• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Request: Paralel inter-tile ramps

Started by matias93, June 27, 2016, 10:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matias93

Would it be possible to create something like this, but with RHW, Roads or both?

Many highways have parallel one-way roads that act as local routes (here in Chile they are called 'caleteras'), and because of the alignement, can have very short and levelled ramps, in the exact same fashion as the turning tracks do (that eggman121 has teased in this forum). These ramps could also ease the building of a collector-distributor system, by reducing the width of the needed right of way.

I haven't asked for this before because simply assumed it required too-much-complicated modding and routing, but it seems is not as impossible as I thought.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tarkus

RHW support for tighter C/D-lane or frontage road setups is something that's been on the list for a long time, but never really implemented.  There's a few aspects of it that make it more difficult than doing it with Rail.  The Rail network's INRUL files actually support a whole host of additional flag types for dealing with branching junctions, which all the Road and Highway-type networks do not.  Additionally, the matter of directionality is more critical with the RHW side, whereas all these Rail networks have two-way pathing.  There might still be some trick INRULing that could be done, but it'd likely entail a more RUL2-heavy implementation.

That said, it's by no means impossible, and it's still something I'd like to see happen.

-Alex

LucarioBoricua

Over the next days I'll be publishing some drag patterns assisted by the network disconnector to explore the possibilities of inter-tile ramps. I sincerely believe that we still have good options to make these using more INRUL instead of RUL2.

Wiimeiser

Looks like a job for FLEX pieces to me... (RRW already has such pieces so there's a precedent)
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

LucarioBoricua

As anticipated, here's what will happen under the hood to make the inter-tile RHW ramps possible. This would be the drag pattern basis, but will use a similar programming for the FLEX pieces:

And here's an approximation of what these ramp pieces would do, using the fractional angle ramp interfaces:

LucarioBoricua

Starting development of these!!

MIS to RHW-4, no lane transfer:

RHW-4 to MIS, no lane transfer:

MIS to RHW-6C, no lane transfer:

MIS to RHW-6C, no lane transfer:

RHW-4 to RHW-6S, 1 lane transferred:

RHW-6S to RHW-4, 1 lane transferred:

Wiimeiser

I can see myself using that last one and putting a basketweave to the left of it. Looking good so far. I wonder if it's coming in the next version?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on February 08, 2022, 12:05:13 AMI can see myself using that last one and putting a basketweave to the left of it. Looking good so far. I wonder if it's coming in the next version?

No, these will not be part of NAM 44.

-Alex