• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Travels Down I-85: A MD of the North Carolina Piedmont (Update 9.15.07)

Started by pickled_pig, March 23, 2007, 07:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickled_pig

Hey everyone:

I'm going off to Rhode Island for the week on the 2nd of April.  Until then, I'd like to cram as many updates as possible into the next three days.  I'm betting I won't have computer access up there, and as said earlier...
QuoteI'll be going up to Rhode Island and will probably have no access to the Internet unless I find myself at Panera Bread.
...even if I do have a computer there's no chance of me having Internet access unless I find myself anywhere where there's free wi-fi - Panera was the first place that comes to mind, probably because it's very close to where I'll be in RI.

I'll probably put up some stuff here, be it more hand-drawn maps, mosaics - who knows - that's going to be exclusive to the SC4D version of the journal tomorrow.

David (dedgren) - If you ever get hold of those hand-drawn maps I'd love to see them potentially at 3RR or anywhere else.
It's always great seeing you stop by.
On a side note, I said this over at my comment at 3RR, but I might say it again:  I've changed my mind and am now interested in developing a quad, if it's still possible.

Sebes - Look no farther than this update for that.  Thanks for dropping by here,

Thundercrack83 - Prehaps it could be because I've been drawing these maps for at least ten years now.  Though the first eight years of maps were very unrealistic and quite horrific, I stayed with it and developed the craft into what it is now.  Thanks!

Heinz - As for Internet access over the break, as I said prior, probably not, but if I do, I'll certainly make my rounds through the MDs.  Thanks for visiting.

Pat - Thanks and I'll hope to see you soon also!

bat - Thank you!

Anyway, here's the next update:

See you soon
-aaron

bat

Heinz

seeing you around the MDs would be nice. great update my man. incredible dedication to your plans for development. enjoy your vacation

dedgren

What... no stars yet?

We'll fix that...

...rummages around and picks out 5 nice big ones...

There you go, my friend.

I'm pretty jet-lag bleary to make any detailed comments at this point (it's 4:45 a.m. in Texas and I've been awake since 2) on the last update, but it looks great.  I'll get back around in a bit.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

chocolatemax

Hey!

I just had to comment on those winding roads!  I love 'em!  Oh, and those suburbs look just like one near by, except the trees are a bit greener!   ;)

Cheers.
Holy Inferiority Complex Batman!

thundercrack83

Germania looks fantastic. I love how you transferred your vision from the hand-drawn maps to the game, absolutely stunning! Great update, my friend!

pickled_pig

Hey everyone - I'll get to your comments sometime before I leave monday.

Though I will take this moment to thank David for those five stars now hanging to the right of this topic in the MD section.  Stuff like that really makes this MD appear more established into the SC4D patchwork...

As I may or may not have said in an earlier post, this MD is of the Graham-Wellington MSA - where Graham is a small sity of 110,000 and Wellington is its larger cousin, a banking and industrial hub of around 400,000.  So far we have only seen Graham and some outlying rural towns - Needham (unfortunately, you've got to see ST for Needham) and Germania.

Today you are going to get your first glimpse of Wellington.

First of all, here is Wellington in relationship to the Graham area:

As you can see, the two cities aren't terribly distant.  It would probably be around thirteen or fourteen miles from downtown Wellington to downtown Graham, if not fewer.

Finally, two shots of Wellington's downtown grid area:

Nothing spectacular, but it sets the stage for some future development.  Future development in Travels Down I-85 is probably going to start at Downtown Wellington and work its way back up the I-85 corridor towards Oilton (more on Oilton when the appropriate time comes) and Graham.

The plan is, hopefully, to have suburban sprawl almost all the way down the I-85 corridor between Wellington and Graham, with a couple gaps here and there.

Speaking of I-85, I'm going to be on the real I-85 corridor from Petersburg, VA to Charlotte, NC next week.  Part of our plan is that we are driving back from Rhode Island.  If I'm lucky I might be able to snap some good photos and present you with a couple of updates of pure roadgeekiness.

-aaron

sebes

Great update :thumbsup:  It's great how you are building up an entire region not starting with the largest city! Enjoy your break !
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

thundercrack83

The grid for Wellington looks great so far, I can't wait to see when you start developing it. Also, I'll be looking forward to some of the pictures you can snap on your way from Petersburg to Charlotte. Have a good trip, my friend!

pickled_pig

Bat - Thanks for your comment!

