• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

zz's Tribulations in Bordertown

Started by zzsteven, April 19, 2009, 08:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Golf, beach, and the Fox and Hound pub is nearby. Nice, green, lush area. Sign me up.

I especially like the construction site for the customs and weigh station. It is a good way to transition to the next challenge (I think) ...

Good Luck.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

zzsteven

Challenge 6a

A bit difficult to go from 40,000 population to 125,000 in two weeks. The 40,000 in a city tile wasn't hard, the region part was time consuming. As of this morning I wasn't sure we'd make it.

6a.1

6a.2

6a.3

Thank you Barby for sharing the region mod you're using. It's exactly what I was looking for.

zz

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

Orders given are of good sense and 4 points were given. The realization of the orders received are well executed and 5 points are added. The statue or monument is not really a statue/monument, but it well located and the story that comes along with the pictures are well and entertaining. 4 points were given.

We enjoyed the farmland and the wooden patches here and there, like irl. Residential areas could have been improved but are still fairly well done. Good update. We have added 13 points to your total.

Fred and Lynn

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mrbisonm

1. All reconnections were nicely and more or less securly done and 3 points were earned.
2. Your orders for the adversary were well formed and well thought over. We decided to give you 4 points for this part of the challenge.
3. Nice to see some good work with the completion of the rebel's demands. Very well done. A solid 4 points were given.
4. Finally we have someone that really understand the meaning of a temporary military airport, not too big and good looking with a grasslike runway. A solid 4 points were given for this.
5. Hard not to give you 4 points for the scenic run of the rails. Excellently done.
1 Bonus point for being ontime with your upload.

You have earned yourself a total of 20 points, which is excellent and one of the best in this challenge. Congratulations.

Lynn and Fred

zzsteven

Challenge 7

7.1 Industry

7.1a An overview of the fledgling industry of Casper:

7.1b The city recently signed a lease with the Bordertown RR. With the expansion of the railyard this will attract more industry to build on the vacant lots. These empty lots are a well known area of drugs and prostitution.

7.1c Nope, no criminal activity today.

7.2 Commercial

7.2a Georgetown is a small rural community based mostly on agriculture

7.2b

7.2c Every small town needs a clocktower..... How else will you get back to the future?

7.3 Resources

7.3.1a The iron ore mine at Casper with the crushing plant in the foreground.

7.3.1b

7.3.2a Salt mine in Deerfield with the next phase under construction

7.3.2b The base and overlay textures need more work.  &mmm

7.4 Farms.. huge farms.. gargantuan farms.. farms with meglomania... ;D  First I refer you to my pics from Ch6a, I have large farms. How ever...

7.4a

7.4b
One of the two remaining farms in Casper. Sadly, the others succumbed to the greedy land developers in what the history books now refer to as "The infamous population boom of 6a". As a side note, in the background one can see the ruins of the depised horticulturist and genetist Dr. Ploppncee. His mutations continue to overrun local streams and are a great concern to the town council.

7.5 Central park
What to say.... a small rural village with a population of 6000... small town square.

soulchaser

Good job on this zz....\me likin'

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Catching up nicely........only one more to go to be at the same stage as myself. ;)
Good luck and nice going.

Fred

zzsteven

Challenge 8

As the Governor gave his speech regarding our future in a global economy, I considered the options available. Our major products were iron ore, steel, agriculture, and the beginings of a salt industry. Our factories were turning out high quality consumer goods. Products that are best shipped by rail, sea, and road. With a population of 148,000, a large seaport was out of the question. So we will start with docks and wharves. Also the railyards will be expanded to accomdate the increasing amount of consumer goods we are manufacturing.

8.1a

8.1b

8.2 As Falsmouth (Tile F) is our industrial center, our efforts were there. All following screenshots are from tile F.

8.2a

8.2b

8.2c

8.2d

8.2e

8.2f

8.2g

8.2h

8.2i

8.2j

8.3 events, disasters, bibical plagues........ Ummmmm I must live a charmed life..... The worst that occured was farmer John and his sons got drunk and burned down one of the trees in the orchard. It suprised the heck out of me and I didn't think to take a pic. Sorry.

zz

zzsteven

Challenge 9

A small rustic national park typical of most in the US; not like Disneyworld as some seem to believe.  :)

The Theodore Cleaver National Park:

b1
Fed from an underground spring, the waterfall is a popular attraction. The various trails provide many picturesque scenes. Recent forest fires have left a scar on the land for now but plants are returning quickly.

b2
Another photo from the air showing the waterfall, Wallace Bay, and the picnic area at Beaver Point.

c
The entrance to the park with the welcome station to the left.

d1
The Eddie Haskell Campgrounds provide cabins for those who rough it but not really "rough it". In the foreground is the general store and a play area. Run by Mary Ellen Rogers, it's the center of activity for the campground.

d2
For those who prefer the "Lumpy" Rutherford Campsite is as close to nature as one can get without sleeping under a tree.

d3
A picnic area for an afternoon of communing with nature.

d4
And the Beaver Point picnic area again.

e
The road shot. The tunnels suprised me when they built, was trying to build the road over the mountain. They looked kinda cool so I left them and made them part of the story.

f
Looking for Bigfoot.

2a
The park in tile L, my largest city.

2b

2c
It's to spread out to fit in one shot and I wanted to get the bathrooms in the picture. :)

Small park in tile H.

