• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NO photos showing

Started by deanva, March 28, 2020, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanva

Why on this site are the older photos not showing up anymore? All you see is the broken photo icon. I am using the Firefox browser.

mattb325

Hi deanva,

This isn't an issue with the site. The reason that old posts are problematic is most likely caused by various photo-hosting sites to which the images were initially uploaded closing down or severely limiting the linking of files. This includes majhost, photobucket and so on (it's a really long list, I'm afraid).
Unfortunately, without the original authors returning and rehosting their photos on a new site, that these posts are likely to permanently have missing images.  :(

deanva

I had a feeling that might be the case, wish it was not so. Oh well. Thanks mattb325.

FrankU

Yeah well, some of those are my threads.
I had my images on Photobucket. It was free, but some day they decided I had to pay not a little sum to host my images. In these days I already lost interest in gaming and I did not feel like paying for a service. Or like putting them on another service and go thourgh all my threads in order to edit all the links... It would have been an enormous job.
I am afraid my threads are quite useless now. Sorry.

So that's for free services and making yourself dependent on it. Don't do it. And do not save your stuff in the cloud, unless you have a backup somewhere on a hard disk you have in your house somewhere.

Greetings!

thingfishs

For those that don't know, you can fix the semi-working photobucket links so that this:

becomes this:

It can be achieved by extensions for at least Firefox and Chrome:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

With the Chrome one, I am able to use the internal print/save as pdf function to save these pages as PDFs with the original images intact (whereas my "save page as PDF" type firefox extension saves them with the doctored versions).

Hope this helps someone (this used to frustrate me a lot).

wdb2021

If the image posted for a long time does not appear, then the updated version of the fox file that you have updated is not accepted from the older version.