• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge #5

Started by CabraBuitre, May 18, 2009, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabraBuitre

... My grandma always said if you can't kill 'em with kindness, kill 'em with a gun...

Challenge #5 will be posted here.

Check out Abelfarei!

mattb325

Hello CabraBuitre - could I please see a transportation map showing the current state of your region.

Thankyou

newsimaddict

Quote... My grandma always said if you can't kill 'em with kindness, kill 'em with a gun...

wow...my grandma couldn't even hold a gun!

CabraBuitre

Quote from: newsimaddict on May 19, 2009, 03:54:29 PM
wow...my grandma couldn't even hold a gun!

Yeah, truth be told, neither one of my Grandmas would have never touched one even if she had the opportunity... but I needed a lead-in to added hostilities!

Check out Abelfarei!

CabraBuitre

Quote from: mattb325 on May 19, 2009, 03:47:33 PM

Hello CabraBuitre - could I please see a transportation map showing the current state of your region.

Thankyou

Yep, next time the satellites fly over I'll post some pics.

Check out Abelfarei!

CabraBuitre

Here are the current overheads:

Satellite view with city names:

Satellite view:

Transportation view:

Check out Abelfarei!

CabraBuitre

My orders for XiahouDun:

Quote from: CabraBuitre on May 21, 2009, 10:49:07 PM
OK, here are your orders!

First off... The official names (of the tiles) can stay... but the Separatists want to break away... so they want names on their city tiles.  These can be unofficial (i.e. you don't have to go back and rename the cities if you don't want to) but they want to put their mark on the land... by giving the city tiles a name!

The Separatists are upset, toom about the local media's portrayal of their plight.  They would like to make sure that their story is properly told in the next update.
(In other words, I would like to see a story when you are showing your pictures.  Just make something up!  Check out my updates from #2, #3, or #4 for some examples).

Anyway... back to the Separatists.  Like I said, they're pretty honked off that they're not getting to tell their side of the story and so they have created their own media outlet... KSIM.

Somewhere in this update, you need to create the KSIM headquarters, found HERE.

It can be in either tile and anywhere you'd like... as long as it looks natural.

In closed-door discussions with the south, the Separatists have decided to reopen the river crossings... but there will be security checks at each crossing, and anyone could be denied access for any reason. 

Now, to the building.

You will build, next, in tiles F and L.  Start off by building a main road from Hwy 10 east, through F and into L where it turns north and connects with K.  It should follow the coast but it should be an in-land road (able to build on both sides), not a coastal road.

You will then be building on the east side of F (the side towards L) and the west side of L.  You should build two linked towns that have working balances of residential, commercial, and industry, but the industry should be as High Tech as possible.  To achieve this, you will want to make sure you have plenty of schools. Please create these like normal and build a college in tile F as well (You can build one in L if you would like, too, as an extension site of the main campus in F).  Please name the college and make sure you tell us what the mascot is!

Add the necessary utilities/services as you see fit.  These cities should be well-educated and can be well-off if you are able to get the $$$ people to move it!  Keep the densities to low or medium at this time for residential and commercial.  Industrial can have a few large employers if you would like.  You may want to build these kind of close together because of the next part...

Please also build a monorail between F and L.  It should link the residential, commercial, and industrial sections and can travel which ever path you see fit (can be straight line or loop, which ever you choose).

Finally, construct a city center in each of the two tiles F and L as the center for the local governments, with the center of the Separatists regional government being placed in F.  Don't go overboard... but make it show off a bit if you want.  Link these two city centers with the monorail as well.

This may seem like a lot... but you really are just building two working cities, adding one specific building, with a monorail and High Tech industry.  The difficult part may be the monorail... but this may actually help the cities to grow well.  The last part with the government centers can really be done in any way you see fit.

Check out Abelfarei!

CabraBuitre

Still waiting for my orders...

Check out Abelfarei!

mattb325

...and receive these orders you shall.

After the usurpation of the previous leader, I am desirous to advance our fair shores of the North.

Your efforts shall pertain to, and be contained entirely within, the sections so named by you as Brigadoon and Erewohn.

Part 1: Erewohn.

Surveys of the land in Erewohn tell us that great seams of black coal exist near the border of the farmland in Cherry Valley. You are to construct here for us a large coal mine; it is indeed advantageous that a rail line should already cross this area - please ensure indirect connecxions to this infrastructure so that we may avail ourselves of this fortuitous coincidences of nature and engineering. Naturally road access should also be provided. After your operations, there should remain a large woodland preserve encircling the perimeters thereof; that the visual scars of such a necessary, but destructive blight, be at least hidden from the general view.

