• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Cool detour, beebs.

I haven't gotten into the MIS/RHW world really deeply yet, but doesn't the RHW-2 have an exit/entrance ramp?  You could replace the stretch of two-lane road under the bridge with RHW-2 and stagger the ramps (I don't recall seeing anything yet where the ramps diverge symmetrically on each side from RHW-2).  Of course, I may just be dreaming about what I want.  Also, alas, we're not quite yet to where RHW can cross over RHW on a bridge, so whatever you do it'll still be a bit kludgy for a while.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

beebs

Aha, you're a genius.. I can use the RHW-2 to join up the MIS pieces and come together to make just a single intersection on the road. Not quite what I was hoping for, but still looks pretty good. ;) I also played around and discovered that the RHW-2 will connect seamlessly with roads.. so I can keep the interchange setup I have at the moment and switch to the RHW for the secondary highway! Oh happy days! ;D

schm0

Quote from: thundercrack83 on January 26, 2008, 11:12:15 AM
Interesting use of the on-slopes pieces, schm0. It does give the walls on the sunken highway a more gradual grade. I'm curious to see how you'd connect on ramps, though! Keep up the good work, my friend!

I plan on making a sunken RHW with a three-tile wide barrier on either side to test it out... getting the slopes to look just right is very difficult, though. Without making my own slope mod (which I've thought about doing) I don't think there's an easier way. I'm thinking of making something similar to this, which I found in one of Mulefisk's posts.

I am also thinking about contacting Tarkus to see if it's possible to implement some sloped MIS-looking exit ramps with a sheer wall on one side, so that I can place it directly next to an existing parallel network. The RHW and NAM teams have talked about revamping the Maxis highways, which I really think would help make the NAM complete. A MIS exit ramp module for the Maxis highways would be the ultimate dream for me! :)

I would love to eventually acheive something like this:

Look like the RHW exit ramp to you? :)

It's this kind of connection to an existing network that I'm looking for.

Here's an overall shot. This is from I-696, a local highway here in the Metro Detroit area. It's probably the fastest stretch of highway in all of metro or urban Detroit, and it's sunken, which I love. 20-30 foot walls line the sides until it pulls out of the more dense areas of the city. Eventually, it turns into something similar to the RHW-6, but it has 5 lanes on each side. :)

If I could realistically recreate that exit ramp, my life would be complete.
schm0

dedgren

schm0!  Wh0a!

You're a Transit G0d!

Wh0 knew?

This place is s0 great!

david
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

schm0: I think I understand what you're trying to do! I agree with you, too, if a way can be found to make exit ramps for sunken RHW highways, I will be a very happy person! That might actually be the only thing that's stopping me from going 100% RHW in my cities.

schm0

Quote from: dedgren on January 26, 2008, 05:41:12 PM
schm0!  Wh0a!

You're a Transit G0d!

Wh0 knew?

This place is s0 great!

david

W0ah...:)

...all I did was suggest a few ideas and show what it would look like with two tiles on either side of a highway. Credit needs to be given to the NAM team, the RHW team, and most definately ebina and Warrior for their recent developments. Hopefully, Tarkus and the rest of the NAM team are looking to include such techniques in the next version. I haven't even begun developing anything... but hopefully that will soon change.

I'm excited that the texture glitch has been solved in some puzzle pieces, but to do it for all of them would be fantastic. I'll see if there's something I can throw together, but I'll warn everyone beforehand, this is not my forte.

Anyone know where I can find the textures for the RHW MIS exits?

schm0

Tarkus

Well, the ramp textures are all in the RuralHighwayMod.dat file, and they can be extracted fairly easily with SC4Tool.  I have the non-broken up ones sitting in around as well, though James (rickmastfan67) is re-working all of my prototypes so they match up better with his fine texture set.  I'm thinking of how best we could implement this sort of thing--it's possible that we could T21 a jersey barrier onto the outside shoulder of the RHW-8S. (That's one way to make an RHW look urban ;)). It can also be "wealth-enabled", such that it will appear when retaining walls are plopped, though you could also have the jersey barrier included in the retaining wall lot as well.

Is there a grade separation between the mainline and (what appears to be) the C/D lanes?  We've had some requests to do a version of Ramp Style A that would have the MIS ramp starting another tile out away from the mainline, and that's something that could be implemented here for that purpose.

-Alex (Tarkus)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: dedgren on January 26, 2008, 12:37:52 PM
I haven't gotten into the MIS/RHW world really deeply yet, but doesn't the RHW-2 have an exit/entrance ramp?

Only with the MIS Splitter piece so far.

However, I do plan on getting default RHW-2 MIS Off/On ramps completed and ready for v21. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

ebina

Quote from: Andreas on January 25, 2008, 07:16:07 AM
@ebina: That looks a whole lot better indeed! I'd say the mod should be integrated into the NAM, both the standard Maxis intersections and the NAM ones. :)
I think so, too. I have edited about 1,000 S3D files. About 700 of those are from the NAM, integrating this to the NAM would be better to avoid a complication.

schm0

Quote from: Tarkus on January 26, 2008, 09:10:20 PM
Well, the ramp textures are all in the RuralHighwayMod.dat file, and they can be extracted fairly easily with SC4Tool.  I have the non-broken up ones sitting in around as well, though James (rickmastfan67) is re-working all of my prototypes so they match up better with his fine texture set.  I'm thinking of how best we could implement this sort of thing--it's possible that we could T21 a jersey barrier onto the outside shoulder of the RHW-8S. (That's one way to make an RHW look urban ;)). It can also be "wealth-enabled", such that it will appear when retaining walls are plopped, though you could also have the jersey barrier included in the retaining wall lot as well.

On the outside shoulder of the RHW-8S? Or the inside shoulder between the two opposing sides?

Is James the one responsible for tidying up the pieces graphically in all previous versions?

And Tarkus: the main question I really had was if it was possible to create a ploppable lot that is ramped and transit enabled, so that not only will it carry traffic off the RHW and onto a parallel network, but also appear in such a way?
Is there a grade separation between the mainline and (what appears to be) the C/D lanes?  We've had some requests to do a version of Ramp Style A that would have the MIS ramp starting another tile out away from the mainline, and that's something that could be implemented here for that purpose.

-Alex (Tarkus)
Yes. The ramp exits to the left, and slowly inclines to the adjoining service drive. Well, "service drive" is what we call them here in Michigan.

The pictures I posted previously, being overhead shots, do not give the retaining walls of this highway justice... from the side it kinda looks like this:

The ramp itself looks something like this:

(In this picture, the actual ramp is partially obscured, but the ramp on the left is what I'm aiming for. I searched for about 30 minutes before finding a picture of what I am trying to achieve.)
Something similar to this can be found on the STEX (but these can only be flat), or perhaps an opposite version of Marrast's M-Tel lots (going upwards instead of downwards.) What I'm thinking of will most certainly need to be BATed (because it's sloped, not flat) and I don't even know how you'd begin to get cars to appear on the top of it... *sigh*

Does that clear it up?
schm0

Shiftred

Here are the images from my file on the stex schmO has been linking to. (I am Bluepelican31 on Simtropolis). :satisfied:

ebina

Today's is not the Overpass Update Mod. Darkened the avenue curve piece's textures in same way.

Shadow Assassin

ebina: it's possible that I'll redo those avenue curve pieces so they look better and are of a consistent width. It shouldn't take me too long to do.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

xannepan

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on January 28, 2008, 06:49:36 AM
ebina: it's possible that I'll redo those avenue curve pieces so they look better and are of a consistent width. It shouldn't take me too long to do.

Great work what I see here!  &apls  &apls One small request: is it possible with to create the curved (avenue/road) pieces in such way that a roundabout can be created with them (connecting to normal road/avenues at 4 corners where the 4 curved pieces (rotated) come together?)

ebina

Shadow Assassin: OK. I'll keep this one for my own use until your new one came out.

Shadow Assassin

It should be alright for you to release the new darkened pieces, because RL is kind of getting in the way here - which means that it'll probably be a while [even though it'd take me half an hour to do both textures].
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

sffc

I am creating alternate textures for the road roundabouts, with the only difference being that I remove the crosswalks, as they make the roundabouts look "boxy."  I have attained the IDs of four of the transit network entries.  However, there are several IDs which I cannot find.

Here are the textures that I have replaced (I may improve them a bit more):

And here are the ones that I need the IDs for:

Thank you in advance.

Edit: You can not hotlink images from some sites ;)  -jeronij-

RebaLynnTS

Pictures did not show up for me.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Pat

neither for me siiiiiiigh...

ok here we go i gotten them figured out....

converted to JPG and uploaded to imageshack ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

RebaLynnTS

Thanks pat ... Looking good, sffc.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat