• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jondor

Quote from: gooper1 on February 01, 2011, 01:15:29 PM
By the way, the second instance does not involve a TLA-3, it involves a Road with TuLEPs ending at a street.

Try clicking your way down the street in google maps.  I've driven down that part of Century.  It's a TLA-3.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

gooper1

Quote from: jondor on February 01, 2011, 02:01:55 PM
Try clicking your way down the street in google maps.  I've driven down that part of Century.  It's a TLA-3.
Tried that. At that intersection (at least), it's a Road with TuLEPs.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

Tarkus

Quote from: gooper1 on February 01, 2011, 02:12:57 PM

The Road TuLEPs are designed to also be used as TLA-3 TuLEPs . . . and AVE-2 TuLEPs and ARD-3 TuLEPs--just a different transition gets used.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Tarkus on February 01, 2011, 02:36:49 PM
The Road TuLEPs are designed to also be used as TLA-3 TuLEPs . . . [J]ust a different transition gets used.

@gooper1: Also, those pieces are at the end of the TuLEP tab ring, just so you know.

Quote from: gooper1 on February 01, 2011, 01:15:29 PM
By the way, the second instance does not involve a TLA-3, it involves a Road with TuLEPs ending at a street.

I've been thinking about that today...

ARD-3, anybody?

(Still lacks stop points and T21s. The paths still need to be perfected... This is something I've been experimenting with last weekend.)

The ARD-3, as I have it set up here, could be used to mimic a turn-lane interface. Not unless a street-interfacing SIP gets made first...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jondor

Quote from: gooper1 on February 01, 2011, 02:12:57 PM

Also notice that Century IS in fact 3 lanes all the way down.  Admittedly with an extra long gap where the turn lane starts.

In any case, it's a silly argument. There's no need to complain about one little texture that personally rubs you the wrong way.  Just don't use it.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on February 01, 2011, 03:00:17 PM
I've been thinking about that today...

ARD-3, anybody?

Looking good!  :thumbsup:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

j-dub

Quote(Still lacks stop points and T21s. The paths still need to be perfected... This is something I've been experimenting with last weekend.)

Well which way would the stop signs face in this setup? Road stopping for street or street stopping for road, or just use an all-way stop?

I have no preference, but I was just wondering since stop signs on 3 lane SC4 roads are virtually non-existant, except when you take a TLA-3 and make a junction with an RHW-2, the RHW has the right away, and the only time I noticed where roads have stop signs instead of signals, which does give a good alternative for realism.

Ramona Brie

Quote from: j-dub on February 01, 2011, 03:27:50 PM
Well which way would the stop signs face in this setup? Road stopping for street or street stopping for road, or just use an all-way stop?

I have no preference, but I was just wondering since stop signs on 3 lane SC4 roads are virtually non-existant, except when you take a TLA-3 and make a junction with an RHW-2, the RHW has the right away, and the only time I noticed where roads have stop signs instead of signals, which does give a good alternative for realism.

I think an all-way stop is needed.

Tarkus

Ganaram, fine work here--those paths look excellent. :thumbsup:

Quote from: j-dub on February 01, 2011, 03:27:50 PM

Quote from: Tracker on February 01, 2011, 03:37:42 PM
I think an all-way stop is needed.

In the two examples I linked, the first from Albany, OR, gives the TLA-3 the right of way while the Street has to stop.  The second example from Hillsboro, OR has an all-way stop.  I'd probably go with the all-way stop.

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Will such an intersection be included for NMAVE-4, now that I think of it?

gooper1

Quote from: Tarkus on February 01, 2011, 04:21:50 PM
Ganaram, fine work here--those paths look excellent. :thumbsup:

In the two examples I linked, the first from Albany, OR, gives the TLA-3 the right of way while the Street has to stop.  The second example from Hillsboro, OR has an all-way stop.  I'd probably go with the all-way stop.

-Alex
I think the TLA-3 should have the right-of-way, it has more capacity than a street.
(\__/)

riiga

Quote from: gooper1 on February 02, 2011, 02:08:02 PM
I think the TLA-3 should have the right-of-way, it has more capacity than a street.
I think not, since it's a general rule that the through-road in a T-intersection has right-of-way.

MandelSoft

^^ At least, that's the case in Europe. But then again, TLA's are rarely/never used in Europe...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Ramona Brie

Quote from: riiga on February 02, 2011, 02:13:06 PM
I think not, since it's a general rule that the through-road in a T-intersection has right-of-way.

That would apply if TLA-3s weren't designed for higher capacity applications (relatively), which I would think merit a stop on the through-street in addition to the obvious stop needed on the ending road.

AVE-2 I can see the through road having the right of way. ARD-3 and TLA-3 (and definitely NMAVE-4) don't work that way.

gooper1

AVE-2 I can see the through road having the right of way. ARD-3 and TLA-3 (and definitely NMAVE-4) don't work that way.
[/quote]
I agree, since an AVE-2 is just a road with a large median and therefore should be treated (in this respect (and in many others)) like a normal road.
(\__/)

jdenm8

ARD-3 and TLA-3 are nothing more than roads with another lane.

The central lane in TLA-3 could probably be ignored, as it does not carry through traffic, nor add any capacity. ARD-3 is different, though it is still ending, and ending roads give way to through roads in most applications.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

gooper1

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 08, 2011, 01:24:41 AM
ARD-3 and TLA-3 are nothing more than roads with another lane.

The central lane in TLA-3 could probably be ignored, as it does not carry through traffic, nor add any capacity. ARD-3 is different, though it is still ending, and ending roads give way to through roads in most applications.

If you remember the talk about TLA-3 bridges some pages back, I complained about the uselessness of the middle buffer zone (you can't turn on a bridge!) and requested for it to be turned into and ARD-3 bridge, where the central buffer strip could actually be put to use (as a lane of traffic).
(\__/)

Blue Lightning

We can easily have a TLA-3/AVE-2 bridge and an ARD-3 bridge coexist. Again, the only point of having a TLA-3/AVE-2 bridge is simply for consistency (don't always have room to put transition pieces at both ends) and for RL points (plenty of bridges have "solid medians" on roads that have medians IRL)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

BL summed up my thoughts pretty well. :thumbsup:

Of course, it's kind of a moot point, as I don't anticipate that we're going to have bridges as part of this next NWM release.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: gooper1 on February 12, 2011, 05:28:41 PM
If you remember the talk about TLA-3 bridges some pages back, I complained about the uselessness of the middle buffer zone (you can't turn on a bridge!) and requested for it to be turned into and ARD-3 bridge, where the central buffer strip could actually be put to use (as a lane of traffic).

You do realise that the bridge setup BL had in mind was one that would be compatible for BOTH TLA-3 AND AVE-2; They would lack the turn lane paths anyway.

And Tarkus and Blue Lightning: Holy jeez, you two just posted what I was going to say at the same time (Minus the consistency bit); What are the odds? :D
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

Expanding the NWM-realm to CitiesXL 2011  :P

Yes, that's right, a AVE-2 and ARD-3 for CitiesXL 2011! The game already has a AVE-4, MAVE-4, MAVE-5, MAVE-6, OWR-2, OWR-4 and OWR-5, but not these two. I'm also planning to create a OWR-3 for this game. And another thing: the standard RD-2 and AVE-4 in CitiesXL 2011 don't have markings at all (what!?). Fortunatly, I've fixed that issue too.

This is one thing I do when I'm not busy with modding SC4  $%Grinno$%

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE