• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Teddah in Bordertown!

Started by Teddah, May 27, 2009, 02:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddah

Hello all!  Allow me to introduce myself.  I've played simcity games since the first SimCity Classic in 1989. (20 years?! I feel so old now...) I've never been terribly active in the forums here or at Simtropolis, though I've been a member at each for some time.  Maybe this project will change that, who knows?

I recently returned to SC4 after a long break, and happened upon this ingenious project.  This is a great way to put a new twist on one of my favorite games, and makes it more social, as well.  Well done to mrbisonm for organizing this, and to everyone participating for your excellent work as well!  After looking through many of the challenges thus far, I could not resist the urge to follow along any longer! Especially since the other region I'm working on is frustrating me at the moment...

Judges, I will take no offense if, for whatever reason, you decide that I have joined too late to be included in your scoring.  As far as I know, I should have time to complete all five challenges by the deadline of June 7th, in order to be included in the listing for challenge 6.  I can build the separatists' region on my own for challenge 4 and 5, but if you feel that would give me unfair advantage, I am open to another method if you like.

So here are my pics for Challenge 1:

Pat

hey there Teddah welcome to SC4D and to GRV II Bordertown!!! Looking forward to seeing you catch up and play along......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Teddah

Already a small farming town has popped up along Route 5!

Teddah

Challenge 2:

Route 3 reaches the far side of the region, and follows the coastline north.

This coal plant will provide the first large power source to Bordertown.  It is conveniently located near Route 3 and the main rail line, so only a short spur was needed for easy delivery of coal.  Several small industries have developed in the vicinity, and the workers have started to form a town on the other side of the hill.

A new water facility has been constructed near the northern lake, as this is the cleanest water available in the area.  It's still a bit removed from the main settlements, so the workers are slightly annoyed with having to drive so far to shop.  Development should reach here soon, though, so this is expected to be only a temporary annoyance.

More coming soon!

soulchaser

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

Teddah

Indeed, I loves me some circles! (maybe not quite as much as you though)  Most of my small towns are circular; they just look neat.  Prepare to see a few more circles here; perhaps we have a cyclonist in the planning office?

jmyers2043

Hello Teddah

Welcome to the group. You're looking good so far. I hope you can catch up with the rest of us. It will be interesting to see your interpretation of future challenges.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Teddah

Thanks, jmyers2043! Many of your excellent BATs grow in my cities, so you deserve a piece of the credit, too!

Challenge 3:

On this lovely evening in Tile H, the mayor of Bordertown prepares for a trip north of the river to tour the farmland in the area, and maybe come home with a bucket of fresh-picked produce.  Little does he suspect that the events of tomorrow will change the future of Bordertown forever...

The next morning, mayor Teddah and heads north to meet with local farmers in Tile C, turning off his cell phone to avoid any distractions.  As he drives, he marvels at how the northern side has grown up almost overnight with planted fields and tiny hamlets...

He arrives in Tile C and meets with one of the young community's leaders, Jimbob McFiddlefaddle, who shows him around some of the farms...

...and takes Teddah up the mountain in his 4-wheeler for this spectacular view.

Teddah decides to stay over tonight and continue his tour tomorrow, especially since he still has no produce to bring home.  A party is held at Jimbob's home, and the festivities continue into the night.  Teddah forgets to turn on his phone to check his messages, and thus misses the very urgent alerts about what is transpiring at the river.  The next day he is awakened by Jimbob, saying that Teddah's office staff are here, and there's a problem...

Both river crossings are blocked by the seperatist group's soldiers, who have apparently been planning this operation for months.  They were merely waiting for Teddah to be occupied to make their move.  Now they control the rail line, the power plant, and all of the region's industrial capabilities.  Fortunately, the north side has a bargaining chip in the form of the main water supply for the region.  Also, moving goods and personnel throughout the north will be easier with the new Connector 35- C35 for short- linking Routes 3 and 5 together.

