• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatron

Siilijoki seems to be a very liveable City/Region :thumbsup:
I have to admit that I'd like every town with a sort of "Riverwalk" or sth. like that...
And that bridge...love it!

RickD

Ah yes, it would be nice to walk along the canals on a warm summer night. And I agree with Flatron. Cities by the sea or at least a large river are usually the best. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

vortext

Nice panorama! I concur the puzzle piece bridge is both clever and eye-catching. My only beef is with that diagonal grassy bit from JS seawalls. Why didn't you used an orthogonal piece?!  ???
The police helicopter on the other hand is great, it makes the scene really come to life. :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Terring7

The avenue bridge is cool and your canals inspired me to build something similar. Can't wait for the rest :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

art128

Impressive teaser, Noah! Everything seems very well made as well as thought. the helicopter aiming at the river is a nice touch as well. :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Hello again! I've prepared a few pics but please help me with the following first:

My Mother is generously ordering me a new laptop in the next few days for my birthday/Christmas/maybe birthday before special present and I'd really, really like to get your input on what my best choice is. SC4 is my primary need for power and no one knows better what's best for the game than the community here.

As an expat a large immobile desktop isn't a practical option so I think a 17" laptop is the way to go. US$1500 is the price ceiling. It has to be from Amazon as I have ~US$200 in gift cards there.

Option 1: MSI GT70

Option 2: Asus-G75VW

Thoughts? I'll set up a poll for those who'd prefer to vote rather than comment but I'd also love to hear the reasoning behind the votes--and hopefully what you think of the pictures!

Work on Siilijoki Proper continues to advance rapidly. I'm having so much fun building this area that I've planned and postponed for so long that I haven't been getting around to putting together many good pics or updates! To be honest, I think this is the most fun I've ever had building in SimCity  &dance

Let's start this mini-update with some perspective on the area! I was going to save this for later, when it's fully ready and as part of a special update, but here's the first map of central Siilijoki in quite some time I believe:

It's still WIP but much better than nothing I hope!

Next, for additional perspective, this is an image that was intended to be part of the last full update but got left out when I was in too big of a hurry:

You may recognize the RHW-10 bridges at left, the rail bridge at right, Pohjois Siilijoki at top and much of recently-featured central Siilijoki at bottom.

I've been looking for a nice home for this library! This area is special because it's on the edge of the start of the construction on Siilijoki's ultimate goal and (hopefully) eventual masterpiece: the perfect central interchange.

The OWR-4 splits into 2 OWRs at that TIR intersection before becoming part of a unique spaghetti junction. Don't hold your breath though, I'm in no hurry and the technology to make it the way I want is still a ways away  ;)

This pic is my most recently-created area, fresh from last night!

Tennis anyone? Have fun, I'll be on a boat  :P

Quote from: threestooges on August 02, 2012, 06:36:15 PM
It's the seemingly little things in you updates that always seem to catch my eye. I noticed your reply that you were working to incorporate networks with game water canals. That puzzle piece bridge seems to be an example of it. Was that done using the diagonal bridge trick (getting rid of the water, etc)? The ultimate effect shows off a very impressive, yet short and understated bridge. Things like the subtle change in altitude at the ends which isn't all that possible with most game bridges. Nicely done.
-Matt

Thanks Matt! The puzzle piece bridge there is an example of that but it's not really the "cutting edge" of what I'm up to. I lowered the sealevel but the DBE itself isn't involved there as 2-tile networks don't play well with zero-slope mods--and incorporating different levels of slope with DBE-type stuff starts getting really tricky really fast, though it is something I'm exploring  ;D 

Quote from: nbvc on August 02, 2012, 09:29:24 PM
Great work with the panorama and last update. &apls
Thanks!

Quote from: Flatron on August 03, 2012, 01:30:32 AM
Siilijoki seems to be a very liveable City/Region :thumbsup:
I have to admit that I'd like every town with a sort of "Riverwalk" or sth. like that...
And that bridge...love it!
Thanks Flatron! I'm a big riverwalk fan too, hopefully Siilijoki ends up with a nice system of them.

