• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JPlumbley's Experiment Cove

Started by jplumbley, December 15, 2006, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

OK to start I will explain the basis for this topic.

I am going to use this thread for ideas, concepts and general experimentation.  It will be a place to showcase new ideas I have come up with or some brainstorming ideas that float around NHP and get tested.

Anyways, I will start off my experimentation of what I did about a week ago and posted in ST.  This is for my one way road mod that might start to take off soon.  If anyone has seen RHW (Rural Highway Mod) by qurlix, you will recognize that I am attempting to essentially adapt his work to another network.  In this case one way roads.  So.... What I am trying to do is make a 2-tile wide one way road that has 5 lanes and parking in the outside two lanes.  The texture I used was created by Beskhu3epnm.

Well heres a couple pics of what I have done.

Picture 1

Picture 2

In picture 1, I drew the path of the one ways to both go in the same direction, downwards using the technique I figured out with arranging the textures properly the other day, was also able to draw them for the opposite direction.  When I did this though I was not sure if this method would have an effect on the paths.  I proved that it doesnt seem to with picture 2.  In picture 2 I drew the roads with the same method, just one side with the arrows facing one way and the other side facing in the opposite direction.  This did not have any effect on the textures because they came out the same, a good thing.  But!!  It made the paths for each side of the road go in opposite directions.  Meaning that when the OWR is originally drawn and a texture override is created, then the paths will follow the direction that the OWR was drawn.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jeronij

Hi JP, its been a long time since I played with transit networks, but I remember they are a nightmare  ::) .

I am sorry but I can not help you much with this issue. You need Tropod, Smoncrie or Karybdys at leats, and they are hard to find. But I can help you with T21 exemplars if you need some help, or with some props, as I made for the street side mod.

I hope somebody can give you a hand with this  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jplumbley

So today I finally got around tp downloading the latest update for SC4Terraformer.  To see what my comembers of NHP have forced magical wouanagaine  &hlp to come up with.  The first thing I noticed was because of the way I draw my PEGs rivers all of them were turned black from the contour lines.  It looks cool so heres a pic of it.  :satisfied:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

wouanagaine

Hey that's a nice pic !

so you have lay down your peg stream evenly around 5m ?

( And for other=> It is hand drawn !!!!!! ( damn where is the hand clapping smiley )

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jplumbley

No wou I dont have to lay it in 5m increments but... I just do it in 5, 10, 15, 20 since its easy to keep track of.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Alfred.Jones

Keep it up ;) That looks awesome Jplumbley

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

jacqulina

jeronij

Quote from: wouanagaine on December 22, 2006, 02:37:16 PM
Hey that's a nice pic !

so you have lay down your peg stream evenly around 5m ?

( And for other=> It is hand drawn !!!!!! ( damn where is the hand clapping smiley )

QuotePosted by: jplumbley
No wou I dont have to lay it in 5m increments but... I just do it in 5, 10, 15, 20 since its easy to keep track of.

Please, no codified languages are allowed in this site  :D !!!!  What are you talking about  %confuso

wngn, just click the "more" link after the last icon  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jplumbley

Hey, thanks for all the comments guys.

Jeronij... Thats not codified language  $%Grinno$%  In the last SC4TF, contour lines were integrated.  The contour lines show up at 5m intervals and if you noticed the rivers I made for PEGs Pond Kit have showed up all black.  This is because I draw them at elevations in increments of 5, 10, 15, and 20m for the heights of the waterfalls.  It turned out pretty cool I think, and wou was commenting on it.  The rest of it is hand drawn, or from the original landscape I was given (most in this picture was hand drawn).

I have been working on making this map playable for Beskhu3epnm for 4 months now.  It is very large and I am about 2 days or so away from completing it.  I will have pictures on xmas day or boxing day to post and will attempt for an upload here and at STEX on Wednesday this week after NHP approval.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

jplumbley

Heres a quick preview of Invermere Valley....  Its a map of 12x12 Large City tiles.  I used dedgren's tutorial to make this picture.  Its a thumbnail because its 1250x1250 pixels.  Check it out...

There is only a little bit of work left to do on the southern shore of the valley river.  Should have it done by Monday and uploaded by Wednesday.  Mini maps of this region will be created for those who like smaller maps and medium sized maps.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Alfred.Jones

Sim City 4 Devotion

pvarcoe

wow!

JPlumbley, I have waiting to see the final product for a while now, and it looks great.
That is a cool map-style shot.
I played around a bit after reading dedgren's tutorial too, but you have it nailed down.

Nice Stuff.

TheTeaCat

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

bat

jacqulina

jplumbley

I have finished up work on Invermere Valley.  The following 2 pictures have been posted for approval by NHP.  When this map is approved, which according to feedback throughout the process it should be approved rather quickley it will be uploaded here and at the STEX on ST.  Im done  &apls  After this is uploaded I plan to start lotting.... For myself so I can play the game again after a long wait.  I will also continue work on OWR-5 and hope that it goes somewhere.

Thank you everyone for your comments!!

@pvarcoe  Man I never really knew anyone was following my development of this project since very few had posted in my previews over at ST.  Glad to hear you have been waiting!!

Street Addon Mod - SAM

bat

mattb325

That map is unbelievable. Insane - and to think it was hand done!!!! &apls

jplumbley

Thanks for the comments!!

I have a quick correction for you Mattb....  Beskhu3epnm took at 1:1 scale of a portion of the Columbia River in British Columbia, Canada.  The terrain was not very playable so in September when NHP was founded he asked me "to work my magic" on the valley and make it playable.  I have done my best.  One of the tricky parts to making this map playable but asthetically pleasing was to mix Fantasy with RL.  I think that has come out pretty well.  So I cannot take the credit of this entire map being hand terraformed when in actuality the valley is the only part I did.

Thank you Beskhu3epnm for allowing me to take part in this amazing project!

Some things great about this map is there are:
The amazing RL mountains and terrain.  Thanks to Besk!

The attributes I tried to implement into this map were.....
-  Making this map playable for all players from, the beginner to the expert.  There is alot of challenging terrain, aswell as flat opens space for growth and beginners.  The terrain in the valley also varies alot allowing for growth of the player to learn and become better at dealing with terrain features.
-  Also blending the terrain I created with the RL terrain Besk has been so kind as to provide for me.
-  Some pre-flattened areas for 3-dimensional rivers for use with PEGs Pond and Stream Kits, or ploppable river with a little bit of extra terraforming.
-  And most importantly ENDLESS opportunities and directions you can take your cities and regions.

Street Addon Mod - SAM