• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

I'm not talking about the MIS part, but about the avenue part. That one does have an earth slope...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

M4346

Quote from: FrankU on January 02, 2013, 06:34:57 AM
The disadvantage of this construction is that it is not realistic, in my opinion. In real life, at least in Dutch real life, the up and down ramps would be not bridges, but on earthen slopes (how do I say this in correct english?), because slopes made with ground material are much cheaper than made as bridges.

I agree that it is not realistic, or at least, not here in South Africa. I guess mainly because we had a lot of space when we laid down our major highways and, as you point out, bridge building is expensive.

Our interchanges run on "earth slopes", this is true even in "tighter" and more developed urban areas where the highway network and its interchanges are expanded.

Two such examples are the N1 Lynnwood (here) and Atterbury (here) interchanges in Pretoria East.

During a recent upgrade of the N1 John Vorster interchange they even hauled in vast amounts of dirt to build a mound for the on-ramp (in the the lower lane in this map) to cross the new off-ramp into Witchhazel Street, instead of building a concrete structure.

It becomes a little tricky, if not near impossible, to recreate this convincingly and realistically with real life kind of precision in SC4.

The closest I can get, without fiddling too much with intricate terraforming, is this:

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Swordmaster

Quote from: M4346 on January 01, 2013, 02:28:45 PM
I quite like the end result and have officially fallen in love with the RHW!  ;D

Welcome to the wonderful world of the RHW. It looks like you won't take long to master it completely! Very nice work. Starting with this kind of interchanges is probably the best way to get going.

There's a lot of good tips in the RHW interchange board, particularly with regards to the on-slope connection difficulty you mentioned, here. The way Haljackey dealt with it there is to have a very gentle slope, and connect somewhere towards the end of it. You can also let the MIS climb a bit of the slope upwards towards the avenue, which is quite common at least here in our part of the world.

Cheers
Willy

MandelSoft

Quote from: M4346 on January 02, 2013, 08:08:15 AM
The closest I can get, without fiddling too much with intricate terraforming, is this:

--- IMAGE ---

And this is exactly what I meant :thumbsup:

(By the way, I see that you're using a really, REALLY old version of the LRM. You can upgrade to version 5.0 on the STEX ;) )
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

@M4346 I think you know what your doing at this point. I have seen worse drops then that in real-life. There is plenty of room for a semi to stop before the signal, without really slamming on the breaks before the slope. There should be plenty of time to get up the hill without the semi's having to excessively accelerate dangerously before the signal. It's bad enough in the US, I have had to see cars scramble out of the way, as the semi has to speed up before the light, in order to make it up a steep grade. Now, you mentioned TuLEP use. I don't know how severe they will change the slope, or if they will at all, should they alter the slope, you may have to extend land use to the right, if you were going to add a turn lane in the middle of that avenue. Maybe I have seen them safely constructed over the hills, but now, I'm not sure. Slip lanes however, shouldn't require too much tile extension.

sim_link

Nice work, M4346. :) I like the smoothness of all the curves - and the symmetry.

M4346

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 02, 2013, 08:18:10 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of the RHW. It looks like you won't take long to master it completely! Very nice work. Starting with this kind of interchanges is probably the best way to get going.

There's a lot of good tips in the RHW interchange board, particularly with regards to the on-slope connection difficulty you mentioned, here.

Thanks Willy, I'm having fun indeed! I did discover the amazing resource that is the RHW interchange board and all its useful hints and tips!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: MandelSoft on January 02, 2013, 10:17:03 AM
(By the way, I see that you're using a really, REALLY old version of the LRM. You can upgrade to version 5.0 on the STEX ;) )

Whoa! My LRM dated to March 2008!  ??? Thanks for pointing that out! I swiftly replaced it with the LRM UK v5.0.3. I also made sure I had the most recent version(s) of the all the Euro retexture work you did.

Thanks for all your great efforts in this regard as well as with the LRM! I love it all!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: j-dub on January 02, 2013, 10:18:29 AM
@M4346 I think you know what your doing at this point. I have seen worse drops then that in real-life. There is plenty of room for a semi to stop before the signal, without really slamming on the breaks before the slope. There should be plenty of time to get up the hill without the semi's having to excessively accelerate dangerously before the signal. It's bad enough in the US, I have had to see cars scramble out of the way, as the semi has to speed up before the light, in order to make it up a steep grade. Now, you mentioned TuLEP use. I don't know how severe they will change the slope, or if they will at all, should they alter the slope, you may have to extend land use to the right, if you were going to add a turn lane in the middle of that avenue. Maybe I have seen them safely constructed over the hills, but now, I'm not sure. Slip lanes however, shouldn't require too much tile extension.

Thanks for the feedback and comment! The other reason I've found highways and interchanges complicated and intricate is that I don't drive myself - preferring public transport as I pointed out to David here over at 3RR. So it's always interesting and informative to get input from people who actually have to negotiate interchanges and to consider the "physics" of it all!  ;D

Quote from: sim_link on January 02, 2013, 10:51:39 AM
Nice work, M4346. :) I like the smoothness of all the curves - and the symmetry.

Thanks!  ;D I have to admit that I'm a little OCD about symmetry, matching and smooth curves. The perfectionist in me...  ()stsfd()

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

DJSun1981

spot

Kergelen

Nice one spot. I like the diagonal under straight RHW.

Links to SC4 websites

figui

nice one there!
btw: which road signs are those?
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

spot

Quote from: figui on January 25, 2013, 01:04:26 PM
nice one there!
btw: which road signs are those?
Type RHW in Simtropolis and you will find them. Im not sure the exact name.

sunv123

Now that is sweet! Great job, spot! :thumbsup:
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

sunv123

I think that I should show one, just for fun. ;)

Using collector and Distributor setup, this interchange popped up.

spot

Nice one. Is it every directional?

sunv123

Sadly, no. :( Still thinking up designs for that type. ;)

titanicbuff

I have struck an iceberg and Sank
Titanicbuff
Visit my website at: http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/
RTMT Team Member
NAM Associate

eggman121

Wow very nice interchanges everybody!!! :thumbsup: Here I one of my own that I made a while ago.

Hope to see some more great interchanges soon!

pieman101

check this out

[/img]

Derrrrrrrrrrrp!!!!!!!!!!!  i post cuz i want to