It looks like the stakes have been raised!  DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!

kwakelaar

Nice how you have set up your small villages and farms. :)

jmyers2043

I like the picture that goes with the caption about the 4 wheeler. In particular the way you've done the trees on the slopes and created open areas where a meadow might be. I also like how the farms tend to nestle up against the woods on that ridge.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

TheTeaCat

Great update Teddah &apls

The rural areas look great :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mrbisonm

Welcome to our project. No problem in participating. Challenges 1 to 3 are accepted, now for the Challenge 4 and 5 you will need a partner and that will be me in this case. Please give me a few days to study your region and then I  (as the rebel) will give you my orders to build on the south of your region. This will be my regionhalf from now on. To give your orders, you will simply study my region (mrbisonm's) and give me your commands. I will not build your command, but I will judge your command to me.

We will judge your challenges a littel later, so be patient, it could take a week or so. Sounds Good to you?.....So, let's do it and let me know.

Good luck and welcome again. Enjoy your stay.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Teddah

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by! 

mrbisonm, thanks for taking the time to judge my work, and play as my rebel forces.  I had already done a bit of building in anticipation of playing the rebels myself, so here are a couple of new region pics:

mrbisonm

We, the Rebels have chosen tile M for this update. We want you to build new homes, businesses and some industries for new imigrants to the south. There should be a micture of all three wealths in residentials. Create a small middle of town with some commercials, wealth $ or $$, and add some small  manufacturing industries for approx. 500 jobs lower on the river's mouth.
We want to have a school, fire dept and water for all buildings. A nice church in the middle of the small town would be nice also. Oh, and add a lightower where the orange dot on the map is. After that we will see what we could do to make the south more attractive.

The Rebel's Leader,                     
                          General Bison

PS: Please pm me when you have finished this challenge, thanks. Btw, you have ten (10) days to do this, is this enough?

Fred

Jmouse

Hi Teddah, and welcome to the GRV II Challenge. It's always great to see how others approach the same playing field in such very different ways. Good luck with your region!

Later...
Joan

Teddah

Challenge 4 is done, I will post pictures tonight!

mrbisonm

Quote from: Teddah on June 18, 2009, 01:08:01 PM
Challenge 4 is done, I will post pictures tonight!

Good, I was wondering where you've gone to.... ;)

Fred

Teddah

Challenge 4

Mayor Teddah should be enjoying his new office in the newly constructed city hall.  The hall overlooks Memorial Park, in honor of the Seperatists...

But he's too busy being bitter about this whole Seperatist business.  He wonders why they can't at least build their own stuff and leave him alone.  Or worse, why the Governor is set on appeasing them by making Teddah personally fulfill their demands.  On further reflection, Teddah concludes that there is no city planner in the region that even approaches his own ability, and it's no wonder the Seperatists would demand his services.  "If you want something done right, hire Teddah to do it!" 

Teddah looks at his recent work for the Seperatists in Tile M with a sense of a job well done...

It was as close as he could manage to General Bison's demands.  The space between the railway and the river was supposed to host more housing, but on further inspection Teddah concluded that the space was too narrow for any construction - barely 3 tiles at the widest point - and so he left it as a green space to protect local wildlife.

Teddah built the town around this church, which was to be the centerpiece of the community.

This industrial park provides jobs to the local citizens, manufacturing goods for the region and for export.  The lighthouse protects local shipping and provides another area for green space and tourism.

The grid pattern of streets was maintained in the town center, but in the surrounding neighborhoods, Teddah took a little extra liberty with the layout to meld better with local geography.

mrbisonm

It looks good and satisfying, judging of ALL your challenges will be done in a week. Good luck. Now you have challenge 5 and 6 to do....oh boy... ;)

Fred

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

Since you couldn't give orders to an adversary, we will judge you for the whole update. The realization of orders were good, although many details could have been added, also some more time and effort could have given you better points. We decided to give you a total of 13 points that we added to your pointage sheet.

Fred and Lynn