Quote from: RickD on August 03, 2012, 02:10:42 AM
Ah yes, it would be nice to walk along the canals on a warm summer night. And I agree with Flatron. Cities by the sea or at least a large river are usually the best. ;)
I think we all agree! Thanks Raphael, sounds like I should put your loft somewhere near a canal  :P

Quote from: vortext on August 04, 2012, 06:35:05 AM
Nice panorama! I concur the puzzle piece bridge is both clever and eye-catching. My only beef is with that diagonal grassy bit from JS seawalls. Why didn't you used an orthogonal piece?!  ???
The police helicopter on the other hand is great, it makes the scene really come to life. :thumbsup:
My bad on the seawall--it didn't show up at a different zoom and then I didn't notice it in the panorama  :'(  Glad you liked the bridge. I got lucky on the helicopter--it just showed up but I decided to seize the opportunity!

Quote from: Terring7 on August 04, 2012, 03:34:54 PM
The avenue bridge is cool and your canals inspired me to build something similar. Can't wait for the rest :)
Canals on Mars?! Sounds more historical then futuristic  ::)   JK, I'm assuming your talking about your Terran cities and I look forward to seeing how it turns out--hit me up on facebook if your need any tips. Thanks for the comment  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on August 04, 2012, 03:38:06 PM
Impressive teaser, Noah! Everything seems very well made as well as thought. the helicopter aiming at the river is a nice touch as well. :D
Thanks Arthur! I think this is the only time for me that a police helicopter in SC4 has been something nice instead of something annoying  :D

nbvc

Great work. The night overview of the city loks fantastic.

For your new laptop, I think for SimCity 4 with many plugins a fast hard disk (maybe SSD) and a fast CPU is important many cores don't help much, for the new SimCity (2013?) it may be different with many cores. 

RickD

Buy one with a SSD! The performance increase, not only in Sim City, is incredible. I will never use regular Hard Drives as system / program disk again.

Edit:
Sorry, forgot to comment on the update.  ::) I like the map and the complex network. And the cruise ship looks great there with the skyscrapers.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Superb update Noah! Lovely pictures. The night shot is impressive.
As for the laptop, as nbvc and Raphael said try to find one with a SSD. More RAM isn't really important (8gb is far enough even for SC4) But a good processor (I7) with an high frequency is a top. Also. Buy that boat!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Seattisk

OMG!!! YOUR MD IS AWESOME!!!!   :D  &hlp

I love your MD so much

Where do you get this region?  &apls

Thanks!

wallasey

Fraid I know nothing about computers/ laptops but I am sure you will make a wise decision!

I think your map is fantastic, it will be interesting (when the time comes) to see how this integrates into your suburbs, no matter how big or small they may be.

The split in your OWR4 looks interesting, might have to give that a play around myself! The building to the right with the interesting artwork works well in that area too!

As always, everything gels together! Well done! 

jmyers2043

well, My computer will be 10 years old this December. I've had to replace the hard drive, the video card, and also added some memory few years back. It is an Alienware desktop and was the best that money could buy at the time. That is my suggestion, don't cheap out.

Re: the poll ...  :D   My heart goes out to you. I don't think you should keep a computer with no battery, graphics card, and a half-broken soundcard

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Kergelen

wow Noah!

I missed some of updates here. Your night shots impressive me a lot. I love how you compose each mosaic.

The networks are fantastic, the work with the water game canals really interesting and I love how you combine the diferent style of the buildings
to create a city with a very definite style and highly consistent. &apls &apls &apls

PD: I can't give your advice about laptops.

Links to SC4 websites

Schulmanator

You've got great stuff here! I wish I was wiser in the world of laptops and such. But, if I was to give you advice, I would day to get something which looks to be the most upwardly upgradeable in the future. Aim for versatility!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Jmouse

You've outdone yourself again, Noah. The night shot is brilliant, and that last photo is – mmm – very elegant in its own way. Once again, your shoreline-bridge-water combo is excellent.

Good luck finding a quality computer AND good service after the sale. It's difficult to find either one these days, much less both in the same package.

-Joan

Flatron

Nice pictures! :thumbsup:
For the computer stuff, I'd suggest you to go to your local electronic store and ask for advice. After that you can still go home and buy the suggested laptop at Amazon ;D(or you do sth. good for the local economy and buy it at the shop :))

Dantes

The Skyline is awesome  :o And your canal is a fantastic work  :satisfied:

weixc812

I love the planning, especially the network  :thumbsup:
Your CBD is really large and prosper, Noah  &apls
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

Gugu3

Very nice Noah!always nice planning of your cities! &apls