Heinz - Thanks for wishing me a good vacation.  Right now, it's a lot of stress because we're trying to determine what's happening on each day... one day's bound to be college visits, one day's bound to be visiting relatives, we have to go to IKEA on another day, so on.

David - I think all was cleared in the last post.  I'll be waiting to see what you have to say regarding those changes to the MD section.

Chocolatemax - Ah... another ST transplant's come over to SC4D!
...reminds me, I have to transfer the update 13 stuff over to ST - someday...
Thanks for visiting!

thundercrack83 - Thanks!  Actually, the drive is from North Kingstown, RI to Charlotte NC:

Though the route we take is rather different than the route Google Maps suggests.
But the Petersburg to Charlotte part is all on I-85 (as I must have previously said) - making it relevant to this MD.  You probably figured that out, but it doesn't hurt to clarify.

Sebes - Thanks!

Anyway, I figured it would be nice to present you with another teaser of a developed Germania.  As you can see, I am experimenting with creating a realistic inner city area:

I'll be back next Monday.  Until then
-aaron

Gaston

Great stuff pp.     I used to live in Franklin NC (in the mountains) so I have travelled i-85 a few times myself.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

dedgren

Just like a cracking plant- spread some flowers outside the fence and pretend everything smells just fine.

...I used to live in Petersburg- think I told you that once.  I-85 terminated at I-95 about a half-mile from my house.

The teaser just made me hungry for more...

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

Great teaser, Aaron! And thanks for that shot of your route from Rhode Island to Charlotte. That kind of stuff fascinates me like you wouldn't believe. I'll be looking forward to the next update!

Heinz

teasing teaser my friend. really hope you enjoy your visit. hope it goes well and that you get there and back here to MDing safe and sound.

pickled_pig

I came back from Rhode Island on Sunday night,and since then, I've attempted to be active here on SC4D...
...but there is also something called RL.

No pictures from the trip down South, but I did manage, though purely from luck, to make a stop a few miles from the real Graham, North Carolina, at which I got a bottle of water at an Eckerd:  a bottle from which I am still drinking.

Amazing.  Revelatory.  Whatever.

I see that David has taken the liberty of filing this MD into the "classics" section, which comes to me as a pleasant surprise.  Though I still find the categorizing pigeonholing, I won't go down that path.

Gaston - Franklin?  I was down by that area on a vacation in 2000 to the Smokies.  Don't remember it much, though, except that as soon as you got out of the park (be it on the NC or TN side) it was all tourist-trap sprawl.  Thanks for commenting.

David - Yeah, you did tell me that.  Which I thought of when we went through Petersburg and connected to I-85 from I-95.
You are right - the people traveling the highway (NC-117, for those keeping score) do need something pleasant at which to look...

Thundercrack83 - Thanks!

Heinz - Thanks, I'll probably be back to actually MDing tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I'll end up giving you the tail end of update 14 (though the past 2 sets of pics have no numbers, they are stored in the "update 14" subfolder of my "travels down i-85" folder) with some shots of the interchanges of Wellington.  Currently, I have laid out most of downtown (uptown?) Wellington and have built most of a middle class residential neighborhood I plan to call "The Park".  As some random trivia, the main arterial road that travels through The Park is simply called "Avenue".  Nothing more.  If you go down I-95 south, you will see two exits (one in New Haven CT and one in Richmond VA) for streets simply called "Boulevard" - I decided to let Wellington have its own simply-named street.

-aaron

Pat

Aaron what a great many updates i see that i missed and man wow loved the google map
and cant wait for tomorrow upsdate - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

meinhosen

I've always enjoyed this MD, and the past update featuring the development in Wellington is one of the real reasons I like it- the look and feel are perfect.

Great work!
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

emilin

I should obviously follow this closer. I missed several updates here. You are doing an extremly well done job with the network. Those region shots are mindblowing! I minght not be quite as enthusiastic about building such realistic transit sollutions myself, but I sure do appriciate to see the master in action.

&apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

pickled_pig

Yeah, we're still alive down here.

I'm going to keep it simple this time around.  Just a few pictures of Wellington to keep things running smoothly.  I did promise interchange pictures, and I've made sure to deliver with 14.7.

-aaron

iamgoingtoeatyou

WOW! beautiful update, great work on the transportation networks! looking forward to more!  :thumbsup: