• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Map Tutorial: How to use a terrain mod (get it installed right)

Started by Heblem, March 19, 2008, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heblem

Map Tutorial: How to use a terrain mod (get it installed right)
Long thread tutorial, keep refreshing for images!!

While you install a map, most of the you looking for a good terrain mod representation, this tutorial show you how to use the perfect and accurate terrain mod for your taste, ill explain here how to install by the correct way a terrain mod, including the famous Columbus terrain mod and its trees :P

First of all you need to have installed a region map in your region folder, for preference empty regions.

This thread contains 8 tutorials, please pick one of your preference:
How to install a terrain mod (the easy way)
How to install a CP terrain mod
Render a Terrain Mod
How to install Columbus terrain mod
How to install CP god mode trees.
Uses of beach, water and rock mods.
Uses of terrain properties.
Tips for recreate an climate area.

IN CONSTRUCTION PLEASE BE PATINENT UNTIL I COMPLETE THIS TUTORIAL

Heblem

How to install a terrain mod (the easy way).
This tutorial will explain you how to install a normal terrain mod (not CP ones)

Requirements for this tutorial:
-Windows (preference XP, thats what im using for this tutorial, if you are a macintosh user i dont know differences for both operative systems)
-SimCity 4 (preference Rush Hour or Deluxe, not sure how this works at normal SimCity 4)
-Winzip (or other, for extract files)

Notes from the author: Im using a spanish windows XP operative system, please follow this tutorial carefully and instructions.

Step A: Extract your terrain winzip file.
First of all, make a new folder called terrain mod in your plugins folder located at documents/simcity 4/plugins.

Let's download a terrain mod, you need to look for any "normal" terrain mod, what I mean? well the normal one are those that doesn't need any dependence, or almost you found all the files in the same zip without looking for another file. Its important that you don't have any other terrain mod in your plugins folder, otherwise you'll have incompatibility problems and it may crash your game, be careful.

I'll take as example this terrain mod by trankdog. Download here.
WARNING BY USING THIS TERRAIN MOD: This map may cause crashing to your desktop if you try to render maps with a elevation higher than 1,500 meters, be careful. Please view this tutorial Uses of terrain properties.

Extract all the files by simply selecting all the files and dragging the files into your Terrain Mod folder you created

Please move on to render a terrain mod.

Other well know "normal" terrain mods:
San Faraway Terrain Mod by Heblem
Desert terrain mod by Heblem (download at "descargar")
THL Terrain Pack
Alien Terrain
Grass Lands Terrain Mod

Heblem

Render a Terrain Mod
For to render a terrain mod, obvious you need to have any terrain mod installed in your plugins folder, otherwise it will be smply the maxis terrain mod as default.

-Windows (preference XP, thats what im using for this tutorial, if you are a macintosh user i dont know differences for both operative systems)
-SimCity 4 (preference Rush Hour or Deluxe, not sure how this works at normal SimCity 4)

Notes from the author: Im using a spanish windows XP operative system, please follow this tutorial carefully and instructions.

Step A: Load your game
Load your SimCity 4 game and start a new city. (the green terrain that im showing in my preview is a map by a sc4file, please view this tutorial for more info, usually if you imported a map by a greyscale the map should be with a maxis terrain mod)

After opening you city tile, the terrain should look like this, (REMEMBER if you imported a region with a sc4m file, remember to use the cancel button at reconcile option, for more info please view Check a sc4m region in game)

Now save and exit to region.

Congratulations, now you have your first tile rendered, try repeating the process with the another neighbor tile

Heblem

How to install a CP terrain mod
This tutorial will explain you how to install CP terrain mod, following dependencies.

Notes from the author: I'm using a spanish windows XP operative system, please follow this tutorial carefully and instructions.

Step A: Extract your terrain mod sc4 files
CP is one of the best terrain mods creator, he did most of the terrain mods you found around of the web, most of the terrain are top quality and best used for realistic maps.

With this tutorial will show you how to install a normal CP terrain mod. lets move on...
I'll take as example CPT Italia Terrain Mod Watch out for dependencies listed in the file description.
Also download CPT No3 Terrain Textures and CPT No4 Terrain Textures.

After downloading the main terrain mod file, you should look for a .exe file inside your zip, double click on that exe...

Accept all terms and conditions and change the destination folder for better organization (just to separate terrain mods from original plugins, better control during changing a terrain mod to another, the blank part is censored  ;D)

Continue accepting until you get to the read me, don't forget to install the dependencies.
Repeat the same installation process with the dependencies, or simply move all your stuff at TerrainMods folder that the first installer generated. Make sure that you don't have any other CP terrain mod or normal terrain mod, you can use wouanagaine's cleanitool program for to look for old files (use the .text file with the program)

Now go on to render a terrain mod after you done, your region should look like this... congratulations you installed a CP terrain mod.

Remember you can modify with reader the CPT_No6_ItaliaTerrainController_Essential for different snow heights, beach height etc, please view uses of terrain properties. Also you can change by the optional file for another rock, water and beach mod, please visit Uses of beach, water and rock mods tutorial for more information.

