• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatron

Looks good, but I would have put a Roundabout instead of the central intersection because from a driver's perspective, crossroads should be avoided as they slow you down to much. I mean if you had been driving 180kph and have to stop then, it's rather unpleasant ;)

mike3775

Quote from: Flatron on June 04, 2012, 04:25:48 AM
Looks good, but I would have put a Roundabout instead of the central intersection because from a driver's perspective, crossroads should be avoided as they slow you down to much. I mean if you had been driving 180kph and have to stop then, it's rather unpleasant ;)

Go to google maps, and type in Indian Boundary Road + State Road 49, and zoom in on the interchange between I94 and Indian Boundary Rd(just north of the intersection) and notice how INDOT decided to put a sharp turn on the off ramp to slow down traffic from I-94 going onto SR 49 in the area, because right across a bridge is a traffic light that halts traffic. 

That intersection has been slated to be converted into an overpass interchange for the past 30 years or so, yet for some reason nothing has ever been done, and now the development around has made it virtually impossible to put in an interchange there.  That intersection is one of the worst in the area and the funny thing is, it has only had a traffic signal for 20 yrs, and no matter how INDOT times the lights, traffic is a nightmare all day every day at that intersection.  The main problem is the deceleration lane from 94 heading southbound ends just prior to the bridge over the railroad tracks, then the right turn lane starts on the other side of the bridge, an easy solution(but to expensive according to the morons at INDOT) would be to widen the bridge and make the decleration/right turn lane be continuous and also lengthen the East bound lane from 49 Northbound to 94 Eastbound.  Basically INDOT has made that intersection worse over the years while trying to make it better.  I always loathe having to go through that area every day because of that interchange.  Many times I will simply take the Porter Ave(CR 1200N) to 250E and head North to Brummit Road and take that North to US 20 and then jump back on 49 to go to the Indiana Dunes.  It is a little farther, but its also safer having to avoid the dodging vehicles trying to get on/off 94.

Basically this post is agreeing with you, having to slow down for a red light right after getting off a highway is a PITA big time, especially when the intersection is screwed up royally with no thought to traffic capabilities.

Haljackey

Update the pics I posted on the last page.

Click for full resolution

I rebuilt the area, which includes a nicely sloped half-diamond interchange.

Zoom out:

Quote from: Flatron on June 03, 2012, 03:12:19 PM
Why no tunnel instead of these ugly roads on the mountaintop?

Well I certainly don't hope the roads are ugly... I'll do what I can to make em look better.

While this area is hilly, it doesn't warrant the need for a tunnel in my mind. I do have tunnels running through some of the more mountainous parts however.
-In addition, this area is prime for development. The rolling terrain is suitable for some development and R and C zones love high locations as it increases their demand and desirability.

mike3775

seems like an awful lot of traffic lights in such a short span of time Hal.  I really like the redone Avenue though

dragonshardz

Nnnghn. My head hurts now. This was hard to make.

art128

Quote from: dragonshardz on June 04, 2012, 11:33:08 PM
Nnnghn. My head hurts now. This was hard to make.

Somewhat, ir remembers me RollerCoaster Tycoon. :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

Quote from: art128 on June 04, 2012, 11:35:09 PM

Little-known fact: the RHW Modular Interchange System was partly inspired by the custom ride build mode in RollerCoaster Tycoon.

-Alex

Indiana Joe

That would explain why I'm a SC4 road geek.  I loved RCT!

There aren't plans on doing a vertical loop piece, are there?  :D

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on June 05, 2012, 05:15:57 PM
Quote from: art128 on June 04, 2012, 11:35:09 PM

Little-known fact: the RHW Modular Interchange System was partly inspired by the custom ride build mode in RollerCoaster Tycoon.

-Alex

Huh, never knew that.

Anyways small update. Click images for full size.

I just turned this

into this

...Although I had to ditch a pair of smooth MIS curves for the widening.  &mmm

sc-4

Hal , I'm sorry  but this isn't the right place , here you post intersections made in SC4 not in real life !  :D  :thumbsup: &apls

Call me Ludo

Wiimeiser

Quote from: Haljackey on June 05, 2012, 10:31:54 PM
...Although I had to ditch a pair of smooth MIS curves for the widening.  &mmm
Which is why we should have starterless/starter-enabled everything like the curved MIS Ramps, or just Flex it all.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

freshballin365

Here are several pictures of interchanges from my recreation of Greater Los Angeles. If any of you are familiar with the San Fernando Valley area in L.A.,the first and second photos feature the intersection between the 101 Frwy & Van Nuys Blvd, the third - 405 Frwy. & Burbank Blvd., and the last three of the 405 and 101 Frwy. interchange. As you can see, the city isn't built up yet and two connections of the  latter interchange aren't completed. Once my RL-imposed break passes over, I'll show some images with more development and traffic. Hope y'all enjoy them. :)

101 Frwy. & Van Nuys Blvd.

405 Frwy. & Burbank Blvd.

405 Frwy. & 101. Frwy.

kassarc16

Quote from: freshballin365 on June 06, 2012, 05:42:28 PM
Here are several pictures of interchanges from my recreation of Greater Los Angeles. If any of you are familiar with the San Fernando Valley area in L.A.,the first and second photos feature the intersection between the 101 Frwy & Van Nuys Blvd, the third - 405 Frwy. & Burbank Blvd., and the last three of the 405 and 101 Frwy. interchange. As you can see, the city isn't built up yet and two connections of the  latter interchange aren't completed. Once my RL-imposed break passes over, I'll show some images with more development and traffic. Hope y'all enjoy them. :)

Those are some pretty snazzy interchanges there! Love the trick you did with the ELRHW6 standing in for AVE6.

mike3775

freshballin365, great job on those interchanges.  Looking at them, I can tell it took you a long time to get them just right   :thumbsup:

WannGLondon

I actually am from LA and I am familiar with all of these interchanges/exits and what not. Very cool recreation, you've done a great job.  :thumbsup:
Call me Warren.

Haljackey

Very nice freshballin365! I really like the Burbank junction! That must have taken a lot of time to study and build.

As you may or may not have known, I have started to make 'highway widening' videos on my Youtube channel. They're not tutorials, but rather just clips showing how I make my highways and interchanges.

In my most recent video, I undertook widening a highway in a dense environment which also descends from a hill. Here is a 'before' mosaic.

Believe it or not, click for full resolution!

...And here is the widened highway. Again, click for full size.

Other points of interest.

The main interchange before and after:

Before:

After:

Hilly junction:

Widened RHW overpass

To see the process of how I widened the highway check out the video (polishing features came later).

http://www.youtube.com/v/1q87fnULmpE

http://www.youtube.com/v/1q87fnULmpE

Anyways hope you enjoyed it!
-Ryan (Haljackey)

Ramona Brie

Quote from: kassarc16 on June 06, 2012, 11:10:48 PM

Those are some pretty snazzy interchanges there! Love the trick you did with the ELRHW6 standing in for AVE6.

I've done that, but watch out when you have MIS ramps and a TLA-7: some left turns might not be permissible if the transition is adjacent to the ramp intersection. (I learned this the hard way.)

Haljackey

I've only built one Maxis Highway since 2010. I'd like to show it's evolution over time, reacting to nearby growth.

Click images for full size.

Initial construction

Upgrade to east-west highway

Overpass added

Nearby growth

Road widened to avenue

Additional ramps constructed, making it a 'half-diamond' interchange.

Additional ramps constructed, making it a 'three-quarter diamond' interchange. This is the current setup.

As you can see, traffic and development have built up over time, and I've had to react accordingly to accommodate this growth.

This may very well have been the last Maxis Highway I built. Not sure if I should feel happy or sad. The RHW has come a long way, but I'm not sure if I can say good bye to a network I have used for nearly 10 years. :P

mike3775

Quote from: Haljackey on June 12, 2012, 03:10:04 PMThe RHW has come a long way, but I'm not sure if I can say good bye to a network I have used for nearly 10 years. :P

I hear ya.  I still use MHW in mountainous area's where tunnels would be better than trying to drag a RHW over the area.

Tarkus

Haven't built one since 2007 . . . I phased out my last one when RHW 2.0 (released Jan. 1, 2008) was still in development (as you can see the whole area around it was torn up in preparation):

That's a blast from the past.  Didn't use a slope mod back then, either.

-Alex