One more for the heck of it.

5 That area was chosen because it was one of the few places undeveloped. Also I wanted to try to build something in a mountanous area, this seemed perfect spot. As the southern tip of the national park that extends north into the next region; we will be able attract the tourist from up north.

That's all I'm going to write, running out of ideas to describe things.

zz

soulchaser

good job in both challenges.....though the pics seem a bit oversaturated....I like the hilly park...
keep on building.....but rl comes first ;)

Recently Iced

zzsteven

Quote from: soulchaser on October 10, 2010, 09:21:55 AM
good job in both challenges.....though the pics seem a bit oversaturated....I like the hilly park...
keep on building.....but rl comes first ;)

Thanks soulchaser.  Oversaturated as in to much plants or something else? I think I overdid it a bit with the plants.

EDIT: Hilly park? I live in SW Fla; those are mountains to me.  ;D

zz

jmyers2043

Hey ZZ

That's a nice location for the park. And I like the picnic area. Are you going to do challenge 10 too?

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

zzsteven

Thanks Jim.

I'm looking foward to challenge 10. I developed way to many tiles and suspect the hiway building is going to be rather destructive.

zz

soulchaser

Quote from: zzsteven on October 10, 2010, 10:04:29 AM
Thanks soulchaser.  Oversaturated as in to much plants or something else? I think I overdid it a bit with the plants.

EDIT: Hilly park? I live in SW Fla; those are mountains to me.  ;D

zz

Oversaturated = the colors are a bit too plastic ;)....maybe just my mood in fall ;)

And: I'm from Bavaria, Germany...those are hills  :P

don't worry with ch. 10...mine is really destructive (considering the farms), too....not that bad  &Thk/(

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

I am working on your challenge 10 early this week, probably have it ready before wednesday. Good looking challenge 9, I'll be judging it later. Good luck

Fred

mrbisonm

Ok zzsteven, here I bring you your headache for the 10th Challenge, hope you'll still love me after that. lol

It ain't that bad and difficult and besides, we can talk it over. I am flexible. ;)

Highway Transportation and Regional Access

Here is Your Highway Challenge 10, zzsteven.

This is the most difficult Challenge in the series of Eleven Challenges in all (Plus the final/conclusion in 12). This challenge is to test your mayorly patience and logical sense of planning and construction. Use all your Mayor skills to make it practical, logical and beautiful looking.

The highway itself  is shown in RED and is allowed to change into an Avenue (Boulevard) on 3 different tiles only, so choose your locations well. You may build only 50% or so of an avenue in each tile though, the rest will have to be highway (any form of it). You are not allowed to build any avenue in the country, only within town- or city- limits. Building an Avenue is an option (maybe even a relief in some cases) and is not demanded for.

RED CIRCLES indicate where the 2 Highway Intersections demanded should be, it may differ from one Player to another whether it is three, four or more directions.

YELLOW CIRCLES indicate where we would like to see the access ramps to the highway. You may build as many access ramps as you wish, as long we see these 3 indicated ones in their locations.

Remember that the *PLAN* can be discussed and negociated and may be alternated to a certain degree. Up to you to give us your suggestions. First study your situation with the plan given and then offer us the results of capability and/or demands for alternations before starting building. It is the Governor's final decision who should be respected at the end, and of course, be executed as such. Only a certain amount of alternation though can be negciated and/or will be accepted. In general the plan should be executed as drawn as much as possible (shown) on the map above, unless you have valid good reasons to ask for needed changes or alternations.
ONLY after the Governor has given his official confirmation and the *Green* light, you may start the regional construction.

After the Governor's confirmation of construction, you may show us your progress with several posts and pictures while you're constructing through the region. Only once finished the Challenge, we will ask you for the pictures needed for the judgement, again, they will be individually demanded.

In Your case...   

... you will start your highway in tile D and following the river into tile E while crossing the small river northbound over the river's island. Then you meet your first intersection and turn southward and head over the two big islands into the tile H on one side and the other will continue slightly northwards between the the two towns and contour the mountain range into tile B, C and then sharp turn south to F where you have the second intersection, which goes strictly eastward and ends into an exit to connect to the city/town near the river's mouth. Hope you'll like this challenge, it will take some thinking and work to realize it. Good luck.

Pictures needed of Your Challenge 10:

..........(coming up after confirmation of Construction from the Governor and after the end of the regional construction).........

We wish you good luck with this last enormous Project of GRV II and hopefully enjoy while executing it. No rush, take your time. ;)
We also will be anxious to see your project advancing as you hopefully will show us with pictures as you slowly wind through the region.

Fred (Lynn will be present for the judgements later)

zzsteven

Okay.... We spent the past month learning how to build a highway and learning how to lot in PIM-X. Neither of these have we ever done before. Version 1 of challenge 10 is complete and could be posted but I'm not happy with it, it could be better.... much better. So I decided to move it into backups, reload the Challenge 9 backup and start over again. Just letting y'all know that I am working diligently on this challenge... and it really is a challenge.  :)

zz

mrbisonm

I know that this must be kinda hard for a fellow who has not been doing a lot of highways, nor making lots, but like the title says, it is the GRV II "Challenge", right?  lol
We all wish you good luck. I am still working on my Challenge 9, can't wait to attack the tenth, see what you all are going through ;)

Fred