• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bordertown - Challenge 6 by tooheys

Started by tooheys, June 21, 2009, 12:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Picture of any official bordercrossing between north and south

This is the border at Bancroft Crossing (Tile E). In this pic the compass is upside down, Sth at the top and Nth at the bottom. The northern checkpoint remains green and friendly. To the south, we have managed to pull down the barbed wire but we are having some difficulty convincing the guards that friendly is the way to go. We have made some progress, we now have grass and concrete, perhaps a tree or two and some flower gardens next. But we don't want to force the issue and ruin all the progress already made.

The Resort - The Entrance Tile L

Well the Governor did say he didn't want to travel too far between his room, the sand and the food. Well I think we have delivered here, with everything within walking distance.

Here you can see the hotel behind the beach and the restaurant to the right.

Having such a rocky shoreline, it was first considered that a beach just wasn't feasible. But after some intense haggling with our neighbours we were able to procure a regular supply of sand to fill the area between the two breakwaters. Tons of sand are dumped on the beach every night, because as the beach caretaker says " We lose half a ton of sand every time a fish farts". Of course the strong currents might also have something to do with it.

Off to the left of the beach and just across the stream you can see the depot where the sand is stored pending each nights operations.

The Beach

Plenty to do here, go for a walk around the breakwaters, picnic in the park, swim, sunbathe or just sit on the concourse and perve take it all in.

You can also find a feed and refreshments here (read beer), although the caretaker has banned beans and curry. Keeps muttering something about beach erosion?

The Hotel

Located right on the beach. most rooms have a view overlooking the beach or the pond at the back. If you leave your room, you can relax by the pool, play some tennis, practice your chipping or just relax in the garden, all without walking thru the front gate.

Of course the beach is just across the road and a top notch restaurant is just a few minutes walk away. And over the back, if you still have some energy, you can go for a row or paddle in the pond.

The Restaurant

Run by a group of monks, the "Friar's Tucker" is one of the best restaurants in the region. Not necessarily the best cooks going around, the monk's do have god on their side which seems to inspire them way above their ability level.

Beautifully located with views over the beach, promenade and the pond, and only a few minutes walk from the hotel, book ahead to reserve your favourite table.

The Menu:

STARTERS

CRAB BISCUIT
Roast Foie Gras, Crystallised Seaweed and Rhubarb

CAULIFLOWER RISOTTO
Carpaccio of Cauliflower, Chocolate Jelly

LASAGNE OF LANGOUSTINE
Pig's trotter and truffle
(Eight Pounds Supplement)

MAIN

BEST END OF LAMB

Ice-filtered Lamb Jelly, Confit Tomato and Cucumber

Onion and Thyme Fluid Gel, Hot Pot of Lamb Neck and Sweetbread

POT ROAST LOIN OF PORK, BRAISED BELLY
Truffled Gratin of Pearled Spelt
(Eight Pounds Supplement)

SADDLE OF VENISON

Celeriac, Marron Glace, Sauce poivrade;

Civet of Venison with Pearl Barley and Red Wine, Venison and Frankincense Tea

ROAST TURBOT
Mushroom Carpaccio, Morels and Asparagus, Jelly of Verjus
Turbot and Langoustine Royale

DESSERTS

The "BFG"
Black Forest Gateau
Kirsh Ice Cream and the Smell of the Black Forest 

CHANTECLERC APPLE
Fromage Blanc, Apple Milk Caramel and Vanilla Ice Cream

MASCERATED STRAWBERRIES
Black Olive and Leather Puree, Pistachio Scrambled Egg 

CHEESE

Regional Pic

So I hope everything is to the Governor's liking.

Enjoy

Mayor Dave

BarbyW

Nice update, Dave. I think there must be a franchise for that restaurant ;D
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

CabraBuitre

Check out Abelfarei!

jmyers2043

I see you and I used the same city for our entries. You've done a great job. I see you used the Diggis ponds. I tell you - those are the funnest things to use. He has given us hours of enjoyment.

I Like ( with an upper case L ) your choice of hotel. You put it on a super lot.

The menu sounds good too. So, ah, you going to invite me to diner?

Good Luck.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

turtle

Hello Dave

Here's my judgement:

1. Bordercrossing: Excellent work. It looks real. 5 points

2. Beach: Nice beach. The way it's framed by the riverwalk looks a bit weird, though. 3 points

3. Hotel: Excellent choice and great job on the surroundings. 4 points

4. Restaurant: Beautifully situated and well chosen bat. 5 points

This gives a total of 17 points
My name is Thomas...

soulchaser

Hi tooheys,
here's my opinion on your Ch. 6:

1. Bordercrossing: Those look more like entrances to parks, but you can't avoid the bars here 3 Pts.
2. Beach: Perfect small sandy beach. I especially like the smooth transition to open water. Must have been a lot of trucks ;) 5 Pts.
3. Hotel: Great BAT, great place, there might just be some traffic noise. 4 Pts.
4. Restaurant: I like the little hill and the surrounding and everything. There's just something strange with it, I don't know what. 4 Pts.

That's a total of 16 Points.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

BarbyW

My points:

1. Border crossing - excellent border crossing. 5 pts
2. Beach - good story and interesting beach. don't like the steep slope down to the water though  4 pts
3. Hotel - good choice of luxury hotel but a bit close to the roads. Could be traffic noise.  4 pts
4. Restaurant - excellent choice of building :thumbsup: 4 pts

Total points: 17
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

threestooges

Border crossing: little details like the parking area  by the gates really add to it. 5 points

Hotel: great complex, good view. Agree with Barby about the road noise potential since it seems to be on a main route. 4 points

Beach: It has to be manufactured and maintained - seems like an exorbitant luxury that the challenge was calling for 5 points.

Restaurant: great grounds, but ti must be tough for that horse carriage to get around there: 4 points

18 points.

jmyers2043

Border crossing - 4 - Good crossing

Beach - 4 - I can walk along the brick pier, sit on a bench, fish off the side, opps! Can't cast my line near the beach. Where's the beer tent? 

Hotel - 5 - by far the best use and lotting of this hotel.   

Restaurant - 5 - Good restaurant, nice lot, bright roof. 

Points = 18
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)