• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Wide Radius Road Curves

Started by dedgren, April 09, 2007, 02:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Thanks, Dustin!  Actually, at least 90-99% of the stuff I did modding wise on these puzzle pieces carries over. At least for One-Way Roads, the changes I'd have to make would be pretty minor.  It would be mostly a copy-and-paste job.  For the Street network, it would be entirely a copy and paste job, with just a few small RUL changes.  The RUL coding for Avenues is a little more complicated. However, though a lot of what I did here would still apply, so it could actually be done rather quickly. ;)

-Alex

dedgren

Congratulations, Alex.  You and memo have made a bit of SC4 history here today.

QuoteThe tyrannical grip of the SC4 grid is loosening . . .   ;)

Indeed, my friend.  Indeed.

Well done, guys!  I'll get to work on cleaning up the road surface textures now.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

dedgren

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jeronij

These are the most excellent news  &apls
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Andreas

Looking awesome! :thumbsup: BTW, are those "seasonal God Mod trees"? Or just Mayor Mode mode trees with the fall model from Cycledogg's prop pack? I assume you didn't use lots with transparent base textures, since you placed them next to the road, but no sidewalks showed up. And if so, where can I download them? :)
Andreas

pvarcoe

Those look great as a stand-alone
and even  better in-game.
Very nice work guys!

thundercrack83

Quote from: Tarkus on April 22, 2007, 10:36:49 PM
Thanks, Dustin!  Actually, at least 90-99% of the stuff I did modding wise on these puzzle pieces carries over. At least for One-Way Roads, the changes I'd have to make would be pretty minor.  It would be mostly a copy-and-paste job.  For the Street network, it would be entirely a copy and paste job, with just a few small RUL changes.  The RUL coding for Avenues is a little more complicated. However, though a lot of what I did here would still apply, so it could actually be done rather quickly. ;)

-Alex

Well, if that's case, I wouldn't mind seeing some avenue and one-way road curves made in this same fashion. It's not really that I'm requesting this, think of it more as wishful thinking! Anyway...Great job again, my friend!

jeronij

You have opened a can of thunders Alex ¡¡¡

I would also love to have these curves for some other transit networks  ::)  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Livin in Sim

Alex and David,

You guys rock!!!!  You are AWESOME!!!  A coup has taken place today, the rule of The Great Square has been overthrown!!  Down with the ugly corners, long live the gentle, natural curve!!  I dreamed all last night of winding drives through the countryside.  Thank you.

()flower()
--Liv

Tarkus

No problem. ;)  Thanks everyone for all the compliments and kind words, and thanks to David for his texturing work, and memo for doing most of the pathing and pointing out a very useful feature of RUL files I hadn't really worked with. 

As long as David's willing to do the textures, I'm willing to mod further curves.  And wouanagaine, soon enough, you'll have them. ;)

-Alex

dedgren

QuoteAs long as David's willing to do the textures, I'm willing to mod further curves.

Absolutely- here's my plan.  I'm going to re-do these textures after some back-and-forth in this thread with Alex (Tarkus) and anyone else in the know about texture "scaling," which I think is the key towards making things look better.  I'll also work on colors and width, as they need to be tweaked.

After that, I was going to do streets (end of this week, and the pathing for roads will likely be usable without change, so these may be available very quickly).

I use a "no arrow" one-way road mod- couldn't the current paths just be made one-way with the current textures?  I hate to sound like an igmo- if I do, hey...

Avenues are not, by nature, found in rural or undeveloped areas.  The "game" curves, while too sharp almost certainly, are probably suited for the urban grid.  That said, I'll be happy to take that on after streets.

I'm still working, based on a representation to memo, on cleaning up the NAM wide radius rail curve texture.  I may, given what I hope to learn over the next little bit, be able to do that relatively quickly as well.  At a minimum, I'm fairly certain I can improve its appearance.

I need to have someone point me at what, definitively, "Euro textures" are.  As soon as I'm sure everyone means the same thing, I'll take a look and get back to you.

-Andreas- I'll post later about the trees.  Thanks so much for everyone's interest in all this stuff.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

rooker1

This is incredible.  Another new step towards a more perfect game, if that's possible.  I personelly would like to see the avenue done as well.  No pressure of coarse. 
Everyone is doing a great job and it is much appreciated by (everyone) or at least me. &apls

Robin   :thumbsup: &apls :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Badsim

Yes, incredible ... so I'll believe it only when I'll see it on my own game ... so I'll thank you 3 only at this coming time for this major improvement which definitely will change the face of SC4 . $%Grinno$%

&apls  &apls  &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

sebes

Unbelieveable!  This will change the game entirely. Together with Prepo's diagonal W2W the game will not even be close to what Maxis ever released!  &apls  &apls  &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

mjig_dudy

wow!these are excellent, can't wait to use them  ;D

will the texture difference between the normal roads and curves be fixed, or is this something which is almost impossible to get right?

anyway, i love these and can't wait to get my hands on them  $%Grinno$%

Gaston

I can only say ditto.   Everyone else has said it already.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

derek_pearce

when is this gonna be released
Signature comming soon

Andreas

Quote from: dedgren on April 23, 2007, 11:55:00 AM
I need to have someone point me at what, definitively, "Euro textures" are.  As soon as I'm sure everyone means the same thing, I'll take a look and get back to you.

Well, basically it's a mod initiated by thorvin, and (more or less) re-made and finished by frimi, replacing all textures showing the typical yellow double-line on the road textures with a single white dashed line (so they look similar to the in-game one-way road textures, but without arrows). For texture resources, download the Euro Road Textures Mod that frimi has uploaded to the SC4D exchange (search for "frimi" and you should find the individual files). Since the gentle curve pieces will be included in the next NAM most likely, the textures should go into the NAM Euro Textures file. Most roads in Europe have those dashed white lines, but in curves, the line is not dashed (which means: overtaking not allowed), so it looks like this: http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/images/sanbern1-l.jpg

Quote-Andreas- I'll post later about the trees.

Neat. Or just PM me. :)
Andreas

dedgren

An eye candy post, mainly- but with a little bit of info, too.

I pulled the quad with Tejada Spring on it onto the test bench this evening, looking to see what would happen if I tried the wide-radius curves up a 4-5% grade or so.

Spring foliage-

Fall foliage-

Yep. Looks exactly like what I had in mind.

How steep is that section of road?

The small circles are around the elevation in meters.  Game water is 250, so this is up a ways.  The gain here is about 38 meters.  My eyeball estimate of the length of the stretch of road is 1,100 meters.  That's just about a rise of one meter for every 29 of run, or a bit steeper than 3%.  No sweat in a car- a nice workout on a bicycle.

The puzzle pieces are finicky, but if you futz with them a bit in placing them you can get some pretty good slope tolerance, as indicated by the 45-Curve in the large circle.  Tomorrow I'll post the problems I encountered, not the least of which were large holes blasted through the bottom of the monitor ever so often...

...well, not quite, but these are not your grandmother's plops.  They definitely come with a 'tude if they don't like where you've put them.

A few random shots to close.

I like 'em!  A lot!

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...