• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Map Tutorial: How to import a SC4M file to SimCity 4

Started by Heblem, March 19, 2008, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heblem

Map Tutorial: How to import a SC4M file to SimCity 4

Some other maps you found around the web is by a SC4M file, this file is designed to work with programs such as SC4 Terraformer and SC4Mapper, it includes the config.bmp and the map propierties, this file brings the best quality for sharing  ;)

If you want to create your own SC4M map, please visit this tutorial, Map Tutorial: SC4Terraformer (Hand made-terraforming 16-bit)

This thread contains two tutorials, please pick one of your preference:
How to import a SC4M file to SimCity 4 using SC4Mapper.
How to import a SC4M file to SimCity 4 using SC4TerraFormer.
Also includes a tutorial How to check a SC4M region in Game.

Heblem

How to import a SC4M file to SimCity 4 using SC4Mapper.

Requirements for this tutorial:
-Windows (preference XP, thats what im using for this tutorial, if you are a macintosh user i dont know differences for both operative systems)
-SimCity 4 (preference Rush Hour or Deluxe, not sure how this works at normal SimCity 4)
-SC4Mapper (download here, you have to register at LEX Exchange for download)

Notes from the author: Im using a spanish windows XP operative system, please follow this tutorial carefully and instructions.

Step A: Extract your SC4M file.
If you downloaded a sc4M map, ususally at STEX or LEX, you should only get the SC4M file inside of the zip, i'll will take as example this map i've downloaded at LEX, NHP Columbia River Valley by beskhu3pnm.

Just extract the .SC4M file to your desktop (or anywhere of your preference)

Also includes other files information, as the html is about how to upload the file, and author notes about the file, it includes a customize terrain properties (more info please visit Map Tutorial: Customize your own terrain mod (in construction)

Step B: Using SC4Mapper
Open your SC4Mapper by wouanagaine and click on create region.

A new window appears, please select SC4M

Look for the file you extracted (in your desktop) and click open.

A Sc4M author notes should appear just click ok, or sometimes not.
Please wait until your region loads, it can take few seconds.

Now your screen should look like this, click on save region.

You can choose any name you want to the map region, not necessary the original name (neither mine as example  $%Grinno$%)

Now just waint until it finish making the map could take few minutes (depending of your comp specs)

After it finish, just close the program

For continue, Check a SC4M region in game...

Heblem

How to import a SC4M file to SimCity 4 using SC4TerraFormer.

Requirements for this tutorial:
-Windows (preference XP, thats what im using for this tutorial, if you are a macintosh user i dont know differences for both operative systems)
-SimCity 4 (preference Rush Hour or Deluxe, not sure how this works at normal SimCity 4)
-SC4TerraFormer v1.1 (download here, you have to register at LEX Exchange for download)

Notes from the author: I'm using a spanish windows XP operative system, please follow this tutorial carefully and instructions.

Step A: Extract your SC4M file.
If you downloaded a SC4M map, usually at STEX or LEX, you should only get the SC4M file inside of the zip, i'll will take as example this map i've downloaded at LEX, NHP Columbia River Valley by beskhu3pnm.

Just extract the .SC4M file to your desktop (or anywhere of your preference)

Also includes other files information, as the html is about how to upload the file, and author notes about the file, it includes a customize terrain properties (more info please visit Map Tutorial: Customize your own terrain mod (in construction)

Step B: Using SC4TerraFormer.
Open your SC4TerraFormer, and open any city you want (preference a small one)

Just wait for it loading at click on ok.
After loading click on file / create region.

-Give the regon name you want
-It's optional to change the city size, for suggestion leave as it is
-Search for your SC4M file where you extracted it (in my case at desktop)

An Authors note window should appear (or not depending)
Just close it on the top right close button
Wait until your region is loaded/created, could take a few seconds.
After it's done, file/ save region

Wait until it saves the region, could take a few minutes (depending of your comp specs)

After it done just close the program.

For to continue please follow Check a SC4M region in game.

Heblem

Check a SC4M region in game

Open your SimCity 4 Rush Hour or Deluxe
Try loading the new region you made at SC4Mapper.

Now your region should look like this... you could be asking whats wrong?

Well, thats the default terrain that the sc4terraformer or SC4mapper generates after making a map from a SC4M, this step is important, either you can install a  terrain mod before rendering (please view Map Tutorial: How to use a terrain mod (get it installed right) ) or continue rendering with maxis default terrain mod.

Just open every city tile, for now just open the first one.
After opening any city, a message in game appears, THIS IS IMPORTANT, JUST CLICK ON CANCEL! otherwise if you click on Reconcile now, the city edges will be different from the city neighbor and that will cauce that your map looks different, just repeat that same process at any city you open.

Now just save and exit to region.

Repeat the same process with all city tiles, until you get all the region rendered, this could be tedious just be patient.