• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to make “Invisible Power Lines”

Started by smoncrie, June 30, 2008, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoncrie

You can use this technique when ever you want to get power to isolated lots, or just don't want to have unsightly power poles.

Creating "Invisible Power Lines" is based on a simple trick:   If you control-drag a zone over a transit network (road, rail, whatever), the resulting zone will be invisible and will conduct power, but it will not develop or create extra streets.   There is one visible effect: If the control-drag zone is next to a transit network you will get the same sidewalks, streetlights, etc. that you would get if the transit network was next to an ordinary zone.

There is a limited distance that you can control-drag the zone, but you can extent the "Invisible Power Line" by adding and additional street or road to drag over and control-dragging again.  You can bulldoze the additional street or road after control-dragging the zone.

The control-drag zone can be removed like any other zone (control-v).

I usually plop a single street tile to drag over, and then bulldoze it when the drag is done (Power will cross the one tile space).  I also usually avoid creating the control-drag zone next to any streets, roads, etc.

The first picture shows the zone being dragged over a street tile and between two developed areas.  It is shown before the control key is held down, so that it will be visible.

The second picture shows the power data view after the control-drag zone is created, and the street tile bulldozed.

Unfortunately, I do not remember who discovered this trick, but I did generalize it. It was originally discussed on Simtropolis.

Note: It is also possible to create a special transit enabled lot that allows one to make neighbour connections for power without any power poles.  I will not discuss it here unless there is sufficient interest.

homefryes

Wow, smoncrie, this looks like it will be quite useful...thanks for sharing!!
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

flame1396

The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

deathtopumpkins

I never thought about using that to convey power. That's a really good idea. *shudders at hideous maxis power poles*

Another good use of CTRL-dragging is to get sidewalks in the middle of other transit networks, such as a row of 3 adjacent roads all having sidewalks.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Jackfelle

Quote from: smoncrie on June 30, 2008, 07:23:28 PMNote: It is also possible to create a special transit enabled lot that allows one to make neighbour connections for power without any power poles.  I will not discuss it here unless there is sufficient interest.

Is it really possible? I would like to know how! :o I searched for an answer here and in simtropolis forums, but I didn't find anything. It seems like you're the only one that knows this trick! Can you show me please?  :P