• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4D Live Chat

Started by Albus of Garaway, August 09, 2009, 05:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albus of Garaway

Has anyone ever thought about starting a live chat system here at SC4D? I thought it would be a nice thing to have, so that we could all have conversations together, with ideas passing back and forth.

I was just wondering if site Administrators and Moderators have thought about this at all. :)

-Jason

freedo50

It has been considered more than once, but has never been implemented for various reasons (none of which I cna remember  &mmm). Remember that chat systems can often use a lot of resources on busy sites, and Jeronij already pays for much of the site out of his own pocket.

Fred

Albus of Garaway

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure it must cost a fair amount of money to get that up and running. Oh well, it was just a thought. ;)

Fabian93

I really like that idea.  :)
Maybe it would be possible to set up one of those free chats... just for the time being?!

Fabian

Bobbi

I think this is a good idea. But there's a live chat system at Simtropolis. What do you think of?

Bobbi

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

sithlrd98

ST chat is OK, I don't use it much mainly because there is so many conversations going on at once. You always could use MSN or someother set-up...I use it on occasion and its OK...better than PMs

Jayson

Albus of Garaway

I'm not to into the Simtropolis chat. It seems a bit...'spamy' at times, and if I have a legitimate SC4 question, it's hard to get it answered. But that's just my opinion.

I just don't want to bring a burden upon Jeroni and the other Administrators. Maybe an unofficial, free chat service would be an option? If enough people are interested, I'd be happy to start one, and post the link here.

Let me know if you're interested in an "unofficial" chat sort of thing. I'll set one up, and include the link in this thread.

-Jason

io_bg

I like the idea of such chat!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

dragonshardz

I've used ST Chat, and I think it's a little overrated. True, when you do get an answer it's faster that making a post and waiting, but then again you're just as likely to get spam.

The way SC4D works now, if someone is angry they can post later after they have calmed down, but live chat would necessitate immediate response, either by chatting back or ignoring the comment.

For example, user Random Troll says, "I HAET THES SIET AND ITS AROGANCE!!!!!1! HOW DAR U JUST LAAEV ST LIEK TAHT!1ONE?!!!??!!?!!!!!!11!!1!!1!1!1"

In normal forum usage, user SC4D/BSC Loyalist sees this and is annoyed. He doesn't post immediately, but about an hour later posts, "The last time I checked, no one here ever signed an exclusivity contract with ST. As for us leaving, that was a while ago and doesn't really matter anymore. I recommend you come back after you learn to spell correctly and not yell at people."

But in live chat, it would devolve into a flame war and a moderator would have to step in. Many people have been banned from ST because of a comment made in Live Chat that wasn't well thought out.

...no, not me...
Not that live chat is bad, it would just require a moderator/admin to be monitoring it at all times and could open up huge cans of worms.

swat-medic

QuoteI'm not to into the Simtropolis chat. It seems a bit...'spamy' at times, and if I have a legitimate SC4 question, it's hard to get it answered. But that's just my opinion.

Not here to be all "defendy" but its a chat and not a 'support' feature.  A lot of the chat regulars don't even play simcity 4 anymore.  The thing with ST Chat, is it is almost always moderated.  So trolls and spam are rarely a problem for more than a few seconds.

A Sc4D chat could be useful in a sense that all of the information flowing through Sc4D would be able to be moved even faster with the chat.  It would allow faster development and real time support for those who just need a quick answer.  I'm interested to see what the staff comes up with if it is implemented.  :)

Diggis

I'm pretty sure Jeronij has said he won't be implimenting Chat for a variety of reasons.  Mainly it's because it's more of a social tool than a development tool. 

Most of the developers here have the other members of their teams on MSN/Yahoo etc and would be unlikely to use the Chat as it's open and a lot of development is behind closed doors.  This isn't because we like keeping secrets (mostly  ;) ) but because we don't like showing experimental stuff that may not work.

Additionally, as a support tool it falls apart quickly.  You would require someone who knows your answer to be online when you ask it.  At present asking in a post on the forums gives those who know the answer to post at their leisure.

TheTeaCat

When this subject was first raised in this thread

this was Jeronij's reply
Quote from: jeronij on April 29, 2007, 09:27:29 AM
Chat rooms at SC4D:  Not for the moment. I want the members to be able to have the time to think before they say anything  ;) , and also be able to track who and what people post. I have seen enough negative comments about chatrooms, that I dont think they would be really a benefeit for the site.

Gee my memory ain't all that bad seeing as this was over 2 yrs ago now. Must be all the Tea. :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Albus of Garaway

Good memory, Derry. ;)

If you ask me, this chat room would be more for social purposes. Sometimes it's hard to understand what's going on behind the MD, if you know what I mean. Having a live chat room could mean, for example, we now know why a certain MD author hasn't updated lately...he's had a child! It's things like that that could be useful in a chat room.

Now, I'm not demanding we get one, of course. I'm just bringing up the idea, to see if anyone was interested. Again, I could always start an "unofficial" SC4D chat room, if enough people are interested. ;)

-Jason

rooker1

My two cents on this subject.....

I'm very sure jeronij's mind hasn't changed on this subject and to be straight about it, I agree with him entirely.  As for any reason that someone could come up with for wanting one, there are just too many reasons to not have one.  Posting in what ever thread anyone has a question about or contacting the member through MSN will have to continue to be the way to go.
Jason if you want to start an "unofficial chat room" no one can stop you from that, just don't include SC4D in the name.  Maybe you could call it SC4 Chat Room..... ;)
I think this subject should come to an end now.  I'll leave it unlocked until tomorrow to allow a few more responses.

Robin  :)
Call me Robin, please.

Albus of Garaway

Thanks Robin. ;)

I'm just glad I got so many responses, positive and negative. Thanks for your input, everyone! :)

-Jason