Moreover, (as ordered by the Governor) in the area that the rail connection to the South is to be restored, we seek a spur line of at least two tracks in width to terminate in a large holding yard. This holding yard shall be near the bridge that crosses the river and adjoining the border of Blairgowne. A German engineer by the name of Praiodan, working for the firm SFBT has produced examples of a similar design for the holding yards - if you feel you cannot engage his services directly, then at the very least you should seek replication of the results.

At this early stage, as I am doubtless your intuition shall already proclaim, and with all the courtesy afforded to the situation of our shared circumstance, we none-the-less remain suspicious of the intentions of our Southern brothers and would seek this pre-cautionary imposition upon  all freight that traverses twixt our shores.

We have heard many stories from travellers from far afield of the many exponential gains in science, medicine and technology that have advanced the positions of so many lives. We are desirous to rend the shackles of our agrarianism and take part in this most enlightened renaissance.

We note that your citizens have constructed a thriving metropolis on the Southern shores of Erewohn, and, in addition to those instructions listed hereinabove, we require the following for the Northern side of the river:

1) A powerplant should be built. The plant itself should cause limited pollution;
2) All buildings must have a connection to a water source and sanitation is paramount;
3) Along the northern shores of the river, you are to construct a seawall of some description to protect the industry that will be built immediately behind it from the vagaries of the daily tides. Your seawall construction should have some regard to the existing landscape;
4) Behind the seawalls, you should cause to build an industrial zone wherein manufacturing and technologically advanced industries may flourish, and you are to afford all the help you can to promote these two types of industry. This industry must occupy at least the first 12 tiles behind the sewalls. It may not extend more than 16 tiles behind the seawall;
5) You must also have regard to future growth of this area, and, leave blank not less than two spaces of at least 8 square tiles in width and depth. These tiles shall abutt the seawall, and should be cleared of the tallest trees, but not all vegetation;
6) You shall have regard to the safety of all the citizens who will inhabit the Northen half of Erewohn and cause to have built fire, police and health care
7) You shall provide enough health care to ensure that a disease research facility is built.
8 ) On the subject of education you must provide at least one of each of the following:
              A junior school
              A high school
              A library
              A museum
    You may place these at whim upon the map, but you may not place them in the industrial zone along the river, nor in the wooded expanse that surrounds the mine;
9) To the north of the industrial zone you are to construct parkland of not less than 5 tiles depth and it shall run the course of Erewohn from East to West;
10) You shall construct, using the existing rail line as the starting point, a new line that follows the course of the river along the industrial side of the parkland and make connection to the neighbouring tile, Brigadoon. The rail line must be fit for both freight and person and you shall place stations for each purpose;
11) Similarly, you are to continue the intersection of the road nearest the river bridge into Brigadoon and provide public transport with Erewohn;
12) To the north of the parkland you are to zone residential allotments. These allotments shall be zoned for medium and high density and the inhabitants therein shall be afforded adequate connecxions to the industrial areas along the river bank, the services of education, health and welfare.

Part 2, Brigadoon

Brigadoon is to be the capital of our Northern Shores. You are given more free reign in this tile, but you must ensure that the following items are met:

1) You are to continue the rail connection drawn from Erewohn through Brigadoon and onwards to Elisnoor. You are to ensure that the rail traverses only flat ground and must provide stations along the course of the line;
2) Thus, should the road connection should be also continued and fashioned in the aforementioned method;
3) Parkland of least 6 tiles depth and some form of seawall should line the northern river bank and include the knoll bordering Erewohn. In addition to the parkland, you must ensure that a town square or plaza is built within the central business area.
4) You shall cause all forms of commerce and trade to flourish in the highest densities - we have heard tales of, and are eager to see constructed, stone, steel and glass towers that pierce the heavens as homage to the capitalist pursuit;
5) You shall cause a town hall and/or some form of parliament to be constructed;
6) You must ensure that healthcare, health, safety and education are provided to our citizens. This education must include adult learning;
7) You shall only zone high density residential areas within Brigadoon;
8 ) The central island will remain untouched; you must ensure, however that adequate facilities exist to verify that movements by road pose no threat to our new capital.
9) You must place all beneficial rewards as offered when they fall due;
10) Power, water and sanitation sources must naturally be provided to ensure that these aforelisted advances are possible, however, connexions may be made with Erewohn if that more adequately suits your purpose

I trust these instructions find you well, and remain &c,.

soulchaser

I get 1: Nowhere, but what meens 2: Brigadoon? - No grid-abo? and 3: Elisnoor is iron sole?

