• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RECREATIONS, by ejc

Started by ejc, July 27, 2007, 08:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejc

SC4 European citybuilding based on real cities. High level of detail, and no-grid.. that's what my regions are all about!!

RUHRGEBIET

Provence; Nordrhein-Westfalen
Sqaure Kilometer; 4435km2
Inhabitants; 5.317.565 Inh. per Square KM; 1200
Geographic Stats; 51° 12' - 51° 49' N.  & 6° 22' - 7° 59' E.
Website; www.ruhrgebiet.de

The Ruhr Area, also called simply Ruhr, (German Ruhrgebiet, colloquial Ruhrpott or Kohlenpott) is an urban area in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, consisting of a number of large formerly industrial cities bordered by the rivers Ruhr to the south, Rhine to the west, and Lippe to the north. Southwest it borders the Bergisch land. The area, with some 5.3 million people, is considered part of the larger Rhine-Ruhr metropolian-Area of more than 12 million people. (including Düsseldorf, Köln, Bonn etc wich are not YET included in this MD)

Going from west to east, the area includes the city boroughs of Duisburg, Oberhausen, Bottrop, Mülheim a/d Ruhr, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Herne, Hamm, Hagen, and Dortmund as well as parts of the more "rural" districts Wesel, Recklinghausen, Unna and Ennepe-Ruhr. These districts have grown into a large complex forming an industrial landscape of unique size, inhabited by some 5.3 million people, the fourth largest urban area in Europe after Moscow, Greater London and Paris.

The Ruhr-gebiet has grown in the time coal-mining develloped. It's filled with it!

World-famous; the "Autobahn" in Germany

The aerial-shot of the total Region (for now, the region will be expanded on modular base as develloping continues)

So, I'm kicking in on SC4Devotion with my MD that is allready running on ST.. First updated will be copy-pasted with highlights from my ST-City Journal to let people introduce to the region. After the first few updated I will regularly update the MD as I'm develloping the region further.
I hope I will get the same support as with my other CityJournals.. It's up to you!!

Cheers,

E

FromTheAshes

I'm looking really forward to this :thumbsup:
BTW: It's not the nicest picture of an Autobahn, is it? :D
Visit Vorsfelde.

FissileBread

Wow this is gonna be great, I can't wait to see some developpement!

sebes

Thanks EJC for opening the Ruhrgebiet here too. I love your MD and will whatch it closely!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

thundercrack83

This looks very interesting! I'll definitely be looking forward to following along with this! Do you plan on doing an complete and accurate recreation or are you giving it your own spin? Either way, I bet it will be outstanding!

Andreas

Quote from: FromTheAshes on July 27, 2007, 08:54:23 AM

True - but on the other hand, many Autobahns aren't exactly that magnificient as they are known in the other countries. The "no speed limit" applies for at most half of them, while the others are restricted to 80, 100 or 130 km/h at most. What I'm also missing on the pic is the huge number of trucks that occupy the right lane nowadays.

Anyway, I've glanced into this CJ at ST now and then, and I was pretty amazed - it's great that you decided to show your region here as well! :)
Andreas

dedgren

A fine start- very definitive and sets the stage for what I know will be great pics to come.  I lived in the Rheinpfalz area (Pirmasens) south of the Ruhr area on the French border for two wonderful years in the late 1970s- bicycled the length of the Moselle River in Germany just south of where RUHRGEBIET is set.  I'm sure I'm going to love looking at this MD!

Viel glück!

David

p.s.- I know that's German, but it's as close as I can get. -DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

Sweeeeeet i cant wait to see this devolpe and its about time EJc you get going on a MD  :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

A great start of this MD! Looking forward to more... :thumbsup:

ejc

REGION FORMING

This update will include the steps from terraforming and laying out infrastructure aswell some first building-activity..

February '07 (Highways and B-straBe in western parts around Duisburg, Mülheim and Essen)

March '07 (Expanding eastwards and lay out main infrastructure in Bochum and Dortmund)

March/April '07 (Detail in Duisburg, Main (rail)roads throughout entire region)

April '07 (Develloping Duisburg, Terraforming Sauerland)

ejc

REPLIES

Quote from: bat on July 28, 2007, 03:17:58 AM
A great start of this MD! Looking forward to more... :thumbsup:

More will come!! Thumbsup back 2 you!

Quote from: patfirefghtr on July 28, 2007, 03:11:03 AM
Sweeeeeet i cant wait to see this devolpe and its about time EJc you get going on a MD  :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

It allready is develloped, first I introduce the region...

Quote from: dedgren on July 27, 2007, 10:47:51 PM
A fine start- very definitive and sets the stage for what I know will be great pics to come.  I lived in the Rheinpfalz area (Pirmasens) south of the Ruhr area on the French border for two wonderful years in the late 1970- bicycled the length of the Moselle River in Germany just south of where RUHRGEBIET is set.  I'm sure I'm going to love looking at this MD!

Viel glück!

David

p.s.- I know that's German, but it's as close as I can get. -DE

OK, you should see some German aspects in this CJ.....  ;D

Quote from: Andreas on July 27, 2007, 02:46:21 PM
True - but on the other hand, many Autobahns aren't exactly that magnificient as they are known in the other countries. The "no speed limit" applies for at most half of them, while the others are restricted to 80, 100 or 130 km/h at most. What I'm also missing on the pic is the huge number of trucks that occupy the right lane nowadays.

Anyway, I've glanced into this CJ at ST now and then, and I was pretty amazed - it's great that you decided to show your region here as well! :)

Nice support! It's cool to see German people like the region allready :thumbsup:

Quote from: thundercrack83 on July 27, 2007, 10:48:29 AM
This looks very interesting! I'll definitely be looking forward to following along with this! Do you plan on doing an complete and accurate recreation or are you giving it your own spin? Either way, I bet it will be outstanding!

It will be around 70-80% accurate.. Only the scale is a bit down, lets say about 2/3 of real-life. So a large city-tile stretches for I think 6x6km (in simcity as 100% accurate would be 4x4km)

Quote from: sebes on July 27, 2007, 09:37:47 AM
Thanks EJC for opening the Ruhrgebiet here too. I love your MD and will whatch it closely!

Yeah, it was stupid not having running it here, also SC4dev is a great help with my regions / plugins!

Quote from: FissileBread on July 27, 2007, 09:09:44 AM
Wow this is gonna be great, I can't wait to see some developpement!

Wait & See is all I can say  :satisfied:

Quote from: FromTheAshes on July 27, 2007, 08:54:23 AM
I'm looking really forward to this :thumbsup:

haha, No I know.. but, in the Ruhr-area most highways aren't that nice as in the rest of Germany. There's no time to renovate the roads because it would be just mayhem if you close them down! Congestion will horrify the region if closed down....

Vario80

This is really a nice start and i'm going to keep track of your CJ. The treeaforming and the layout of the autobahnen is already pretty well done i think. &apls Looking forward to more. Glück auf (as my father would say, it's pitman's language and means Good luck)! :thumbsup:

Avatar: Atlantic Hotel Sail City- The new landmark of Bremerhaven

Ennedi

Very good start, ejc! I'm sure it will be great MD and I'm glad the Best Picture Competition (with small part of mine  :D) determined you to show it here!

I like your way of planning very much and I'm very interested in it's effects.
I like driving and I love German Autobahns - all of them (although in the Ruhrgebiet this network is very complicated - but very well signed  ;D)
I don't know this region very good (I was only in Essen and Oberhausen, and also in Koln and Bonn - Rheinland is great!). But I know this climate. My hometown in Poland, Bielsko-Biała, lies on hilly terrain near Czech and Slovak border, but this is a south part of the biggest Polish industrial region - Silesia. It is also filled by mines, steelworks and other heavy industry. About 80% of my works is performed in Silesian industrial plants  :D)

Best wishes
Ennedi
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

thundercrack83

WOW, those region views look tremendous, ejc! I can't wait to see some close up picture of the region. And thanks for answering my question about whether it will be a recreation. I'll have to take a look at some real maps of the area to see how close you get, but something tells me that you're going to really close! Great job!

Pat

WoW and some more wow a totaly diffrent view on your MD here EJC and i love it... great update and for sure i will see you next one - pat    :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Fantastic pictures of the region, ejc! Great work! :thumbsup:

urban

Great work!

I have seen some of it already on Simtropolis, but I'm glad you post it here as well, since I'm not very often at ST. I love the Sauerland and my friends and I sometimes go to weekend skiing to Winterberg (if there is actually enough snow :P)
The work so far looks well done (at least in the region view) and I hope to see some development of the Sauerland soon...

dAVid

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

ejc

REPLIES

Quote from: urban on July 29, 2007, 08:55:32 AM
Great work!

I have seen some of it already on Simtropolis, but I'm glad you post it here as well, since I'm not very often at ST. I love the Sauerland and my friends and I sometimes go to weekend skiing to Winterberg (if there is actually enough snow :P)
The work so far looks well done (at least in the region view) and I hope to see some development of the Sauerland soon...

dAVid

development in Sauerland will continue this winter as I am going back there for skiing. First I will develop the Ruhr / Emscher - area

Quote from: bat on July 29, 2007, 02:05:54 AM
Fantastic pictures of the region, ejc! Great work! :thumbsup:

wait until it's fully developed  :o

Quote from: patfirefghtr on July 28, 2007, 02:16:06 PM
WoW and some more wow a totaly diffrent view on your MD here EJC and i love it... great update and for sure i will see you next one - pat    :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I hope to pick up some speed now so I can come to close-ups soon

Quote from: thundercrack83 on July 28, 2007, 11:31:56 AM
WOW, those region views look tremendous, ejc! I can't wait to see some close up picture of the region. And thanks for answering my question about whether it will be a recreation. I'll have to take a look at some real maps of the area to see how close you get, but something tells me that you're going to really close! Great job!

infrastructure is about 90 - 95 % accurate. Only in the Duisburg-area aren't the main-roads well planned out, only highways and railroads. But, as I said sometime before on ST-forums; the more I play, the more realism and recreation I will develop....

Quote from: Ennedi on July 28, 2007, 05:06:27 AM
Very good start, ejc! I'm sure it will be great MD and I'm glad the Best Picture Competition (with small part of mine  :D) determined you to show it here!

I like your way of planning very much and I'm very interested in it's effects.
I like driving and I love German Autobahns - all of them (although in the Ruhrgebiet this network is very complicated - but very well signed  ;D)
I don't know this region very good (I was only in Essen and Oberhausen, and also in Koln and Bonn - Rheinland is great!). But I know this climate. My hometown in Poland, Bielsko-Biała, lies on hilly terrain near Czech and Slovak border, but this is a south part of the biggest Polish industrial region - Silesia. It is also filled by mines, steelworks and other heavy industry. About 80% of my works is performed in Silesian industrial plants  :D)

Best wishes
Ennedi

Fukuda is making some absolutely stunning things by my request; BLAM is gonna hit hard as that all is released!!!  :bomb:

Quote from: Vario80 on July 28, 2007, 04:30:37 AM
This is really a nice start and i'm going to keep track of your CJ. The treeaforming and the layout of the autobahnen is already pretty well done i think. &apls Looking forward to more. Glück auf (as my father would say, it's pitman's language and means Good luck)! :thumbsup:

non-grid are my 2 words  :-\

ejc

RUHR-ART

Selection of the best pics for you guys @ SC4Devotion  :satisfied:

Always looking nice; traffic on the move on the German Autobahn

A typical contrast for the Ruhr-Area; housing and dirty industry all mixed up together...

Huge powerstations flanking the steelmills and mining pitts

Powerstation in the north of the region near "Gladbeck"

Cooling towers all the way!!

Dirty industries fill up the northern areas, Gelsenkirchen, Bottrop and Duisburg are filled with it!

Some harbour-activity near the Rhine-River

Pat

oooh EJC those are soo wonderful pictures i loved the Rhine river the best...
if you havent noticed the colors of your pictures and the new background go
very well with each other - pat