• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge #2

Started by CabraBuitre, April 10, 2009, 09:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabraBuitre

I'm a bit behind on this one... I've been having trouble logging into SC4D tonight with firefox so I had to download a new browser to even get on!  I'm almost finished with what I'm going to present here and on my honor, I will not look at any other "graded" challenge #2 sections.  Feel free to take off points for late work if ya want... but tonight is really the first time I've had to play since the last challenge!

Check out Abelfarei!

dedgren

I feel your pain, my friend.  I posted a minute (and two seconds) before Midnight EST (GMT-5).  Fred's a pretty reasonable guy, though, and the only competition here is against ourselves in any event.  Looking forward to seeing your utilities and new road.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

CabraBuitre

Still having a couple of issues...  :thumbsdown:  This will be forthcoming tomorrow... I promise!

Check out Abelfarei!

mrbisonm

Quote from: CabraBuitre on April 11, 2009, 01:42:05 AM
Still having a couple of issues...  :thumbsdown:  This will be forthcoming tomorrow... I promise!

Please make sure that you'll have by tomorrow, since everyone is waiting for the 3 challenge and You are holding it up.......lol...Stressed now, hope so! ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

CabraBuitre

Thanks for your patience!

Mayor Cabra caught some flack after his last assignment (the phrase "do this again and you're fired" came up more than once!).  Mayor Cabra had a vision of being the end of the road for both Highway 10 and the National Coastal Railroad.  The Governor had seen this land as a great through-way.  And the Gov'nah wasn't too impressed with the two tunnels that were drilled to provide a path for Hwy 10.  When Mayor Cabra showed him the gold that was mined when the tunnels were drilled he thought that maybe there should be a few MORE tunnels drilled...  And Mayor Cabra was next instructed to build another highway, so the opportunity presented itself.

Mayor Cabra wanted to fulfill the previous assignment a bit, though, so he took the route of the new Highway J (so aptly named because of the letter it most closely resembles) south of the foothills from tile B, across the Grand River at a pretty narrow spot with an immaculate but efficient bridge on tile E before meeting up with the National Coastal Railroad in tile H.  After crossing the Little Trickle in tile H, Highway J crosses over the tracks and heads south to the rest of the country.

Mayor Cabra was also charged with providing power and water resources for his new land of Ghiglieri.  After looking at the available resources and reading up on the current technology, here's what he came up with.

The water supply was a cinch.  The miners who drilled the mines, er, tunnel in tile B enjoyed crystal clear drinking water from the swift flowing stream and also enjoyed the natural hot springs located in the hills as well.

As you can see in the picture above, the miners constructed a water tower in the town they build that now houses the local workers.  It has the ability to store drinking water... but the town has stored hot water from the hot springs that helps to heat their homes in the winter and provide warm showers throughout the year too!

The stream that feeds the region bubbles up from the depths of the mountain.  Unique geologic characteristics mean that it will never run out of water (as long as the Grand River still flows nearby!)

Here is a great pic that shows some of the purification of the water.  The spray from the falls is absorbed by the trees and goes right back into the ground water, purer than before.

You can also see the steam from some of the hot springs.

And finally the pumping station itself.  Not only does this station draw water from the stream, it pumps polluted water deep into the earth to be purified by natural means.

The Mayor also went for a natural power source too.  He first thought of a renewable source such as wind or solar power, but these are unreliable and currently aren't as efficient as other renewable means.

Here you can see the Geothermal power plant located in tile I.  What appear to be hills behind the plant are actually a volcanic hump.  Magma lies right beneath the surface but vents in the hot springs so there is no danger of eruption.

A close-up of the plant.  You can see some of the hot springs close by.

Check out Abelfarei!

soulchaser

very nice choice of lots. I like it
:thumbsup:

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Your challenge 2 is well done according to the rules and the demands. You can now play on 2 more citytiles anywhere in your region. This will be a part of challenge 3. Make sure that you have at least 100 citizens each in all three tiles you played in (no population max limit).

Lynn and Fred

mrbisonm

Judgement of Challenge 2

A.   There was a better way to locate the new route, but yours is quite acceptable and well chosen, even if it followed route 10 for awhile in the beginning. We gave you 4 points for this challenge. Access to several new terrains were appreciated.
B.  Geothermal is an excellent and clean source of energy and very much appreciated. The location is well represented. We gave you 4 points for this challenge.
C.  A lot of work was implicated to have this watersystem look right. The idea is very good, so is the story that came along with it. The only thing is what is that old windpump doing there? We gave you 4 points for the waterchallenge.

A Total of 12 Points were added to your challenge.

Congratulations, well done, could have a little better with the waterlots, maybe different lots or better looking props. Somehow missing some details on this. Good luck with the next challenge.

Lynn and Fred

CabraBuitre

Thanks for the points!  After plopping that water lot, it looked bare to me, too...

In retrospect, I should have modified the lot to include props.  Here's a pic of the original... sans props:

Do I have the Governor's permission to make this more realistic by adding some props, just for updated aesthetics (not for points)?

Check out Abelfarei!

Rayden

Quote from: CabraBuitre on April 15, 2009, 10:21:19 PM
Thanks for the points!  After plopping that water lot, it looked bare to me, too...

In retrospect, I should have modified the lot to include props.  Here's a pic of the original... sans props:

Do I have the Governor's permission to make this more realistic by adding some props, just for updated aesthetics (not for points)?

Not only props, as an industrial facility, that white base texture hurts my eyes, I'm sure you can easily find one more suitable to the nice model of your lot. ;)

mrbisonm

After a judgement is done you can do whatever you wish with your lots to make them look better (or worse....lol). Try another ground texture also. ;)

Fred