• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Workingman Productions (WMP) & SC4Tools websites and content

Started by djp, January 22, 2019, 08:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Thanks the replies and suggestions :thumbsup:

I'm happy for everything to be moved to the LEX and any readme files updated as needed - these have not been touched in years, so any non WMP links are probably no longer working.

I have all the source files for the website, so if it's easier I can distribute these.

Traffic to the site has been getting less and less, so it seams a lot of work to re-do the site as all that is needed is ability to download the files.

There are also the utility tools;
http://workingman-productions.co.uk/downloads/sc4t_downloads.asp

I'm not sure if these are even any use anymore - I did install them on my Win10 PC a while ago and they appeared to still work.

I'll help with anything if needed, but feel free to do what you think is best for this content

David

APSMS

I wish I knew more about webhosting, as I always feel like there's a little bit of history with the old website design/layout and the information contained within it.

Also I just don't like dead links, and those are really common these days on the internet what with all the image hosting sites closing and then the collapse or policy changes of a number of other popular hosting sites.

I would love to figure out how to keep the sites on the web even if all of the files are catalogued and uploaded to the LEX for longevity, and even though the WMP site doesn't have forums (so much history was lost with the collapse of SimPeg)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

xxdita

Links can always be updated, as long as the content is available somewhere.

djp

Quote from: APSMS on February 04, 2020, 12:53:42 PM
I would love to figure out how to keep the sites on the web even if all of the files are catalogued and uploaded to the LEX for longevity, and even though the WMP site doesn't have forums (so much history was lost with the collapse of SimPeg)

If somebody is willing to host the site (about £5 a month) then the whole website could just be transferred and continue as is.

Quote from: xxdita on February 04, 2020, 11:00:14 PM
Links can always be updated, as long as the content is available somewhere.

Yep, the readme files would just need updating.

djp

Just checking in to see if there has been anymore thoughts on this...

I think the LEX is the best way forward with an update to the various read me files

I've got a couple of weeks left on the hosting package, so we need to come up with a plan.

David

xxdita

I've just finished immunotherapy treatment yesterday, so I dont completely trust myselff with anybody's files at the moment.

I will be able to get back to it in a couple days time though, and hopefully have it all sorted this weekend.

APSMS

Hi David,

I also think the LEX is the best way forward at the moment, but if you can help walk me through the process, I would be glad to take over the hosting just for the sake of the archived website/web addresses as a sort of secondary backup.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tyberius06

Hm... I was away for 2 weeks, but xxdita knows, and I already shared my thoughts here a year ago.
I organized and cleaned Doc's contents on my own use last year, and in many cases I updated the dependency links. I spent some time to put together MegaProp packs and also expanded the MegaTexture pack with the one remaining WMP Textures 10. What I haven't done, because I'm not sure about it, but it can be done relative easily, was extracting the inbuilt prop and model sets from uploads where the models and lot files were packed together. Honestly, I would do these "surgical extractions" (I think we are talking about 3-4 uploads) and I would separate the models and lot files. The remaining DAT would only contain the lot and related UI and other files, while all the model and prop examplars were about to go into one of the Prop Megapacks.
For archiving and back-up reasons somewhere at the LEX background storage could contain the original separate prop sets, as they were uploaded onto the WMP site. Basicly this is how we planned the BSC *.exe extranctions 1,5 years ago. The extracted folder based contents (with updated readmes) will go to the public LEX, and as a back-up we keep a copy of the *.exe files too.
Bringing these contents to the LEX is the best indeed, although when it will be happening, the STEX contents have to be updated as well, otherwise we will end up with multiple might be conflicting versions. I would hate that. I've been there, I'm still trying to root out the outdated BSC and SFBT contents from STEX and probably will push that forward in the near future.
I think (it's just an idea), the LEX could host all the lots and the newly organized megaprop packs, while on STEX I (or even xxdita with his rights) can update the contents and link back everything to the megaprop packs where it is necessary.
I still have a small amount of work with the Polska MegaProp Pack, but after that I can provide my packages to xxdita, who can decide in which form he wants to upload them to the LEX or if he wants to make any modifications what he sees necessary.

- Tyberius (Tibi)
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

xxdita

Being from an era long passed, I'm still struggling a bit with the way things are now.

