• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Metarvo GRVII - Challenge 7

Started by metarvo, September 02, 2009, 10:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Finally, there were no more separations and no more vacations.  The Governor was away from the area for a while, so the Mayor decided to take some time to himself.  As he flew over the region in his helicopter, he took some pictures that he would send to the Governor to be used in a progress report on the region's growth.

The oil boomtown to the east of Bordertown in Tile L is known for its oil.  However, other industries have set up shop there to take advantage of the increasing workforce that was moving into this area.

Some good growth has taken place south of the Grand River in Tile E.  The southern half of the main city of Bordertown has outgrown its northern neighbor, extending south into Tile H.  An industrial park has been built near the border of these two boundaries.

This is the southern half of the industrial park.

There are two islands in the Grand River between the two sides of Bordertown, and each side of this city has claimed one island.  Although very few large commercial buildings have developed, as the city is still small, some of the larger ones can be found on the islands, which are attractive because of the waterfront view.  On the other hand, commutes are long, and are only possible because of tunnels that run underneath the Grand River.

The older north side of Bordertown has finally grown enough that some businesses are actually open after 5 p.m.  Does anyone remember those small general stores that were here at the beginning?  Now, several medium sized commercial buildings surround Bordertown's first signalized intersection.

This is a typical small-town shopping center.  It is located south of the river.

All of the development in Tile H has arrived at the expense of the area's trees.  The Mayor has capitalized on this side effect of growth by establishing timber-processing facilities in Tile H.  Here are some trees that have been cut down in preparation for the construction of a new neighborhood.

Here, we see the lumber facility operating late at night because there is money to be made.  Since some of the facility has been constructed by Nexis, some residents say that Bordertown's logging industry is controlled by the Governor.

This is the mountain range in the northern sections of Tile C.  Coal has been discovered, and it is being shipped via rail to the power plant.  Houses have been built for the miners.

This is a night view of the coal mine.  The equipment is quite expensive, and bright lighting has been installed to deter anyone who might consider stealing it.  A railway spur has been built that connects to the Power Plant Spur, which is in turn connected to the I.L.R.R.

Many of the local farmers have sold their farms to developers.  Regional farmers are buying cheap undeveloped land and establishing large commercial farms.  The Mill Farms complex is located in Tile H.

As the sun rises, farmers begin to prepare for a busy day at Southern Farms.

This is Bordertown City Park, located in the southwestern portion of Tile E.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

TheTeaCat

Very nice work you done whilst the Guv'nor's been away. &apls &apls

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

jmyers2043

I certainly did a double take when I saw the Maxis Grain Elevator sitting at a 45 degree angle. No Wait - the roads are at the 45, not the elevator &idea  You did a good job of blending between fields and roads.

I like your shopping plaza. I also see in that same picture that you have a 'Shell' oil truck traveling down the street. I don't recall ever seeing one of those in my game - I'll have to look closer  ???  .

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Judging Challenge 7

Now that you have judged Challenge 6, you know how difficult judging is....;) Glad you understand now and thanks for judging. The judging of Challenge 6 is still open to everyone and will stay so for awhile to give everyone the chance to judge. Just remember, your judgements will only count as long as you have judged all Challenge 6's.
How this challenge (7) was judged can be found in the Challenge 7 thread. Please read it so you can judge my Challenge 7 also.
The pointage will follow in a short time and the judging of Challenge 8 will be after that. Then we will get a new Challenge to work on, while giving me the time to get the Challenge 9 judging done. I will have to do my own part of Challenge 8 first before I start judging yours.
Not everyone will get their judgements of Challenge 7 at the same time, so please have some patience so I can do them all, a matter of two or three days only.
Thanks.

1. Your industrial park looks good on one picture, then not so good on another one, but I gave you 3 points, especially for the view 5 picture which I liked a lot and which looks quite realistic.
2. Kinda hard to tell where your downtown commercials are and the night picture didn't help much either, but I still gave you 3 points for the efford.
3. Your resources are fairly good, I like the idea of forestation as a resource since I am from one of the countries that produces a lot of it. Both coalmines, open sky and underground look good and well placed. A good 4 points were added.
4. Farming is a little poorly done and not so realistic looking, but because they have been done diagonally I gave you 3 points the same. They are too sqaure and too symmetrically the same size looking.
5. Well I almost gave you 2 points for the central park because it isn't central at all and I don't even see housings or buildings nearby, but while it is fairly nicely done, you earned yourself 3 points.

In general the whole challenge is done quite satisfying. Some minor adjustments and it could have been better. A total of 16 points were added to your summary.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)