Other CP terrain mods:
Meadowshire Terrain Mod
CPT Grand Canyon Terrain Mod (is suggested to use this terrain mod only for the Grand Canyon Map by CP otherwise if you use this terrain mod in another map you'll get unwanted results).
CPT Canyonlands Terrain Mod
CPT Painted Desert Terrain Mod
CPT Missouri Breaks Terrain Mod
CPT Olympic Terrain Mod

For columbus terrain mod, please view How to install Columbus terrain mod tutorial.

Heblem

How to install Columbus terrain mod
This is a special tutorial that explains you how to intall propely Columbus Terrain Mod.

Notes from the author: I'm using a spanish windows XP operative system, please follow this tutorial carefully and instructions.

Step A: Install it!
Only follow this tutorial if you dont have installed columbus terrain mod, or any other. Download it here
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=13804

After downloading ATTENTION, take a look to this section of the installer, it depends how your terrain preferences will be...

Columbus Terrain Mod, this is the first option on the line, this file is the main file, as default it should be tagged on.

Terrain Textures, this is optional, just tag it if youre going to use the default rock, beach and water textures for the terrain mod, if youre planning using some other mods, just don't select.

Terrain Parameter, this is important, this establish the snow height, if it snow line is low then the snow is lower, i mean it occupies almost 90% of the mountain, if the snow line is high then the it occupies about 25% of the mountain with snow.

After you done, leave the folder as it is (Columbus terrain mod) in your plugins folder and keep on.

Your Terrain mod should be now installed at your plugins folder.
Note: make sure to simply delete the Columbus terrain mod archives from your Start menu and remove it from your list of programs, occupies unnecessary space, its optional. (it won't delete the mod be sure to just remove from the list in your pc)

Step B: Play the game
Now open your SimCity 4 and load every city tile, more info here.
Your terrain mod should look like this, i've used a low snow line.

Heblem

How to install CP God mode trees.
Well this could be off-topic from mapping tutorial forums, but believe or not this is a fundamental piece for a map, some good trees for your god mode, let me explain, sometimes its better to fill custom trees to an entire city tile with god mod, rather than using maxis tress or plopping every tree at mayor mode. This tutorial explains how to install your preferment god mod tree, enjoy!.

Step A: Download and install the main/pack file
This main/pack file is important because this includes many and different variations of trees available for to plop with god mod, also there are many other trees as separate files that includes different variation of trees. Many of these files requires to download external dependencies.

First of all, lets download this file, CPTNo7AssortedTreeControllers http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=12362

After downloading at the zip double click on the .exe application, and be carefully while installing. WARNING, only you must have a CPT_No7_TreeController of any sort in your plugins, NO MORE THAN ONE.

Cycledog Tree Mod: this file include the CPT_No8_TreeModelsPartOne.dat CPT_No9_TreeModelsPartTwo.dat, so basically are main files and included dependencies that you will need, it MUST be selected.

Tree controller: you must select just one type of tree that you will use at god mode, ill show you whats about at every tree.

THE LIST OF CPT_No7_TreeControllers
Original maxis trees: this just simple leave the maxis trees as default, but either at mayor mode you can plop any of the trees at dependency.

Generic Mixture of all trees: this put of everything (at the pack) in your god mode trees.

Selection of conifers:

Douglas Fir:

Lodgepole pine:

Burnt Lodgepole pine:

Aspen:

Ponderosa Pine:

Subalpine Fir:

Shore Pine:

Redwood:

Western Larch:

Pinyon Pine:

Cottonwood:

Western Redcedar:

Elm:

Juniper:

After selecting the tree that most fits into your region, click on next.
Now please change the destination folder to your TreeMods folder, should be like this...

Go on install it!...
Please view the read me for author information, the tree mod its installed now, should work proplely in game  :)
Note: make sure to simply delete the Columbus terrain mod archives from your Start menu and remove it from your list of programs, occupies unnecessary space, its optional. (it won't delete the mod be sure to just remove from the list in your pc)

Step B: Test your trees in game
Open your game, and open any city tile, just go to your god mode menu and plop some trees to anywhere you want and see if it works!  ;)

Interested in more trees?!? heres a list and link for CPs recent trees!...
Warning:  is recomend leave the destination file as default...

Dependencies for all tree mods: (the main/pack file contains the first two dependencies)
BSC Prop Pack Cycledogg No 1
BSC CP PropPack Vol02
BSC Props Jeronij Vol 02 Trees
Jeronij Props Vol 03 Plopable Trees and Seasonal Woods
BSC MEGA Props SG Vol 01 
BSC MEGA Props - MJB Vol01
Desert Flora Mod
BSC MEGA Props D66 Vol01
BSC MEGA Props - swi21 Vol01
BSC MEGA Props - swi21 Vol02
BSC MEGA Props - RT Vol01

Meadowshire River Tree Mod