• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Holy smokes, you are fast! :thumbsup:  Those are just absolutely amazing--thank you so much. &dance

As far as the long vs. short, the short one looks like a good candidate for a draggable setup, while the long one can serve as a puzzle piece.

-Alex

eggman111

Those textures look awesome. Thank you for making them! I look forward to seeing them in-game.

Lach77

Michi those transitions are awesome! That fills a big part of what is currently missing from the NWM. Now I can look forward to improving loads of intersections in my cities 

Will12

I don't have wifi for 2 days and already most NWM curves are done!

Dexter

I did post various textures for transitions a few pages back that might be useful  :):

Quote from: Dexter on September 29, 2011, 12:35:19 PM

Best,
-Matt
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

io_bg

They look great! The only thing I dislike is the abrupt ending of the bike line (or whatever it is) on the first transition.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

noahclem

Quote from: io_bg on January 18, 2012, 10:33:06 AM
They look great! The only thing I dislike is the abrupt ending of the bike line (or whatever it is) on the first transition.

I actually like it with the abrupt ending. If those side lanes are for parking (you can think of them as bike lanes or whatever you want) then it reminds me of something I had heard when I lived in Milwaukee--which is having the streets with parking on the sides narrow at intersections, which serves to slow traffic and increase property values in "renewing" neighborhoods.

But I digress--I'm sure this has been discussed before, but would it be possible to have timed-T21'ed parked car props on the shoulders of MAVE-4s and AVE-6s, similar to a sidestreet MOD, were someone to do the legwork?

ZenMonster

I'm just now making the upgrade to the new NWM (Looks awesome BTW  ;D). I've got the NWM_2.0.2_Patch. Do I still need my old MAVE-6_Fix and NWM_Test_09072010 patches as well. I see they are no longer attached to the first post.

noahclem

No, you shouldn't need them as those changes have been included in the updated NWM--have fun playing with the newest NAM  :thumbsup:

GDO29Anagram

I think the purpose of that shoulder/parking/bike lane is so the MAVE-4 and TLA-7/AVE-6 take up more space. Ever wonder how much of an eyesore having too much side grass would be if they didn't have those buffer areas? If those buffer areas were standard, they'd also appear on the AVE-4, RD-6, and AVE-8, though they can't due to space restrictions.

Prototypes of the MAVE-4/RD-4 didn't have that shoulder area, actually.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Shadow Assassin

But I digress--I'm sure this has been discussed before, but would it be possible to have timed-T21'ed parked car props on the shoulders of MAVE-4s and AVE-6s, similar to a sidestreet MOD, were someone to do the legwork?

Yes.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

io_bg

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on January 18, 2012, 06:13:51 PMI think the purpose of that shoulder/parking/bike lane is so the MAVE-4 and TLA-7/AVE-6 take up more space. Ever wonder how much of an eyesore having too much side grass would be if they didn't have those buffer areas? If those buffer areas were standard, they'd also appear on the AVE-4, RD-6, and AVE-8, though they can't due to space restrictions.

Prototypes of the MAVE-4/RD-4 didn't have that shoulder area, actually.
That was my guess too. I meant that this particular lane ends quite abruptly, it could be merged like this (sorry for my poor drawing skills)

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: io_bg on January 19, 2012, 03:10:03 AM
I meant that this particular lane ends quite abruptly, it could be merged like this

Agreed, but I was defining the "Whatever it is" you were saying before.

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

metarvo

The NRD-4/RD-4 transition is fairly high on the list of new items I'm looking forward to in the next release.  Of course, the prospect of OWR curves is quite exciting as well.  Good work!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

An in-progress look from last night on the TLA-5 S-Curve pathing.

The obvious errors on there have now been fixed.  I'm also working on an AVE-4 S-Curve (though its textures are still not particularly appealing aesthetically).

And between Matt (Dexter) and Michael (michi_cc), it looks like we're going to have a lot of very useful new transitions this next go around--again, my sincere thanks to you guys! :thumbsup:

Based on the current trajectory of development, this is kind of how things are shaping up tentatively for the next update.  I should also add that NWM 2.0 was actually the "last" NWM release . . . all this stuff will be part of the NAM proper next go-around.

WHAT WILL MOST LIKELY BE INCLUDED

• A number of new transitions, including ortho RD-2-to-4, RHW-2-to-RD-4, NRD-4-to-RD-4, NRD-4-to-AVE-4, NRD-4-to-TLA-5, TLA-3-to-5, RD-6-to-AVE-6, RD-6-to-TLA-7, possibly more.
  • Wide-Radius Curves for OWR-1, OWR-3, OWR-4, OWR-5, TLA-5, TLA-7, AVE-6, RD-4, RD-6 and NRD-4.
  • Additions to TuLEPs, including Slip Lanes for NWM networks, Dual-Left for AVE-6/TLA-7, and Right-Only lanes for RD-6.
  • Basic elevated functionality for appropriate networks.
  • Basic bridges for appropriate networks (some may require a DBE-type setup or alternate-network workarounds).
  • Filler pieces (both ortho and diag, especially since shared-tile diagonals can't use starters).
  • Basic set of signalized intersection pieces for OWR-3, 4 and 5.
  • Name change on some networks:  All "MAVE" networks will become "RD" networks: MAVE-4 becomes RD-4, MAVE-6 becomes RD-6, and NMAVE-4 becomes NRD-4.

BEING CONSIDERED

• Possibility of conversion to by-network menu setup.

WHAT WILL MOST LIKELY NOT BE INCLUDED (but considered for future releases)

• More diagonal intersections.
  • Fractional Angle NWM Networks.
  • TLA-9/AVE-8 networks and their asymmetrical counterparts.
  • OWR-6 network (dual-tile).
  • Road-based AVE-4 with split tile diagonals (TLA-5 style).
  • OWR-1 conversion to Street-based network.
  • Dual-tile asymmetrical networks (e.g. TLA-4, which will likely have a puzzle piece implementation).
  • FlexSPUI and DDI variants for AVE-6/TLA-7 (on the RHW side).
  • MIS Ramp interfaces for NWM networks (mostly for Parclo applications).
  • T-RAM interfacing.
  • Maxis Highway/NWM interchanges (lowest priority, especially with JD's revamp underway).

WHAT IS NOT UNDER CONSIDERATION

• Any more single-tile networks (other than elevated variants).

WHAT WILL BE UP TO THIRD PARTIES/NOT INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE ITSELF

• Any alternate texture sets (e.g. Euro textures).
  • Any sort of T21 mod beyond the very basics (as we don't intend to introduce external dependencies).
  • Any sort of Lot-based items, such as a station (RTMT is taking care of that).

-Alex[/list]

noahclem

A lot of exciting stuff  :thumbsup:  Thanks for putting this nice list together.

Quick clarification on things I didn't see addressed: Are OWR-2 wide-radius curves planned? Any OWR TuLEPs?

Bummer about the T-RAM side of things. Any chance of basic integration if I could create textures (TIAxTuLEP intersections being what I had in mind)?

Tarkus

Quote from: noahclem on January 19, 2012, 03:25:09 PM
Quick clarification on things I didn't see addressed: Are OWR-2 wide-radius curves planned? Any OWR TuLEPs?

They're kind of outside the scope of the NWM, but yes and yes.  The OWR-2 ones will be done before the other ones, mainly as I need to figure them out first in order to get the other ones working.

Quote from: noahclem on January 19, 2012, 03:25:09 PM
Bummer about the T-RAM side of things. Any chance of basic integration if I could create textures (TIAxTuLEP intersections being what I had in mind)?

If there's textures in place, then I'd say the chances are much, much higher. :)

-Alex

Will12

Will the NAM 31 include all the other components in the installer? Also will the HSPR and SAM and RAM (I suppose that's their [RAM Team] choice) etc updated? That would be nie but I suppose that's lots of model based items and re texturing

Tarkus

Quote from: Will12 on January 19, 2012, 04:49:24 PM
Will the NAM 31 include all the other components in the installer? Also will the HSPR and SAM and RAM (I suppose that's their [RAM Team] choice) etc updated? That would be nie but I suppose that's lots of model based items and re texturing

All of those are planned to be merged into the NAM proper.  I'm not sure how much updating there will be to HSRP and SAM (mostly "maintenance mode" gap-filling, as those projects haven't been particularly active for quite some time), but they'll be in, and it'll make it easier for us to make incremental updates to them as needed.

(Oh, and by the way, happy birthday to you. :thumbsup:)

-Alex

apeguy

Thanks for the list, it's good to know some of the things what we can expect in NAM 31. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy