• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciuu96

Actually, I don't have a slope mod currently, I always make my slopes smooth "manually" using the mayor mod tools. ;D Takes a lot of time, though.

But yeah, my point why to get the RHW slope mod was that it modifies only one network, instead of all of them. I tried Ennedi's mod before asking this, but felt that it was too restrictive and stopped using it. Well, one option would be to get the BTM slope mod and modify its properties to fit my style.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Haljackey

Quote from: Ciuu96 on December 04, 2010, 01:15:28 PM
Great interchanges, all!

Sorry to bother, but I can't find the RHW slope mod anywhere, even though I've searched from simtropolis, google, lex and even few other places. Has it been deleted or is it just hidden in some weird location? It just sounds exactly what I need, so getting it would be great. Thanks in advance!

Quote from: BigSlark on December 04, 2010, 01:29:02 PM

I use a custom "Diabolical" version that someone requested and he attached to a post some time ago, it requires intense terraforming for interchanges but the smooth grades look fantastic.

It's no bother at all Ciuu96:)

I'm pretty sure I may be using the same "diabolical" slope mod as Kevin (BigSlark). Alas I can't for the life of me remember who created it either.

Allow me to attach the one I use to this post. If there's enough demand I could ask to get the link added to the sticky post in the RHW thread.

Enjoy!
-Ryan (Haljackey)

Edit: Just stick this in your plugins folder. There's no need to put it into the NAM or RHW subfolders.

noahclem

Haljackey - Thanks for the tip , I think I'll make use of that  :)

Ciuu96 - Different people like different slope mods. I'm really bothered by unrealistic slopes but don't like the way the NHP ones restrict the difference between slopes of adjacent network tiles. My mod of choice is the BRF (big red fish) one found here on the STEX: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=18043

Ciuu96

Thanks a lot, Hal! Sticking it to RHW thread is also an great idea.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Haljackey

Quote from: Ciuu96 on December 04, 2010, 03:39:49 PM
Thanks a lot, Hal! Sticking it to RHW thread is also an great idea.

You're welcome! I'll ask Alex (Tarkus) and see if it can get attached to the RHW thread's sticky post.

Regarding other slope mods, I like to have a network that is unrestricted so I tend to stay away from the all-encompassing slope mods out there. Having a network without a slope mod allows you to "plan out" your network and navigate rough terrain. Then you can use the level terrain tool and hole diggers to smoothen out the land before you place your slope mod-affected networks. The end result produces not only a smooth network, but a complimenting landscape as well.

For example, my standard road network doesn't have a slope mod because by itself it can climb steep slopes quite well compared with default rail or highway. If I want to make a road through a hilly area, I'll lay another network over the route (like RHW-2 or bullet train), bulldoze it, then drag road.

jdenm8

Ya, I used to use the BRF one too.
I now use the Mountainous NHP one, and while it looks excellent, it just irritates the hell out of me.
I just wish I could take the RHW bit out of the NHP mod and put it in the BRF one. (Along with the more sympathetic MHW one)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Haljackey

Getting back on topic, I've now added a basic arterial grid and sound walls around the interchange shown on the last page.

Zoom out:

In this example, I am attempting to demonstrate how even large interchanges can seamlessly interact with the landscapes around them, be it urban or rural. Compare this to how tiny the Maxis junctions are and yet it still blends in with its surrounding environment, making it look more realistic.

interim

Wow, you guys build some really huge, over-the-top interchanges... I've always followed the 'keep it simple' rule, but none of my stuff looks anything like this. Great technical achievements to be certain... Very nice.

jawne001

These are pretty intense! I've never posted anything on this site before, but here is one from me. It very was hard to make because of the compact space it's in. This is a freeway intersecting with a blvd in a suburb right outside of my country's capitol.

Girafe

Haljackey
good work on this intersection  &apls &apls

jawne001

a little bit messy, try to work your slope it's more well looking and realistic but you are in the good way  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

MandelSoft

Speaking about slope mods: the above image could use one though...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

jawne001: Hi there and welcome! That's a really tight exchange that's for sure!

I have to agree with the others. The best thing to do to improve the appearance of the junction is to smoothen out the slopes and/or get a slope mod. It looks like your highway drops about 40 meters in just a few tiles lol.
-Nice use of the diagonal one way road connections. You don't see those too often here.

soulchaser

As Bordertown finally got highways, interchanges are inevitable to be built.

So, I proudly present - call it a teaser - the - as I call it - 'Hell-of-a-T-Interchange'.

The strange design is, because it will be updated to go further straight across the older lower highway.

Didn't get to another design without demolishing more farms...

I'm excited, what the experts will say.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

MandelSoft

I would construct a diamond interchange straight away if I want to save room. Or I would place an avenue roundabout...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jawne001

Girafe, mrtnrln, Haljackey- Thanks for the feedback! Yes I see what you mean, I would hate to have to drive up a slope like that in real life lol. Plus, the industrial zones in the backround look messy as well. I'll have to smooth it out next time I play.

Haljackey

Quote from: soulchaser on December 06, 2010, 12:12:45 PM
The strange design is, because it will be updated to go further strait across the older lower highway.

Didn't get to another design without demolishing more farms...

I'm excited, what the eexperts will say.

I... don't even know how to explain what that is. It doesn't make much sense to me at all due to the DDI piece and the fact that there are 0 ramps from the eastbound RHW. A loss for words... what the heck is that thing?  ()what()

Perhaps I could identify what it is after you complete the junction. Right now it makes no sense.  $%Grinno$%

soulchaser

Going "East" (actually south^^)?

Nothing easier than this  :P

The DDI will be repeated on the other side...when money's there.... ::)

Right now, this is just for low traffic (region is at about 150.000 residents) and the "southern" part is heading to the airport.
And yes, there's no way to get to the airport highway from the roundabout, but why should there be one if there's no highway from the "north" and there's a parallel road towards the south from the roundabout, too. This takes all the upcoming traffic.

Interesting to find Hal speechless :D

Edit: you can imagine, the lights are currently all red on the DDI part^^

Edit2: the strange loop (from the east) is basically because of the lack of diagonal parts with the RHW-4 and the transition to MIS....

Recently Iced

jdenm8

Essentially, to me, it's just a standard DDI with a complex ramp and is only half-built.
That complex ramp is strange though, but I could see it was built within the constraints of the area.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

McDuell

Quote from: soulchaser on December 07, 2010, 03:33:34 PM
Edit2: the strange loop (from the east) is basically because of the lack of diagonal parts with the RHW-4 and the transition to MIS....

For building a diagonal transition from RHW to MIS (and vice versa) you can make use of the OWR2-OWR1 diagonal transition puzzle piece.

1) Lay down the OWR2-OWR1 transition piece and prolong the stubs with OWR. Then, create some rail crossings.

2) Bulldoze the OWR right before the railroad crossing. This leaves you with just the rails.

3) Now bulldoze the leftover rails.

4) The finished transition should look like this.

A quick and dirty example:

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

soulchaser

Ah...I see...thank you very much...

still the problem with diagonal elevated RHW4.....will change to OWR there....

Thanks for the help...will show the results right here^^

Recently Iced