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

CabraBuitre

Matt, a few questions...

First off, in Erehwon...

I understand the sea wall and I know I'm supposed to make an industrial zone (Manufacturing and High Tech) that is between 12 and 16 tiles deep behind the sea wall.  I don't understand the orders completely though... Is the industrial zone supposed to go the whole way along the river (from Blairgown to Brigadoon)?  Or is it supposed to only be a part of that?  And I don't understand #5 of part 1 either.  Is that just one 2x2 to 8x8 section that is left clear, or several?

SC,

Yes, Erehwon is Nowhere backwards...  Brigadoon is a musical that they did when I was in high school about 10 years ago and I have always liked the name... so it stuck!  It was set in the Scottish Highlands.  Elsinoor is a modified spelling of Elsinore (Castle) from Hamlet.  Historically, this is actually Kronborg Castle, near Helsingor Denmark.  It also just happens to be the name of a road in a town near me: Elsinoor Dr. in Lincolnshire, IL.

There actually is a lot of Scottish influence in the town/road names near me.  I live in Highwood (now a pretty Hispanic town, but historically Italian, too), but if you go west, you get to the former town of Highmoor.  Then you will get to Bannockburn, which has Stirling Ct and Dunsinane Ln.  

Check out Abelfarei!

soulchaser

And I was searching for anagrams ;) .....great choices  :thumbsup:

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mattb325

Dear CabraBuitre,

You are correct in your assumption that the industrial pursuits must extend between 12 and 16 tiles behind the seawall and run the entire length of the river shoreline between Blairgown and Brigadoon. The exception to this is the spur and rail-holding yards near the bridge.

You are of course allowed to have streets and other thoroughfares transgressing the industrial zone, so that workers and freight may have easy access.

As to my point 5, you are effectively to leave at least two areas within the industrial borough unzoned, and those unzoned parts must be of at least 8 tiles squared: one side of that zone must touch the seawall.

I trust these requests do not cause too much difficulty.

CabraBuitre

Question for you Matt... can I add a rail line up to the residential zones in Erehwon?  That way the passenger stations in the ind zones will get local riders in addition to ones from throughout the region.

Check out Abelfarei!

mattb325

Request to add rail in residential zones approved :satisfied:

CabraBuitre

As is usually the case, I'm not going to be ready by "go" time...  I misread the orders from Mr. B and thought we had until June 22nd, which was great because my wife and kids are going on vacation Tuesday... and will be gone for a whole week, AND I'm starting a new job in a week and my old job ends on Tuesday, too so I have several days with no work and no fam to get in the way of getting this challenge done.

But it's due today.  We're packing, my Mother-in-law is here and I was out of town last weekend and working this!  Guess mine will have to be that much better to make up for the penalty points!

Check out Abelfarei!

mrbisonm

This time we will not give any penalty points to anyone, if they can make it before wednesday, but you will not get the bonus point that was promissed to the ones who finished before the deadline. So you're right, it better be good..... ;) Good luck.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

CabraBuitre

First off, my orders for Xiahoudun:
Quote from: CabraBuitre on May 21, 2009, 10:49:07 PM
OK, here are your orders!

First off... The official names (of the tiles) can stay... but the Separatists want to break away... so they want names on their city tiles.  These can be unofficial (i.e. you don't have to go back and rename the cities if you don't want to) but they want to put their mark on the land... by giving the city tiles a name!

The Separatists are upset, toom about the local media's portrayal of their plight.  They would like to make sure that their story is properly told in the next update.
(In other words, I would like to see a story when you are showing your pictures.  Just make something up!  Check out my updates from #2, #3, or #4 for some examples).

Anyway... back to the Separatists.  Like I said, they're pretty honked off that they're not getting to tell their side of the story and so they have created their own media outlet... KSIM.

Somewhere in this update, you need to create the KSIM headquarters, found HERE.

It can be in either tile and anywhere you'd like... as long as it looks natural.

In closed-door discussions with the south, the Separatists have decided to reopen the river crossings... but there will be security checks at each crossing, and anyone could be denied access for any reason. 

Now, to the building.

You will build, next, in tiles F and L.  Start off by building a main road from Hwy 10 east, through F and into L where it turns north and connects with K.  It should follow the coast but it should be an in-land road (able to build on both sides), not a coastal road.

You will then be building on the east side of F (the side towards L) and the west side of L.  You should build two linked towns that have working balances of residential, commercial, and industry, but the industry should be as High Tech as possible.  To achieve this, you will want to make sure you have plenty of schools. Please create these like normal and build a college in tile F as well (You can build one in L if you would like, too, as an extension site of the main campus in F).  Please name the college and make sure you tell us what the mascot is!

