• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Should I get the NAM?

Started by Gurning_Chimp, October 07, 2011, 07:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurning_Chimp

I only really want to have the trams and elevated railroad in my cities, I'm not too fussed about making it look 'realistic'. I also have a laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and a fair amount of memory.

What's your advice?

Lowkee33

SimCity without NAM would be like toast without butter.  It goes beyond making you game look more realistic, actually improving greatly on the behavior of traffic. 

MandelSoft

And besides that, it adds a lot of features, like overpasses, roundabouts and extra intersections and interchanges.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Gurning_Chimp

OK, is it easy to install, and how much memory does it take?

MandelSoft

The NAM is not hard to install, but you should pay attention when doing so. Some problems are caused by installing the NAM wrongfully (like installing the Left Hand Drive version of the NAM on a Right Hand Drive game). It's HIGHLY recommended to read the ReadMe first. Especially the DBE (Diagonal Bridge Enabler) causes problems when you didn't read the ReadMe and don't understand why all your water is gone and why you can't build roads on slopes...

The NAM download is about 25MB and fully installed it's 70MB without associated plugins (extra bridges, RHW, NWM, SAM, etc.). So far, I haven't noticed anything with the peformance with and without the NAM installed.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Gurning_Chimp

Right, so I should go for the Left Hand Drive version (I have the UK Edition).

Also, my Sim City 4 game does crash sometimes, does the NAM cause more crashes. (Sorry to ask so many questions, but I've had this game for a year and people keep suggesting NAM, but I'm not really someone who likes to mod games)

Dexter

If installed correctly, the only thing to really watch out for is to make sure you don't hover a Puzzle Piece over a Transit Enabled lot (eg. Smooth rail curve over a station lot) as this is a known game bug that will cause the game to crash.  An easy way around this is place things like stations and toll booths after you have completed the surrounding network.

Happy NAMing :),
-Matt
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Gurning_Chimp

Sweet, I'll give it a go when I get back in (just need to get some phone credit).

Thanks for your help guys!  :thumbsup:

Gurning_Chimp

OK guys just an update, I got the NAM and after playing about with it in one of my Financial Districts, I like it. It certainly makes my city look better and I have started a new region so I could best use NAM