• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2owner

Quote from: Tarkus on July 31, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
Quote from: io_bg on July 31, 2011, 12:48:12 PM
Hey Alex, what happened with the video showing the NWM secret weapon? :P Is it still in the works?

It is still in the works.  Just like the releasing the actual mod itself, no date or timeline for the video. :D

-Alex

Lol. anyway I saw a screen shot in one of  your citys: and was wondering, Is that TLA-5 Elevated stuff? Or is it just a Texture change of AVE-4?

Blue Lightning

Considering its hooked up to an AVE-4...

But yeah. Elevated AVE-4's will have solid medians. An elevated TLA-5 wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

ps2owner

I was just wondering, What is the point of the TLA's. Is there any point besides increased capacity and texture change? I've seen You guys cut of the TLA's to turn lanes, so That would kind of through it off as a turn lane.

Tarkus

Quote from: ps2owner on July 31, 2011, 07:26:41 PM
I was just wondering, What is the point of the TLA's. Is there any point besides increased capacity and texture change? I've seen You guys cut of the TLA's to turn lanes, so That would kind of through it off as a turn lane.

The TLA-5 was the first "prototype" of the entire NWM project.  Its main purpose was to get around one drawback of the existing Avenues--allowing traffic to cross the median and access zones on the other side without having to go up to an intersection and do a U-Turn.  The TLA-7 operates on the same principle.  The TLA-3's center turn lane functionality is more on the side of cosmetics, since it's only a single-tile-wide network.

-Alex

jdenm8

Quote from: Tarkus on July 31, 2011, 07:45:26 PM
The TLA-5 was the first "prototype" of the entire NWM project.  Its main purpose was to get around one drawback of the existing Avenues--allowing traffic to cross the median and access zones on the other side without having to go up to an intersection and do a U-Turn.

It's also an incredibly American piece of infrastructure and rarely seen outside of North America. There are similar traffic objects around the world (Flush Medians are one that springs to mind), but they're scarce too. Its inclusion can probably be attributed to the fact that most of the people who work on the NWM (Pretty much just Tarkus) are American.

As for the overpasses, myself or someone else will most likley make a texture that has a concrete median (more akin to the current pieces) to replace the current Flush Median.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

It is still in the works.  Just like the releasing the actual mod itself, no date or timeline for the video. :D

Hey  Alex when you finished the video immediately call me, without worry of the time difference because I want to be the first to see it.
:D :D :D     

Best,
Ivo

Tarkus

Reaching back a bit . . .

Quote from: Rady on June 23, 2011, 01:48:20 AM
Just to get an idea: are there plans to add the missing (compared to "normal" Maxis roads / avenues) junction types for MAVE, ... Like a 90-degree-turn for the MAVE-4 (like the avenue 90-degree turn), or the MAVE-4 / ARD T-junction (see pic) ... and I suppose there are some more missing pieces, haven't tried all of them right now.

Now solved . . .

-Alex

Girafe

Thanks Alex,

You will say that the Girafe is really paintful  &ops

but I have a question regarding the texture of this crossing.

Why we have marks I underlined in red  (it seems they are not in the right direction).

Surely something you will adjust after :)

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Ramona Brie

That is odd...perhaps it's leftover wear from the + intersection.

Rady

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

ivo_su

I just know I feel really black, or which are  painted paths MAVE-4 looks  darker than black in ARD?  And there you have to show us your secret weapon for NWM, which excites me so much?

Regards,
Ivo

sitejunction

Two questions.
1.Will there be an AVE-6 to RHW-6C Transition?
2.What networks would the AVE-6/TLA-7 Tuleps interface with?

Tarkus

Quote from: sitejunction on August 06, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
1.Will there be an AVE-6 to RHW-6C Transition?

Maarten did some textures for one, but it hasn't been implemented yet, and I don't know whether or not I'll get that added in for Version 2.0 or not.  Have to stop adding features some time.  ::) 

Quote from: sitejunction on August 06, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
2.What networks would the AVE-6/TLA-7 Tuleps interface with?

I have built intersection pieces to allow them to interface with Road TuLEPs (and by extension, TLA-3/AVE-2) and Avenue Type A TuLEPs (and by extension, TLA-5).  That'll probably be it for Version 2.0.

-Alex

Korot

And 'normal' networks? Can I just draw a road to/through an AVE-6 and get a working intersection, or will I get three roadxroad intersections, ergo, a failure?

Regards,
Korot

ivo_su

Which version of the NWM are planning to have elavated networks of full spectrum of NWM. We will alert you  of this possible in 2012 or  2013.

Regards,
Ivo

Tarkus

Quote from: Korot on August 06, 2011, 02:16:31 PM
And 'normal' networks? Can I just draw a road to/through an AVE-6 and get a working intersection, or will I get three roadxroad intersections, ergo, a failure?

A working intersection--that was one of the first I created, in fact (as support for all other intersections between triple-tile networks and all other Road-based NWM networks required it to be in place).  The triple-tile networks will be able to do virtually everything the dual-tile networks can do, within reason.  You won't be able do silly things like end a TLA-7 or AVE-6 at a Road, for instance, but most reasonable intersection types are supported.

(median trees sold separately)

Quote from: ivo_su on August 06, 2011, 02:39:09 PM
Which version of the NWM are planning to have elavated networks of full spectrum of NWM. We will alert you  of this possible in 2012 or  2013.

Don't know yet.  I'll have a better idea once NWM 2.0 is done and work's begun on its successor.  Something of that magnitude sounds like another X.0 release, however--probably 3.0.

-Alex

Opkl

Tarkus, do you have a picture of a TLA-7 or AVE-6 with zones on it?  I just wanted to see how the streetlighting would look.

jdenm8

Pretty much like that. There are only streetlights on the outside on alternating tiles (I think) thanks to the limitations of Wealthing.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

::) ::) ::)

This was an old T21 experiment of mine where I took the AVE-4's props and reused them for the AVE-6 (and AVE-8). There are several problems I see with this, though:

- The outer parts will likely have their own lights for the TLA-7, adding extra lights to an AVE-6 setup. (Not unless they're deactivated and the TLA-7's median bears overhanging lights instead.)
- The lights have to be near powered zones to work.
- Like the plants, they have to be set up so that they're always showing.
- jdenm8's description would be the most likely setup. (But that doesn't mean someone won't be able to make a third-party lighting mod in the way that I described...)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

rhwfanatic221

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on August 07, 2011, 03:06:57 AM

I still prefer Alexs' T21 AVE 6  ::) $%Grinno$% To me this looks weird w/the Maxis shrubbery on a new network.
Either way the road itself is going to be awesome to have  ;)