with it, although I can't quite place it....

dyoungyn

WOW just WOW, FINALLY true spaghetti Interchanges.  Thank you sooooooooooo much for sharing.   Completely amazing and stunned to see such an ability.   The possibilities are endless.

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

roadgeek

Just watched Secret Weapon #2, and that is totally epic!!!! Flex widths at all levels...gonna come in handy! Oh and I absolutely love that image you posted on Moddb with the box interchange using OWR-4! Salivating all over the place!!!!

Tarkus

Just a few things you'll . . . imminently . . . get to play with . . .

Thanks to my colleague eggman121 for the models! :thumbsup:

-Alex

Edit: And I wasn't kidding about the whole "imminent" thing, either.