So please understand that I am now posting as a BSC Member. I'll switch hats a bit later in this post.

Any variations between BSC content on the LEX and any other fansite exist for either technical reasons or personal. The technical reasons may no longer be a problem, but I believe it would be a mistake to disregard the personal choices made by BSC team members in regards to their creations. It was a conscious decision for the content on the LEX to be updated as needed, and a conscious decision for other sites not to receive those same updates, if that's the case.

SC4D and the LEX has been home for the BSC since its creation, and will continue to be as long as Tarkus allows it. We don't need to rehash the politics of old to respect what it meant to those that were involved.

With my new buttons on the STEX I can certainly fix major issues with BSC uploads, as I know full well no BSC member ever intended their works to cause problems. I am proud to act as BSC Custodian in that regard.

What I won't be doing is fighting outdated content of any kind while it has already been fixed on the LEX. Even if I could take on the STEX itself, outdated files still exist in the dvd's still being offered. So that is a losing battle that I will have no part in.

Whatever other hats I may wear in this community, BSC member and LEX Admin will always come first. I will defer to more senior BSC members should they voice their opinions concerning such things, but these are mine.

Changing hats now:
As a LEX Admin, I will do my absolute best to honor the choices Doc made with his files, while making sure they are in line with LEX standards. Consolidating prop and texture packs seems to be in line with his methods. I believe that loose props included with lots would also fall into this category. But if such props are already consolidated into dat files with these lots, then I have to believe that is as Doc wanted it to be. Worst case scenario is that the lot becomes a required dependency for future downloads using the prop in question. Since that has already been the case for some time and there is no technical objection that I'm aware of, I think these files should be kept as they are in this regard.

We do now need to also make sure that all of these files are MAC compatible before putting them on the LEX. That's a new headache that's popped up this past week, as some files cause CTD's on the new MAC 64bit version, but luckily it only takes a few seconds per file to check and fix if necessary. None of Doc's files have been reported yet, but it is still something to check.

Tyberius06

Nate, I replied in PM regarding the BSC-LEX-STEX contents.

Quote from: xxdita on February 26, 2020, 12:22:26 AM
Changing hats now:
As a LEX Admin, I will do my absolute best to honor the choices Doc made with his files, while making sure they are in line with LEX standards. Consolidating prop and texture packs seems to be in line with his methods. I believe that loose props included with lots would also fall into this category. But if such props are already consolidated into dat files with these lots, then I have to believe that is as Doc wanted it to be. Worst case scenario is that the lot becomes a required dependency for future downloads using the prop in question. Since that has already been the case for some time and there is no technical objection that I'm aware of, I think these files should be kept as they are in this regard.

I can live with it, that's why I didn't move forward on that matter. It makes things a bit easier after all.

Quote from: xxdita on February 26, 2020, 12:22:26 AM
We do now need to also make sure that all of these files are MAC compatible before putting them on the LEX. That's a new headache that's popped up this past week, as some files cause CTD's on the new MAC 64bit version, but luckily it only takes a few seconds per file to check and fix if necessary. None of Doc's files have been reported yet, but it is still something to check.

Oh yeah, I've heard about it. Ok, so I can provide the organized WMP stuffs, even the megaprop packs as I mentioned before (and if you want to reorganize them I can share the organized single building and prop packs). I don't do any other changes. But after we/you rehost the files on LEX, then I'm gonna update the STEX versions, because otherwise people will get confused, frustrated etc... and questions will be asked, what I don't want to answere to... :)
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.

xxdita

As long as there are no objections from djp, I have no issues with Doc's works being updated on the STEX as well.

But for the most part, I expect this to be strictly an organizational update, with very few changes made to the original content, if any. As such, it should not be necessary for users that already have the files installed to update them.

djp

Thanks all for the replies.

As I have mentioned before, I have just been the guardian for Doc's work - but handing control to the community will be the best solution moving forward

Quote from: xxdita on February 26, 2020, 07:43:35 AM
As long as there are no objections from djp, I have no issues with Doc's works being updated on the STEX as well.

