• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Frostwolf limps into GRV II

Started by frostwolf, April 08, 2009, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frostwolf

Copy of orders issued to zzsteven, for your perusal:

From General D. Wolf, Army of the Tilamook Republic:

The Tilamook Republic has chosen to expand into the southern half of tile E. Please construct the following to accomadate those fleeing the north:

-A small checkpoint, with a watchtower, just south of the road bridge
-A village of not less than 300 people in the Southeast, with access to the road bridge and rail line. This village is to be centered around a plaza with the requisite monument to our cause, and is to have a building that may serve as a center of government.
-Environmentally healthy power plant, preferably geothermal power.
-Water pump or tower providing plenty of water for future settlement, plus small water treatment facility
-Police, fire, health, and school facilities
-At least 20 farms, preferably more slightly larger than those in tile G, across the region
-Road bridge across the tributary river to the Southwest, and road connection to tile D
-On the west bank of the tributary, a small industrial district.
-Landfill in sw corner, at least 4x4, with street access.

Request following images to prove completion of task
-Full City view
-Full city zone view

Your assistance in the peaceful transfer of power in the south is greatly appreciated.

Yours, etc.
General David Wolf

I originally wrote these orders when I thought the monument was something that we did in each other's cities. Now that I know better, I still want a monument in my city, as it's something that we rebels do. ;)

lynncanox

Challenge 3 Judging

A.   Route 2 was well placed, although it could have covered a tile that still has no federal connection, and then the idea that it stopped in the middle of nowhere is not the best solution either. We gave you 4 points to your route challenge only because the diretion is excellent.
B.   The rail cut off is simple and very effective. The control route entrance is well done also, and the use of military tents and a policecar on the road looks good. We gave you a solid 4 points for the cutoff challenge.
C.  We coudn't find any picture of the regional works that you have done and there for we gave you 0 points for this challengepart.

A total of 8 points were credited to your total score.

You better read the challenges more carefully making sure not to miss out on anything and fulfill the demands if you want us to judge your creations peoperly. The story was good. Good luck with the separatists.

Lynn and Fred

Your points will be added to the pointagesheet the next time it will be updated with the challenge 3 results.
judge of GRV 2 Challenge

frostwolf

Challenge 4:

Peace Gardens and Checkpoints
The Northern half of the Grand River Valley has not stood idle since the Seperatists took control of the south. As these regional views show, the north has experienced an agricultural boom. The Capital has moved to Fern Lake, and Fern Lake and the fishing city of Haven have become the largest population centers. Rail and road connections have been established throughout the region.

In the small town of North Bridgetown, now the only connection between North and South, two structures in particular have been completed. Just North of the bridge, the Border Checkpoint has been completed. Manned by sheriff's deputies, this checkpoint searches all cars traveling from the south.

Further North, in the Northwestern corner of the town (one of the few areas of North Bridgetown not developed), the Peace Garden has been established. This garden, built to symbolize a hope for peace in the region, is something of a mystery, as nobody who worked on it will reveal exactly where and how the redwoods came to be planted there. As one exhausted worker said, "Don't ask. You really don't want to know."

When asked if the juxtaposition of the peace garden with the Checkpoint less than three blocks away was somewhat of a mixed message, County Supervisor David Badger shrugged. "Not really," he said. "We want peace in the region, but we're nobody's fools."

Meanwhile, across the river...
The following information was requested and passed along to Councilman Blumrath:

Your cities thus far are as follows:
-Bridgetown: Population about 2,000
-Oak Spring: Population 174
-Oak River: Population 2,082
All cities currently have pre-seperation tax level, which is 9.3% for all residential and commercial structures, 9.7% for all agriculture and industry.

Power is generated at Oak River, and disseminated as follows.
-Oak Spring: 1,000 mwh ($107)
-Fortuna: 1,000 mwh ($107)
-Bridgetown: 2,000 mwh ($215)

Water is collected at Oak Spring, and disseminated as follows.
-Oak River: 9,000 units, direct connection. ($1)
-Bridgetown: 8,000 units, routed through the southern half of East Bridgetown (@$1) and then piped into Bridgetown (@$88)

Garbage in the south is handled by each city seperately. In the north, garbage is imported to Fern Lake Waste to Energy plant through various road routes. Only the garbage created by the communities in the North is disposed of in this manner; Bridgetown currently has some 190 tons that is being handled by a landfill on the south side of the river, while North Bridgetown routes its trash to Fern Lake.

Zoning for Bridgetown is as follows:

Oak River
Oak River was built in a fairly limited fashion, so as not to stress regional resources, or create a massive city unlike others on the tile. Further expansion will follow on your orders.

The full city view. Landfill in SE Corner.

Oak River Residential area, not including power station, which has already been shown. Despite medium zoning, no medium residential buildings have built themselves.

Oak River Town Center: This is the central plaza in downtown Oak River.

Oak River Industrial region. Even with an elementary school, high school, college, library, and several parks, the only industry with any kind of vitality is dirty industry. Unfortunately, this has led to some pretty severe air pollution, though it remains confined to the industrial area. (water pollution is still under control).

I'm using RTMTv3 for mass transit. At this time, the only mass transit built is buses, though space has been left for other mass transit options in the future.

Further images of my half of the region will follow at a later date.

zzsteven

That looks great. Give me a bit and I'll compose a proper message from the council.

zz

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

zzsteven

To Supervisor Badger

The council is pleased with the work you accomplished in Oak River. Our original plans have undergone revision and are now scaled back to more realistic goals.

We have decided to build in Bridgetown and E. Bridgetown this time.

In Bridgetown:
1- Adust the health and education budgets as required; future adjustments shall be automatic.
2- Are checkpoints located at the sourthern end of the bridge? If not please build.
3- Extend the rail and road west to the border with E. Bridgetown.
4- If needed, extend power lines to E. Bridgetown.
5- We would like some farms to the north of the new road/rail.
6- Are train stations currently in my part of Bridgetown? If so where are they located? This section may be amended to add them after your response.

In E. Bridgetown:
1- Extend the railroad west to connect with simnation.
2- Extend the road westward where it will tee. The southern tee will connect to Oak Springs, the northern leg will stop at the river.
3- Build a small village of 500- 1000 people.
4- Provide adaquet police, fire, health, and an elementary school.
5- Build a small church/ chapel near the center of the village. The church along with a modest village commons will be the focal point of the town.
6- We will need a train station in the village.
7- We would like a couple of small commercial stores in town also.

Attached is a crude map of what we are trying to explain. This only a general idea and can be adapted as you see fit.
The black line is the road
Red line is RR. Ignore the turn to the north, I couldn't figure how to erase it
Green is the village
Yellow is farmlands

Regards,
Stephen Blumrath

OOC: Sorry about the lousy map.

frostwolf

Got some trouble in Grand River Valley.

Just moved from Nor Cal to Central Nevada, and I'll be here for a year. Internet connections are spotty at best out here, as there's no incentive for the one internet company to care about their infrastructure working. This is the first time i've been able to access the internet since I got here.

Thus, I'm going to be lagging a bit with my posts. I'd still like to be in the challenges, but with work and life in a new town, I don't know how effective I'll be. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, I'll do my best, but I'm not making any promises. I think that's all anyone can say.

As to the newest challenge, I think I'll quote Wash Hoban: "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd?" ;)

frostwolf

To Stephen Blumrath: there are two passenger stations in Bridgetown, one in the downtown area, one in the industrial area, and a freight station in the industrial area.

Badger

zzsteven

To Supervisor Badger: Additional train stations are not needed in Bridgetown then.

Blumrath

frostwolf

Well, it looks like I'll have to take a zero for this challenge. Real life just kept getting in the way. I'll still post images to show how it all went down, but it may be a bit before I have the time. Things like getting a job and helping out around the house come first, as they should.

I'm still here, just not to the same extent as before.

-David

mrbisonm

If you can post your update before wednesday, then we will still give you the points you earned, without the Bonus point for being on time though.
;)

Fred

frostwolf

I'll do my best, then. ;)

Edit: Expect update wednesday morning early. If it's not up by nine or ten, it's probably not going to appear.

frostwolf

Okay, here it is. Not quite as advanced as I might have liked, but here it is.

Seperatist orders:
From the Seperatists.

Re: Building orders
Two new cities are ordered to be constructed in tiles D and F. The disposition of these tiles is as follows:
Tile D
-Residential and small commercial in center of south bank, near the river. Surrounding the city in a U shape, farmland.
-Adequate police, fire, health, and educational facilities.
-Adequate water, power, and waste disposal
-Road connections to tile G and E

Tile F:
-City centered upon the intersection of the roads, with residential and commercial structures, industrial development connected to the rail, south of the town, and farmland throughout the remainder of the tile.
-Adequate facilities, as above, in the tile.
-A waste to energy plant, to recieve all waste from surrounding seperatist regions.

-No military installations are to be built in either tile by the seperatists. We are a peaceful people, who only want our freedom.

To Mayor JJ: You seem to have plenty of food in your region now, so we do not feel as though you need our help any longer. There is no reason for our two countries to be reunited. However, if you are willing to recognize our freedom, we are willing to reopen all the transportation routes that were cut, and resume peaceful trade with your country.

Region views:

First, the seperatists.

I zoned the agricultural zones in Bridgetown as ordered. However, with ag demand low, there wasn't much I could do to fill in the voids.

Control points were added to the south

South
The Army took over the Northern Checkpoint with multiple tanks.

North
As one can see at the right, there is a patrol ready to search any train coming into North Bridgetown, and trains are ordered to stop or be destroyed by the tanks just beyond the sentry box. I'll build a more permanent checkpoint when I can figure out what it should look like with the stuff available to me.

In the poorly named East Bridgetown (apparently a dyslexic moment), a town was constructed as per orders.

This image shows the town square, and the church.

Part II: The Army Arrives
Despite misgivings within the county government about bringing in the military...

(Supervisor Badger: "Misgivings? What misgivings? We gave up all the bloody bottomland on the west bank of the Iron River, and a nice section of waterfront in Sand Point, all for some purile saber rattling!")

Ahem. Despite the misgivings of certain sections, the military moved several thousand troops into the area, creating three bases in addition to various bivouacs hither and yon. The Army and Air Force bases are purposefully not built up, as that would have taken considerably longer than necessary in the game world.

Army Base at the junction of Iron River and Grand River, in the NW Corner of East Bridgetown.

Originally, I'd planned to build the base up from this point, but time was not on my side. I built it as a bivouac because I figured building an entire base would take a longer time (in game terms) than strictly necessary.

Sand Point Naval Station

Because of local terrain, depth of local waterways, etc, large ships are not possible to operate in this environment. This base essentially deploys small patrol boats to the region, which are much more effective in these waters.

Scott's Landing AFB

This airstrip, which extends 14 squares into the base at East Bridgetown and is 114 squares in length, is to scale for a proper 6,000 ft. runway, which seems to be the standard for smaller jet aircraft. Probably a bit short for a jet fighter, though.

Unfortunately, because of time constraints and work, I'm afraid this will have to be my last post to GRVII. It's gotten to the point where I can't keep up, either time-wise, or with the downloads I can get. I've had a lot of fun, and I hope I can be involved with GRVIII, but I think it's time for me to throw in the towel on this one.

mrbisonm

Sorry to hear that you're leaving the GRV II Challenge. We wish you lots of luck in whatever you'll be doing irl and please drop in once in awhile to leave a comment. Glad you were able to finish this challenge.

Fred and Lynn

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

Your update was entertaining to look at and read, we liked a lot of things about it, especially the statue/monument park. Good job on challenge 4 and we added a total of 13 points to your pointage sheet.

Fred and Lynn