• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Free Legal Licenses for students for 3ds Max and other Autodesk programs.

Started by SimFox, May 03, 2010, 04:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimFox

I have mentioned this already in BAT4Max thread on SIMTROPOLIS, and Xyloxadoria had even made a separate thread about it in Bat Open Discussion forum, but I think it may be goos to add this here as well

Autodesk - maker of 3ds Max, along with many other professional design applications, now have a special service for students granting them totally FREE licenses for 13 months for 25 of its latest applications including 3ds Max 2011 /3ds Max Design 2011, Maya 2011, Mudbox 2011 to mention just just few.

This is great improvement on previous policy when students had to buy this licenses, albeit cheaply relative to the normal price (at about 5%). This selling price, though was dependent on your school supplier of software, or to be precise your eligibility was. Now this discriminatory practice had finally been dealt away with. Plus, as had been mentioned already software now is FREE! Free like in not needing to pay a penny for the legal license valid for 13 months.

This also should put the end for all those sites that "sells" cheap software and only mention deep in the FAQ or nowhere at all, that you don't get any license "too keep software cheep". In other words you'll be paying money for pirated software. Beware of such sites!!

Students could sign for this program at Autodesk Student site:

http://students.autodesk.com

Version of Bat4Max compatible with 3ds Max 2011 family could be found here. Support and instruction for it could be found here.

Happy batting with the best of tools!

thingfishs

this is an amazing deal. Shame I just got 2010 and am a uni student.  ???

25 programs is a lot... Are any of the rest of the suite applicable for SC creation?

WC_EEND

Is legal to make use of this even though what you study is not in any way related to 3D? Because otherwise I'd get me a license.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

thingfishs

From what I can see yes, it's perfectly legal and is purely dependent on having an .edu (or similarly suffixed) email address. I'm studying music & english . ;)

thingfishs

Quote from: Jonathan on May 03, 2010, 07:02:39 AM
So I take that this is only for university students. Not like Secondary School (High School I think in the US) /GCSE.

No it's for high school/secondary students too! From autodesk:

" To join the Education Community you need to be a full-time student or faculty member participating in a valid academic program at the secondary or postsecondary level.

Secondary includes anyone from age 14 up to a postsecondary program. Postsecondary includes students in four-year colleges, two-year colleges, technical schools, postgraduate degree programs, and so forth."

WC_EEND

Quote from: thingfishs on May 03, 2010, 07:25:41 AM
No it's for high school/secondary students too! From autodesk:

" To join the Education Community you need to be a full-time student or faculty member participating in a valid academic program at the secondary or postsecondary level.

Secondary includes anyone from age 14 up to a postsecondary program. Postsecondary includes students in four-year colleges, two-year colleges, technical schools, postgraduate degree programs, and so forth."

Ok, but I don't have a school e-mail adress, so I assume I won't b able to get it. And I seriously doubt one of my teachers will sign up just so I can get a free 3dsmax copy.

My LOT thread                                    

thingfishs

I would try your expected graduation year, be it 2011 or whatever.

Jonathan

Thanks I put 2015 and used my email which ended in .org.uk and it worked :)

Although I apparently go to Burnham Grammar School which is completely wrong. Even though I typed in my Real School's name

thingfishs

Quote from: Jonathan on May 03, 2010, 08:38:33 AM
Although I apparently go to Burnham Grammar School which is completely wrong. Even though I typed in my Real School's name

That's a pretty sweet gift horse I wouldn't be inspecting too closely ;)

I'm keen to find out more about any of the other 24 programs that may be suitable for this kind of stuff, from someone that's used them. Anyone?

WC_EEND

Well, I don't have a school e-mail and it won't accept any of my other e-mail accounts, so I guess I won't be able to ue this offer.

My LOT thread                                    

SimFox

Quote from: WC_EEND on May 03, 2010, 09:11:18 AM
Well, I don't have a school e-mail and it won't accept any of my other e-mail accounts, so I guess I won't be able to ue this offer.
Just get one from your school! As far as I know every school/university will issue one for a student. The importance of such an address is that it is used by Autodesk to verify you association with the school.

As far as other programs are concerned, well, there is Maya; I believe it is also part of a deal. It is similar to Max but used more for less mechanical modeling (not that it is actually better at this point in time, but it used to be, probably). And of course there is Mudbox 2011 - one of the best (along with ZBrush) 3d sculpting programs. This latest incarnation of Mudbox features new vector displacment techology that will allow rendering in Max or Maya hundreds of millions polygons worth of look in very, very short time

WC_EEND

Quote from: SimFox on May 03, 2010, 02:40:03 PM
Just get one from your school!

My school does not use an e-mail system, they use something called "Smartschool", which has courses and the ability so send PM's to teachers, so I seriously doubt they will give me an e-mail of the school. They're bound to ask for a reason and then I'll need to make up a reason since my studies are in no way liked to graphical design

My LOT thread                                    

Pheonix Rising

For those needing a school email and have to ask.. Microsoft gives free/discounted (mostly discounted) copies of its software to students. I think after the Vista release the had a deal for Vista Ultimate for students at $99 US full version, not an upgrade. So, if you ask and they want to know why tell them you need it to get the latest MS software (Office, Win 7, etc.) and a discounted rate.