I have no issues at all with this - I think it would be best to have the same versions available on both exchanges

Quote from: Tyberius06 on February 26, 2020, 04:35:52 AM
Ok, so I can provide the organized WMP stuffs, even the megaprop packs as I mentioned before (and if you want to reorganize them I can share the organized single building and prop packs). I don't do any other changes. But after we/you rehost the files on LEX, then I'm gonna update the STEX versions, because otherwise people will get confused, frustrated etc... and questions will be asked, what I don't want to answere to... :)

sounds the best way forward as you have already started reorganising things

Quote from: APSMS on February 25, 2020, 02:48:19 PM
Hi David,

but if you can help walk me through the process, I would be glad to take over the hosting just for the sake of the archived website/web addresses as a sort of secondary backup.

-Absalom
I can definitely guide you with this if nobody has any objections

xxdita

I support whatever decision you make on the matter, David.

djp

Quote from: xxdita on February 26, 2020, 04:05:15 PM
I support whatever decision you make on the matter, David.

OK, my main issue with still having the content hosted on the WMP domain would be ending up with different versions of the files being available if the LEX/STEX get updated.

Another option I have thought of would be to keep the domain name and I can set-up a WordPress account with every existing page set as a re-direct to the equivalent files on the LEX - this way if other plugins have links to the existing pages in the readme they will still end up being linked to the file they need.
This would be quite straight forward to do.

Tyberius06

Hi,

@David:
As far as I know, the main differences would be the unified folder structure (cleaned up from possible duplicates, specially duplicates of the WMP Dummies file) and the megapacks instead of the single prop packs. Although I keep the single prop packs too (just organize them according to this unified folder structure) on my end for back-up, just in case. The actual contents (and specially the TGIs for the inner contents) won't be changed at all. The only reason of changing anything deeper on them would be, if some of them turned up broken suddenly (well, in the case of the new MAC stuffs), then they need to be fixed. But this is just, how I see at this moment. (I think the best, if I send a link with the organized stuffs and you can see what I'm talking about.)

Quote from: djp on February 27, 2020, 07:03:26 AM

Another option I have thought of would be to keep the domain name and I can set-up a WordPress account with every existing page set as a re-direct to the equivalent files on the LEX - this way if other plugins have links to the existing pages in the readme they will still end up being linked to the file they need.

Well this is a good idea as well. I mean linking the old contents to the LEX versions. I know that one or two of the main dependencies which has an outdated version on STEX, CasperVG or Cyclone managed to linked them back to the updated LEX version, so when folks click onto the download button, they will be re-directed to the updated LEX page.

- Tyberius

djp

Quote from: Tyberius06 on February 27, 2020, 08:03:21 AM
I think the best, if I send a link with the organized stuffs and you can see what I'm talking about
Please, his would be handy to see

Well this is a good idea as well. I mean linking the old contents to the LEX versions. I know that one or two of the main dependencies which has an outdated version on STEX, CasperVG or Cyclone managed to linked them back to the updated LEX version, so when folks click onto the download button, they will be re-directed to the updated LEX page.

- Tyberius

OK, I can start adding re-direction links once everything is on the LEX

Cheers

David

djp

I think the best, if I send a link with the organized stuffs and you can see what I'm talking about

Please, his would be handy to see

- Tyberius

OK, I can start adding re-direction links once everything is on the LEX

Cheers

David

djp

UPDATE...

My windows hosting as now expired, so the WMP website has now been taken down (hopefully temporarily)

I have transferred the Domain name to my new Hosting Package, but the old website is not compatible.
this will take 24-48 hours for the transfer to complete, I can then start to add re-directs to the files in the STEX/LEX.

I'll update again when I have more info

David

xxdita

I have all the files downloaded. It's just a matter of organizing the packs in a way that makes sense. I should be able to start getting the packs uploaded this week.

Tyberius06

@xxdita
I sent you PM via discord.
I started checking the WMP contents on STEX. There are two uploads, which actually run under Murimk's account, since he was the co-creator of those sets:
WMP Causeway Set
WMP Boardwalk

Those contain props and textures which are part of the proposed megaprop or (existing) megatexture packs. Anyhow they will get an update, when the mentioned pack will be uploaded.

- Tyberius

EDIT:
Whoops, I forgot something. Besides the wmp props, on the old site there were the RFY props too. I just realized it now, checking the STEX contents. So I think there should be a RFY Mega Prop pack too, because although pLynn's creations can be found on the STEX, but his prop dependencies are not there, they were on the WMP site only.