Add the necessary utilities/services as you see fit.  These cities should be well-educated and can be well-off if you are able to get the $$$ people to move it!  Keep the densities to low or medium at this time for residential and commercial.  Industrial can have a few large employers if you would like.  You may want to build these kind of close together because of the next part...

Please also build a monorail between F and L.  It should link the residential, commercial, and industrial sections and can travel which ever path you see fit (can be straight line or loop, which ever you choose).

Finally, construct a city center in each of the two tiles F and L as the center for the local governments, with the center of the Separatists regional government being placed in F.  Don't go overboard... but make it show off a bit if you want.  Link these two city centers with the monorail as well.

This may seem like a lot... but you really are just building two working cities, adding one specific building, with a monorail and High Tech industry.  The difficult part may be the monorail... but this may actually help the cities to grow well.  The last part with the government centers can really be done in any way you see fit.

The new leader of the Rebels, Matt, took the opportunity to expand the rebel presence on the North side of the river.  With the ongoing negotiations, he also secured the reopening of the river crossings:

The southern crossing in Brigadoon

And the northern rebel-controlled crossing in Brigadoon

The northern rebel-controlled rail crossing in Erehwon

The southern rail crossing in Erehwon

The southerners aren't messing around anymore.  you can see the howitzer and its crew poised to blow the bridge and any train into the river if it does not slow and stop at the checkpoint.

This truly reflects the new tone of the region.

The rebels have continued their settlement of the northern region, creating two large cities that come right to the river.

This growth was spurred by the coal deposit found in the northeast of Erehwon:

Because the region was largely cut off, Matt and the rebels needed to develop their own industry with which to use the coal.

A large industrial zone was created close to the river filled with manufacturing and high tech industry.

Here you can see more of the industrial zones, as well as a rail yard and more of Separatists' Park (these people really like to divide things...!)

Here is a close-up of the park and some more of the industrial zones

And a shot of Brigadoon

You can see the city hall just to the east of the two tallest towers in the upper left of the picture, as well as the boardwalk and park by the river.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the river...

After several attempts to reconcile, Mayor Cabra finally what he'd been waiting for... a green light from the Governor to flex Ghiglieri's muscles!

The first thing that Mayor Cabra requested was assistance from the Navy.  This was for two solid reasons.  First of all, he wanted control of the river, should the Rebels decide they were going to try to attack or invade the south.

Here you can see the dock that was created at the mouth of the Hazelhurst River in southern Brigadoon.

The second reason why Mayor Cabra wanted help from the Navy is that the land to the south is still rather sparsely populated and not very industrial.  He wanted to place his military might in the best spot available... and based on the Rebels' large settlement in the north of Brigadoon, this spot is in the south of Brigadoon.  Unfortunately, only one highway and no rails go through Brigadoon... so the bulk of the supplies and arms had to come via the sea or the air.  It was much quicker to bring them by sea. 

Here you can see one of the supply ships and the AEGIS destroyer (the largest Navy vessel that could traverse up the Grand river due to the heights of the bridges).  Other larger ships lie just offshore to the east to assist if necessary.

This picture was taken right before the Higgins boats were delivered to the base in preparation for the invasion of the north.

After the Navy had control of the river and a suitable dock was created, Mayor Cabra asked for some firepower.  And boy did he get it.  Here you can see the motor pools for the heavy equipment and the bunkers for the ammunition.

Another shot of the Army base.  Here you can see the communications center (complete with high-tech RADAR) and the parade grounds.  The soldiers of Ghiglieri are very well drilled, though they haven't seen much action in battle.

The final piece of the puzzle was the Air Force.  Once the airfield was constructed, it made it much more economical to fly supplies in.

Here's a shot of the airfield.  You can also see the air-drop training portion of the base in the bottom left of the picture.

Because of the extreme proximity of the Rebels' territory, it wasn't clear how much of an effect the Air Force would have on the impending invasion.  But that did not stop the Air Force from flexing their muscle and showing what they COULD do...

An overview of the region with the Rebels to the north and the :

And a scenic rail pic:

Check out Abelfarei!

mattb325

Hi Cabrabuitre - excellent joib with the demands. The rebels (or what is left since the guv'nor disbanded us) are rightly pleased with your efforts  :satisfied:

Pat

CabraBuitre wonderful update here on Challenge 5!!! Love your military setup and your scenic rail line......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie