• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

figui

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Ciuu96

I feel like i am hijacking this thread with my own creations or something, anyways decided to post this.

When you are bored, you'll do anything:

The rails look weird, my texture making skills aren't really great (copy&paste + some gimp stuff) ;D
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

io_bg

Looks pretty good I've to say although I think it would look more natural if the rails were sharing the middle 2 lanes with the avenue ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

rushman5

I like this method better. It might not be realistic (i mean, replicated in the real world as much) but it should be.  It doesn't let the light rail (which is based off passengers and stations, not parking lots and driveways) become isolated from the area. 

I've learned in lecture that if planners put the light rail on the outside of the roads, they become more connected with the retail corridors that are often used or considered for light rail use in the first place.  Just my thought.

And, io_bg, isn't the sharing of the middle 2 lanes already implemented with rail in road? I mean not really, but I would like to see this method first.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Ciuu96 on October 03, 2010, 12:19:03 PM
I feel like i am hijacking this thread with my own creations or something, anyways decided to post this.

When you are bored, you'll do anything:

It looks like an inside-out Light-Rail in Avenue piece... In that case, I'd like to see a real-life example of that, so that there'd be some semblance of practicality.

Plus it'd be better if the inner lanes were shared with the GLR, like what io_bg said. (iMight just generate a texture for that... I've gotten well adept at that...)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Nego

Well, I personally like Ciuu96's idea, mainly because we already have a setup where the rails are shared with the inner lanes. I like it so much so, that I've created an American version of the puzzle piece texture:

What do you guys think?

jdenm8

Well, first criticism, there's a couple real issue with having them there, the radii of the curves have to be wide, blowing out the size of intersections beyond the actual road footprint. That's why many RL tram systems are in the middle of the road.

At traffic lights, almost every movement of trams require their own light cycle, independent of road traffic.

But the biggest one:
Trams are sharing space with pedestrians which is usually a BIG Public Liability no-no.
Rail vehicles and cars don't mix.
Rail vehicles and Pedestrians don't mix (for the lack of a better word) more.
It's also a well-established fact that pedestrians in RL don't look where they're going.\

EDIT: Another one, when deconverting to the existing Tram-In-Avenue, there will have to be some kind of traffic control, to stop cars/busses while trams are crossing into the median.

Just my (counts) 4 (revised) 5 cents.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

hello Alex
whether it is possible to design Avenue that is with 3-4 lanes in each direction as the middle not with asphalt but with a standard maxis Avenue division.
My other idea is whether you can make pieces intersections of size 3x3 and 4x4 to be used when crossing larger Avenues and wide one-way streets
%confuso %confuso %confuso

jdenm8

Well, things along these lines are in development, AVE-6 is confirmed for eventual release as a three-tile network I believe, but I believe AVE-8 is not on the cards. Tarkus will be able to elaborate though.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Andreas

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 03, 2010, 08:32:56 PM
But the biggest one:
Trams are sharing space with pedestrians which is usually a BIG Public Liability no-no.
Rail vehicles and cars don't mix.
Rail vehicles and Pedestrians don't mix (for the lack of a better word) more.
It's also a well-established fact that pedestrians in RL don't look where they're going.

Well, as usual, everything is a bit different in Europe, where trams through pedmalls and right though the middle of a city - on top of the road - are common. Naturally, separated tracks are a lot better for the traffic flow, but trams and pedestrians actually mix pretty well, like in Mannheim/Germany, where you can find a pedmall system that covers the whole city center - and the tram goes right through it, allowing customers to arrive and depart by tram wherever they want, instead of walking long distances.

Andreas

nekseb

I also confirm Andreas post.

Here are some pictures from Darmstadt, where the traffic-center is in the middle of the city (see attachment).

I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

io_bg

I agree with the above posts that trams on pedestrian streets are quite common in Europe (in Bulgaria, too).

Quote from: ivo_su on October 04, 2010, 02:48:02 AM
hello Alex
whether it is possible to design Avenue that is with 3-4 lanes in each direction as the middle not with asphalt but with a standard maxis Avenue division.
My other idea is whether you can make pieces intersections of size 3x3 and 4x4 to be used when crossing larger Avenues and wide one-way streets
%confuso %confuso %confuso

AVE6/8 would be pretty cool. So would be those intersections (when using wider one-way streets as avenues with a median).
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Ciuu96

Glad that you guys like the idea! :) Nego's american texture also looks great!

Just a (offtopic?) question: Are there any tutorials on making puzzle pieces? I mean, i might do more of those textures, just experiementing with this idea (and maybe with other stuff too), and i would like to try things in the game too. I am a real beginner in modding, i haven't ever done anything even related to modding, but still would like to start from somewhere.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

MandelSoft

^^ Yes, they are. In fact, I've one quite finished on the Private Boards! It's quite ready for the public, but I need permission to move the tutorial over to the public NAM Tutorial section...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

rushman5

Andreas,

We in America aren't too different.  Here in Baltimore our light rail light (albeit out only line) shares the sidewalk with pedestrians for about 3/4 of its downtown traverse on Howard Street.

I feel that this type of network has sooo many working pieces that it might need to be on another tab icon rotation

travismking

I live in Bmore too, and Ive never seen the lightrail run on pedestrian streets, shares with howard street for sure, but not a pedestrian route, and if it is, People are more than likely not allowed to cross the tracks at all :) American lawyers would have a field day if someone ever got hit trying to cross the tracks in those german pictures, this is why you wouldnt often see this in the US.

But, we should prolly get this thread on topic, I would LOVE to see more pedestrian enable GLR pieces, as we only have the  straight pieces now, they only problem is all the pedmall variations would need their own textures, and that would be a ton of menu pieces/tab rings (dual networks cant be draggable right?)

MandelSoft

In the city center of Amsterdam, lightrail are running right through pedestrian zones quite often. In the Hauge this happens in less occasions, but still there are some places where pedestrians and trams have to share space...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

Tram speed in pedmalls is restricted to 25 kph (15 mph) or similar, so collisions are hardly serious, and usually there should be enough time for the driver to stop the tram, or for people crossing the tracks with moderate risk. I figure it's just a matter of what people are used to, like driving through a roundabout (probably still a mystery to many Americans) or using a center turning lane ("suicide lane", probably something Europeans would never dare).

Heh, now if that wasn't a smart turn back to the original topic... ;)
Andreas

Nexis4Jersey

I would like to see something like this in the Next NWM

or this

or this

So i can recreate the Northeastern Region better...

travismking

I still cant figure out why people here think its so hard to use roundabouts ... and actually recently in the US (at least where I live) Ive been seeing a lot more of them being built, especially in rural areas. We do have a ton of "suicide Lanes" too, I live off a road with one

Also, nexis, wats the difference between this and a tram-ave or tram-road? I dont really see any differences