• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Here is an interchange I've created based on the Wellington Road/Highway 401 interchange in my hometown of London, Ontario.

Click for full size.

Pic of it in Google Maps:
-(Air photo is outdated)

And here's a few pictures I took of the junction.

Looking east:

Looking west:

And a zoom-in looking west with a nice camera:
-Click for full size.

Anyways hope you enjoyed it. It's the main junction in my hometown, so this otherwise bland parclo serves some importance.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

Swordmaster

Awesome! Looks like you've nailed it down perfectly (including light tower spacing  ;D ).

el_cozu

Quote from: Haljackey on November 03, 2011, 10:15:44 PM
Here is an interchange I've created based on the Wellington Road/Highway 401 interchange in my hometown of London, Ontario.

Click for full size.

Pic of it in Google Maps:
-(Air photo is outdated)

And here's a few pictures I took of the junction.

Looking east:

Looking west:

And a zoom-in looking west with a nice camera:
-Click for full size.

Anyways hope you enjoyed it. It's the main junction in my hometown, so this otherwise bland parclo serves some importance.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

Hi Hal... i don't know if this happens in your town... but here in mexico, people are kind of cheaters... if the motorway is congested, they use the shoulders to cut some line...  i see here in Hw401 the shoulders are really wide... you can fit another lane without any difficulty... does that happen in canada, USA, germany or any other country that has motorways with wide shoulders?.

Bipin

Very nice parclo Hal, your interchanges are improving quite a bit in realism. The use of the cosmetic pieces for the onramp lane merge is nice. By the way, what ever happened to the London municipal gov. adding the extra ramps for the trumpet interchange to make it a full directional-T west of your parclo?

Haljackey

Quote from: el_cozu on November 04, 2011, 11:29:05 AM

Hi Hal... i don't know if this happens in your town... but here in mexico, people are kind of cheaters... if the motorway is congested, they use the shoulders to cut some line...  i see here in Hw401 the shoulders are really wide... you can fit another lane without any difficulty... does that happen in canada, USA, germany or any other country that has motorways with wide shoulders?.

Not really, but I won't say it never happens. In my experience, I've never seen someone use the left shoulder to overtake someone but I have seen some cars use the right one when there's traffic congestion. Most Canadians are courteous drivers and usually let traffic merge in and keep the left lane available for passing. Needless to say the cause of gridlock is sometimes due to a collision and the shoulder needs to be available for emergency vehicles and tow trucks to access the scene but it has to be the only time it gets backed up.  :P

And yes based on those pictures, you could have 5 travel lanes if you removed the shoulders.

Quote from: Bipin on November 04, 2011, 11:49:11 AM
Very nice parclo Hal, your interchanges are improving quite a bit in realism. The use of the cosmetic pieces for the onramp lane merge is nice. By the way, what ever happened to the London municipal gov. adding the extra ramps for the trumpet interchange to make it a full directional-T west of your parclo?

Thanks! I don't think there was ever a plan to make 401/402 a 3-way interchange as there's no need for it. It will remain a 2-way (partial-y) junction for the foreseeable future.

Bipin

Quote from: Bipin on November 04, 2011, 11:49:11 AM

Thanks! I don't think there was ever a plan to make 401/402 a 3-way interchange as there's no need for it. It will remain a 2-way (partial-y) junction for the foreseeable future.
[/quote]

I heard it was proposed a very long time ago, I guess it got denied.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: el_cozu on November 04, 2011, 11:29:05 AM
but here in mexico, people are kind of cheaters... if the motorway is congested, they use the shoulders to cut some line...  i see here in Hw401 the shoulders are really wide... you can fit another lane without any difficulty... does that happen in canada, USA, germany or any other country that has motorways with wide shoulders?.

You have to keep the following things in mind about most hard shoulders:

- They're intended for emergency pull-overs, and sometimes for emergency vehicles that need to get through a traffic jam. If the shoulder were converted into a travel lane and your car breaks down, where are you going to pull over?
- They're usually narrower than a traffic lane; It ain't ideal for wider vehicles.
- They're not as thick as a full travel lane; If people used the shoulder as a travel lane, it would quickly degrade.
- It's sometimes full of debris, so it's generally unsafe to drive on a shoulder in any case.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

In the Netherlands (and I believe in Belgium and Germany too), some stretches of freeway have peak lanes. This means that the outer shoulder lane is converted to a driveable lane during rush hour. This however requires a certain width of the outer shoulder lane, additional emergency stop points and dynamic signalisation (showing that the peak lane is open):

Often this is used when adding an regular additional lane would be too expensive, hard to realise or just juridically challenging.

Current location of peak- and plus lanes in the Netherlands:

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mike3775

There has been talk by local politicians where I live, in turning the left lane shoulder on I-94 into a 4th lane in Porter and LaPorte Counties in Indiana during rush hour(5am-8am and 4pm-7pm) since they widened it 4 lanes in each direction basically from I-65 West to the Illinois border(which Illinois also added a 4th lane and cleaned up the Torrence Ave interchange as well as the I-94,I-294, I-80 merge/split headaches) and now they want to add a 4th lane all the way to Michigan without spending any money on it, by turning the left shoulder into a lane, but I highly doubt that will ever go any further than just talking.

Swordmaster

Quote from: mrtnrln on November 05, 2011, 02:27:58 PM
In the Netherlands (and I believe in Belgium and Germany too), some stretches of freeway have peak lanes.

Yes, we have one - but only since last month - on part of the terribly congested E313.

bthersh

I-66 in Northern Virginia (near Washington DC) also has shoulders that are opened to traffic in rush hour...

pierrebaptiste

Quote from: mrtnrln on November 05, 2011, 02:27:58 PM
In the Netherlands (and I believe in Belgium and Germany too), some stretches of freeway have peak lanes. This means that the outer shoulder lane is converted to a driveable lane during rush hour. This however requires a certain width of the outer shoulder lane, additional emergency stop points and dynamic signalisation (showing that the peak lane is open):

Often this is used when adding an regular additional lane would be too expensive, hard to realise or just juridically challenging.

Current location of peak- and plus lanes in the Netherlands:

Best,
Maarten

This system exist in France on the Motorway A86/A4 (common tronc) in Paris : http://maps.google.fr/maps?hl=fr&ll=48.822152,2.462794&spn=0.001914,0.013078&t=k&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=48.821498,2.462238&panoid=jrXfgFtj35RvHc7z4vvvdA&cbp=11,56.31,,0,0.59

It the motorway section more overloaded in europe with 285 000 vehicle per day! In normal time there is only 2x4 ways in each direction . But when it's the rush hour there is 2x5 ways . The emergency way become a way for the trafic .

But this system is outdated because there is regulary vandalism act, and thiefs steal electric equipment.  :thumbsdown:

DAB_City

These all look great! Maybe I really should post some of my intersections here...

I think that this is a suitable point for me to say R.I.P. to all the victims of the tragic M5 catastrophe on Friday. My thoughts are with all those affected by this horrible accident. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-15603124
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Elydion

going back to intersections:P

I'm really into diverging interchanges.
This is my newest creation, my "Grade separated Diamond Diverging Interchange"
Please feel free to come up with a shorter,better name than GSDDI:D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ely

Risu

Great landscaping! It's nice to see someone building on non-level land for a change. ;)

00V00

Couldn't use smooth curves throughout with this one unfortunately but still happy with the result:

Close up on part of the interchange:

Another interchange:

Compact 3-way:

Another major interchange in my region:

A diagonal interchange:

This one's a bit irregular:

My take on a multi-RHW setup between two intersections:

Working with different elevations just before a bridge:

Next two are part of one stretch of highway:

Finally, one with a bit of an irregular shape due to space constraints:

art128

I like the last one a lot! good job! :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jaris

Wow! I love the irregular shape of the last one.  :)
I like all of them, and they just look really smooth.
But the last on of those is my favourite.

Good work 00V00!!

io_bg

Wow! *saves most of the pics to use as an inspiration source later on* ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Risu

Quote from: io_bg on November 06, 2011, 01:16:04 PMWow! *saves most of the pics to use as an inspiration source later on* ;D
Me too ^.^"