• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Lowkee33's Bordertown

Started by Lowkee33, May 07, 2010, 10:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowkee33

Hi all!  Welcome to my Bordertown thread.  I hope you enjoy.  When I first saw this I said "that looks like fun, too bad I am a month late".  I soon realized just how late I am.  Thanks for letting me play.

I am doing my best to make sure I don't read the challenges I have not reached yet.  I have read #3, and am cursing my power plant, but we (I) shall see what happens.

Challenge One:

Place a through way for cars and trains, and then deliver two pictures.

Rt. 10 is white and the tracks are black.  I first placed rt. 10 by choosing river crossings that would be short and also maximize the development of river mouths.  I felt the railway should go near the mountains to transport mined goods to various potential city centers.  I also wanted to avoid rivers, because boats can move along them already.

This is city E, called Egg-Eater.  Freddy Bison has assumed the role of Mayor in all cities of the region, but has specifically invested in this town.  After taking this picture he put it in the newspaper, saying that life in Egg-Eater was better than anywhere else.  Enough people moved in so that their taxes would pay to maintain the streets/rails, and then he stopped mentioning Egg-Eater to the public.

See you soon

Lowkee33

Hi again.  I am trying to catch up here and aught to have challenge three later today.

Challenge 2:

Freddy Bison was tired of having to fill his "SFBT" generator for everybody, so he contracted out a job for a large scale coal burning plant, as coal was found to be plenty in the mountains, and a water pump.  The power plant would be built in city "F", Fer De Lance, and city "I", Indigo.  The towns will have Freddy Bison's name listed as Mayor, but this is a mere formality, as he has no interest in the boondocks.  A search for mayor has begun, but no one with enough charisma has moved in yet.

A Route 5 is also in the plans.  As more money has been invested into Bordertown, so has the skill of the workers.  They can now build larger bridges.  Freddy Bison wants control over this bridge, and so Rt 10 will cross the river in Egg-Eater (city "E").

I have named all of the cities to start with the letter they are referenced as.  I also named them after snakes.

The Power Station - City "F" - Fer De Lance

Seems like a nice spot as it is in between the mountains and Egg-Eater as well as next to the railway.

The Water Pump - City "I" - Indigo

The Hills in Indigo have very little in resources, but the water pools up nicely.  Freddy is looking for a mayor who will make the area around the hills a protected wildlife reserve.  When Freddy asked the Federal Government if he could do this they just blankly stared.  A city controlled park would be good, Freddy decided, because this way his official opinion of the park can sway with the mood of the public.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9776/indigoapr18001273193092.jpg

Indigo was too far away to deserve connection to the region grid, and was asked to take care of power on it's own.

Bordertown as it stands with Rt. 5.  The goal of route 5 was to touch the hills that the train track was not able to.  It will also provide goods service to the people of city "D", Diamondback

Construction will now begin on the coal mining site in city "C", Cobra.  Freddy is hoping that by adding a college and a farmer's market he will create a society that will produce potential mayors.  City "M", Moccasin has been found to have some fishing potential, as it is connected to the ocean and has the freshwater river.

Until we meet again.   

mrbisonm

Welcome to the Unofficial GRV II, even if it is very late. You might have the time to join us before iit ends though.
Nice going for challenge 1 and 2, looking good. I will be your judge through this challenge and one thing I could tell you already to help you much is to plant some more trees while you play in each citytile. I as a judge will always give more points when I see some realistic representations of the GRV.
If it looks real, you got yourself some *real* good points. ;)

Good luck

Fred

Ps: I will judge your challenges when I find free time. ;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Lowkee33

A side note:  The lack of trees is a problem that I feel a storyline reason will not sooth.  I am using the meadowshire river tree mod.  It is very nice, but the "GOD" tree mode leave much of the map untouched.  Is there a way to fool around with the settings to make god mode place more trees?

City Beautification has taken a back seat to city development, and that has taken a backseat to completing the challenges.  I feel like posting pictures is worth taking the hit in points.  The basic picture is that I am using Bordertown II as a way to understand the way that Bordertown III will work.  Hope to see you then!

Challenge 3:

A federal demand to plant more trees has been interrupted by rebel activity.  The rebels have taken control of North Bordertown and damaged all but the Route #5 connection across the river.  As a show of force they have cut down the Aspen trees along federal roads that we have all grown to love.

I will be playing on the South side of Bordertown.  This is a picture of the federal roads.  The road of my choice has been called Rt. 2, and travels from Rt. 10 in Egg-Eater through Himehabu (city H)

I chose the South side to play after making some assumptions about Sim-nation.  I think that the area north is more mountains while the areas west and south are flat.  I also think that the East coast is the ocean.  That being said, the river from the south and west offer more trade possibilities.  Route #2 was established to be an incentive for trade with the south.  Freddy Bison has some problems though, and the biggest one is that coal was coming from those mountains.  Coal is now imported from the west to feed the power station that has been built in Diamondback (city D).  Here is a view of Diamondback's new power plant (City Image #1)

Diamondback is also a town that Rt 10 crosses the river.  Here is a view of the broken road.

Is this too far away?  I basically blocked the road with rocks and added a watchtower for the rebels (they dress like happy sims.  As I learn more about Lot Editing, I may add cannons (from Pegasus) to the and south side.  Notice the trees that have been cut down by the rebels.
To the east is Egg-Eater.  Egg-Eater is planned to be the biggest city in Bordertown. (City image #2)

Egg-Eater's railroad has been destroyed on the island

Route #5 was saved, but the rebels showed their presence by cutting down all of the Aspen Trees

Egg-Eater's farm land has developed south into Himehabu and a small community has developed. (City picture #3)

The railroad was also destroyed in Lancehead (city L), and here is a close-up

The gap is so big because that was one puzzle piece.
The region is not as developed as I would have liked, although I feel the north side is good as it is.  Lancehead is my biggest concern.  I picture it as a fishing community that all of the sudden had a train track built through it.  The tracks brought goods to be manufactured, but now the bridge has been cut off.

Be Well

Lowkee33

In the previous post I mentioned developing Lancehead.  This was wrong.  Lancehead is city "L" and I meant to say I will develop city "M", Moccasin. which I did. This is another picture of a city in development (well, not anymore).  This is town "C" which is called Cobra.  It is a small dirty industry town that mines coal for the power plant in FerDeLance.

(it looks like it has been squished...)

I am under the impression that posts take up memory on the server.  With that in mind I would like to place this picture in my Challenge 3 post.

Thanks Again

soulchaser

Looks good, Lowkee...nice work on your roads and agriculture....though the isolated villages (no roads connecting) seem to be a bit strange  &apls

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

For Challenge 4

As the Northern Rebel of your region, I am asking you to do the following. On Tile "A" and "E", I want you to start building a town with at least 2000 residents (combination of the two tiles), that will have enough commercial and industrial to be independant. Do not build on the small island that lies between the two parts of the new town, that we keep as a natural park for the moment. I also ask you to connect a railway from the Center of this new town on tile "E" to the existing rails on tile "F". Do not hesitate to ask questions.

Good luck

Northern Rebel (mrb)

Lowkee33

Will do, thanks.  I am using your picture as a template.  You refer to Tile E and F, but those are tiles D and E (as per the rules and restrictions page).

mrbisonm

Quote from: Lowkee33 on July 15, 2010, 10:11:00 AM
Will do, thanks.  I am using your picture as a template.  You refer to Tile E and F, but those are tiles D and E (as per the rules and restrictions page).

What I meant is to build a rail on tile E, where you will start the new town and then connect it to the existing rails on tile F

Fred

soulchaser

But Fred, he's right...
it's

A  B  C  K
D  E  F  L
G  H  I  M

isn't it?

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

MY ERROR

I took the "improved" and newer version of the map that I never published, totally forgot about that, sorry.
You both are right.
We keep that version from the Rules section.

(dohh, now I have to check out the Challenge 10 that I posted, I might have made an error there too.....;)
Thanks for insisting, soulchaser.

Fred

Thanks

soulchaser

Nevermind, I'm just a little "klugscheißer"  ;)

Can't wait for Lowkee goin' on...

Recently Iced

Lowkee33

No problem about the confusion.  About your pic though Fred, I am not seeing a tile "I" there.  I just wanted to point that out.  You can tell by my posts that I have been confused about what tile is what, and the posts only convey about 25% of the back-and-forth I did while playing :).  All is well.

Challenge 4 - The Confrontation:

As a side note I have to say I rushed the development of the Rebel Side of the river.  I have learned a lot about custom content since the start of my playing Bordertown.  As I get higher in stage limits I will be spending more time making nicer looking cities.  I did want the park to look nice though, and today was a good day to do that.

You wanted trees? You got trees.

The rebels are beginning to organize.  A small community has centered on the north side of the river in Diamondback.  The town has spread into Anaconda, where a Manufacturing complex will make anything the Rebels need to face the Federation (Star Wars theme must please).

In order for people to move freely a train station has been built.  Space around the station was in such demand that buildings that will surely be removed are profitable.
Orders Pic#1

The town continues in Anaconda.  The view is from the north as to be the same as the last picture.
Orders Pic#2

The rivers converge to make a great place for some industry.  Manufacturing plants have been established to make all of the necessarily weapons for a "debate".  For now the plants make vinyl siding.
Orders Pic#3

Freddy Bison wanted to assure the rebels that they were being heard.  A park would be built to show some kind of devotion.  Although Fer-De-Lance offered a more pleasant atmosphere, Freddy wanted the Rebels to know that they were prominent in his mind and placed them in the Capital, Egg Eater.
Park Pic#1

After some people milled about the musicians played while Freddy Bison delivered a short speech:

"Welcome residence of Bordetown.  Today we will commemorate the day the rebels came and cut down our finely placed aspen trees (George Bush like chuckle).  We place this statue of the Angle of Peace to symbolize our faith that all will be okay.  May she watch us and guide us".

The upper-class, Freddy Bison included, decided that they would just stay at the park and listen to music.

Rule Breaking Park Pic #2

Two pictures, I know.  I put some time into it so I thought I would share some details.

I have done much to develop the south side of the river.  It wasn't until the end that I learned about custom farms, but my main attention was making it hard to tell where the tile border's are.  Picture #1 of what I have been up to is the region shot:
My Work #1

My Work #2 - The town of Himehabu as I have developed it.  Refer to the first pic of it to see how I have done this.

Well there you go.  It has been fun and I hope you like it Soulchaser :)

soulchaser

I like it very much, Lowkee33.....looks very natural...the farms got a bit big, but nevertheless, good work &apls

Edit: sorry for the late posting.....Just came back to the internet^^

Recently Iced

Lowkee33

Thanks soulchaser.  Thanks Mrbisonm.

My Bordertown is gone.  I was re-installing SC4 over and over again and one of those times I hit the delete my saved games button.  I went to check my backups and all I had was the crisp map.

So, maybe a year late, but I tried.  Bordertown was fun while it lasted, and I will be certainly rooting for number 3.

editfish

I'm sorry to hear that; you were making such good progress.   &mmm  I also am WAAAAYYY to late to begin and and looking forward to III.   ::)

Editfish

soulchaser

Loosing played maps is tragedy....for sure....hope you keep on playing....have fun so far ;)

Recently Iced

jmyers2043

Hello Lowkee33

I like the park on the hill as well as the brick wall enclosing it. An intersting water mod - a bit of grid look in the region view though but close up it's very nice.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Sorry to hear that. I really started to like your "doings", especially the agriculture that shows so well on the second last picture.
Good luck in everything you'll be doing.....see ya 'round. ;)

Fred