• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SimCity4 10 years!

Started by mave94, January 14, 2013, 12:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mave94

Happy birthday SimCity4!

Who would have thought ten years ago that ...

... there are ferries, one-way roads and high-speed trains?
... it is possible to make custom buildings at all?
... it is possible to make new effects?
... there are waterfalls, fires, snow and street bridges?
... we have new networks?
... we can make custom intersections?
... it is possible to make a real-life region at scale in SC4?
... we can build cities like Paris, New York and Tokyo?
... we made custom bridges?
... we have custom cars and airplanes?
... we can make huge cities very fast with the CAM?
... networks can be other than diagonal and orthogonal?
... it's possible to make custom queries?
... we can even edit the UI?
... props can be seasonal?
... we can build cities without anything from the original game?
... we can make airports the way we want?
... we can make (almost) everything we want?
... we have weather in SC4?
... custom trees are ploppable and even cars and sims?
... we can go beyond our world?
... there's still so much interest in this game, ten years after the release?
... there is such a great community, called SC4D?

Thank you community for what we achieved in the past ten years. I celebrate this birthday with the installation of SC4 on my new computer. :)
Perhaps in the next ten years we will be able to ...

... build below sealevel
... drag diagonal bridges
... make FAR bridges
... build cities with only MMPs
... make working ploppable residential buildings that won't be abandoned
... do things we could never think of

-Matthijs

MandelSoft

I'll raise my glass on that. Congrats, SimCity 4!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

FrankU

Yes! And all that is possible.....
We will see what we, or better stated: other people from several sites that are way better in interpreting IT-stuff than I am, cna squeeze out of this game!

And still waiting for a sequel that gives us the things computers can do nowadays with the versatility and complexity of the ten years old game we play every day.

I'd say: let's congratulate ourselves, some of us more than others, for the way we have changed this simple game into a hobby of it's own.

Getron

Heee, Congrats, SimCity 4!

10 years of fun and still going on.

To the next 10 years and more.... :D

Getron

sunv123

10 years, it's amazing how far we've come. I hope that this anniversary will be grand and full of great stuff, as it is 2013.

I hope that the next generation after me will have the same excitement that I have in years to come and hope that Simcity 4, the greatest game on earth, will stay strong. :)

Congrats to Simcity 4 on this accomplishment, and here we go.

~ Victor
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

jmyers2043

Quote from: sunv123 on January 14, 2013, 04:47:27 AM
10 years, it's amazing how far we've come. I hop that this anniversary will be grand and full of great stuff, as it is 2013.

It does not feel like 10 years. My game changes and feels new all the time. Sometimes removing old content. Replacing it with newer - better content.

Quote from: Getron on January 14, 2013, 03:15:14 AM
To the next 10 years and more.... :D

As long as my ten year old computer keeps booting up I'll be here. Ten year old computer? Wow! Well, I'm not that confident. I backed up the MyDocs and Gmax folders yesterday. It took 3 hours. :D 

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

benedict

Happy Birthday, SC4!

And many thanks to all in the SC4D community who make it possible to keep the game looking young and fresh each year.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

JoeST

Indeed, thank you so much to the rest of you for playing for so long :D

And congrats to the game, what an awesome 10 years its been XD
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

strucka

It hasn't been exactly 10 years for me, but nonetheless the only game that has a permanent spot on my computer. I know my life would be a little less enjoyable if it weren't for simcity and especcially all the awesome communities that support the game and making it immortal. I am willing to bet that there will never be a game again that would still be so alive and productive as this one.

Happy birthday Simcity and I wish you all many more years of enjoyment!

noahclem

Happy 10 years to SC4  :party:   Amazing how fun and up to date such an old game can be. Pretty sure this game holds many years of interest to come for me still!

mike3775

I'll say this, even not needing to play the game, this place is a fun place to come to, just to keep up on all the new stuff and chime in on idea's, even if its something you are not interested in.

It took me years to ditch MHW for RHW, but I did after awhile, and it was because I would see what others came up with via RHW(especially people like Tarkus and Haljackey).  I didnt care for the NWM either at first, but again, seeing city journals with major uses of them, made me want to play with them.

This site also has some of the very best people that will assist on a moments notice if you need help, and staff is top notch as well.

One does not need to play the game to have fun here at all, which is probably why I feel its the best simcity 4 site on the net honestly.

Tarkus

Wow . . . 10 years.  It's been a phenomenal ride thus far--here's to many more.  Happy birthday, SimCity 4! &dance

(And happy birthday to Matt (threestooges)--rather fitting that one of our Global Mods also has a birthday today. ;))

-Alex

threestooges

Good day to release a game, I'd say. Oddly enough though, if I recall, I actually got the game for Christmas that year... or was it my birthday. Anyway, it's been a fun ride, and here's to many more years for the game to come.
-Matt

dedgren

Happy 10th, SC4.  We've still got a ways to go with you yet.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sim_link

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already. With all the content the community has created it certainly doesn't feel like a 10 year old game.  ;D

M4346

Well, I never resorted to the violence of urban planning, but I certainly took an active interest in town and regional planning, community and urban development, infrastructure development, architecture and urban design and local politics.  $%Grinno$% ::) :D ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

lotherius

It's amazing that not only did I pre-order SimCity 4 way back then..... But I also had the original SimCity back in 1992 or so.... (yeah, I missed the release date on that one...)

mike3775

Quote from: dedgren on January 15, 2013, 12:32:24 AM
Happy 10th, SC4.  We've still got a ways to go with you yet.

David

And that is why this game will never die.  It is amazing how much stuff that was intended to be placed in the game, that never was, but was left and how dedicated players can take that unused stuff and make it playable. 

Its a shame that they refuse to allow the .exe to be unlocked, considering they have no interest in furthering the game at all

FrankU

And what will happen to our game when one day our friends in Redmond decide to change the OS substantially in such a way that the game cannot be installed again? Or the day that my little son gets his hands on the disk, throws it in his sandpit and scratches it irreparable?

How to avoid these disasters?

:'(  :'(  :'(

P.S: we have these virtual CD-programs that can handle a CD image file like it were a CD/DVD reader, meaning that I can put the original disk into a secure place and use the image instead. But I guess these don't work with copy-protected disks?

Swordmaster

Quote from: FrankU on January 16, 2013, 05:31:57 AM
And what will happen to our game when one day our friends in Redmond decide to change the OS substantially in such a way that the game cannot be installed again? Or the day that my little son gets his hands on the disk, throws it in his sandpit and scratches it irreparable?

How to avoid these disasters?

:'(  :'(  :'(

P.S: we have these virtual CD-programs that can handle a CD image file like it were a CD/DVD reader, meaning that I can put the original disk into a secure place and use the image instead. But I guess these don't work with copy-protected disks?

I have a couple disks. . . I'm sure I can send one over to you should your son decide to go on a rampage. I also have the digital steam version which I think is around €2 or €3.  Incidentally, I also have a copy of XP and Vista lying around for the same reasons. I even have Win95 and SC2K ready to go should I get into a nostalgic mood.

In short, SC4 cannot die. Now the community around it, that's a different matter. It would not be very interesting to update PSC in, say, 2018, and actually be talking to the walls.

Cheers
Willy