• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epicblunder

Seeing that OWR5 reminds me, is it possible for OWR4 and 5 to be dragged diagonally?  I ask because when i attempt it, the start of the curve acts like it (adopts a curving texture) but the very first diagonal tile resets to standard road network.  Whatever dragging combo i try, nothing works properly so i assume it's not possible (or my skills are weak).

Tarkus

There's some issues with dragging the OWR-4 and OWR-5 diagonals with the OWR Arrow Reduction Plugin.  That Plugin actually changes the IID for the OWR diagonal, and there isn't RUL2 code in place to convert those changed OWRs over at present.  You'll need to pull that plugin out in order to make those diagonals in the meanwhile.

-Alex

epicblunder

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 01, 2012, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: Patricius Maximus on October 01, 2012, 11:49:43 AM
I sure hope there are, because it would make my RHW-3 expressways much more viable, in the sense that in the surface street-to-expressway transition it wouldn't have to transition to a road first and then expand to its previous size, thus creating a bottleneck.

Two or four lines (maybe eight) of RUL-2 code at best. It really isn't that hard to add in. Is the texture there? I dunno... &Thk/(

That's good to know. If the texture isn't there it would be a simple matter to make it.

QuoteThough this would be the poor man's way of connecting the two together: "Slam down" two puzzle pieces that don't exactly fit aesthetically, but fit perfectly by pathing. Same with the MIS-OWR-1 transition.

[...]

Except instead of OWR-5 and TLA-5, you instead use RHW-3 and ARD-3 starters in the correct rotation and position. This only works on flat land, because these use false intersections, which tend to be slope-intolerant.

I'm a rich man, so I eschew grotesque methods such as that :P.

j-dub

Quote from: haljackey

I just keep the piece for that road in tact, and use the RHW filler piece right after the road's piece for this reason, I mean, for right now, there are at least a couple of road TuLEPs to choose, that could fit the gap here too, and while that may not be The transition, it at least it gives you the right of way.

MandelSoft

Meanwhile, over at the NWM Euro Texture Workshop...

Now who can catch the brony reference?

More serious stuff will follow in the next few days. I'm making some good progress with the two and three-tile networks.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Monorail Master

Excellent work so far, but I'd like to ask something.

Can there please be a small 1x1 or 1x2 transition for the ARD-3 and/or RHW-3? A transition that switches the side of the 2-lanes of ARD-3 without switching back to standard road, then back to ARD-3/RHW-3. Such as: for about, say, 20 tiles, the 2 lanes of the ARD-3 is on the right hand side. Then the transition occurs, and the 2 lanes switches from the right hand side to the left side of the ARD-3.

This is what I mean with MS Paint:

I'd really like this for both ARD-3 and RHW-3, mainly for when I'm creating switch-backs with hill climbing lanes for freight traffic and buses. I've ran into numerous cases where this piece would really come in handy in mountainous areas.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

jdenm8

There's a TuLEPs piece designed to fill this void, but it only works one way.

RHW-3's closest equivalent is to convert to WRHW-2 very briefly, and that's for simulated safety reasons. Most motorway priority changes like that usually are separated by at least a few metres of flush median.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

And that's why US roads where the lane lines are the same color for two way traffic drive me nuts!

You guys really left me no choice, since mentioning D.H. Road Markings.

I think I know what went wrong though, because I can't figure out why someone who has wings, would make such a company, when they don't have as much experience with Rush Hour traffic patterns, due to that being more of an Earth-bound problem. When you can fly away, then why wait?
QuoteExcellent work so far, but I'd like to ask something.

However, maybe it is time to demonstrate a solution via video or other means for the whole current method of connecting ARD and RHW together, don't know if I got the time to.

Wiimeiser

For connecting ARD-3 and RHW-3 I just drop starters next to each other if they're on the same side
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

SpazzAttack

OK, So I have read the entire FAQ section on page one as well as the entire first post actually. I do very much love the entire NAM series. I am only finding one small issue with the TULEPs. When I try to ad them next to the TLA-7 intersections, as in a TLA-7 across a TLA-7, it converts the entire area to single roads. As soon as I place a puzzle piece for a turn arrow, or blank, it borks the whole intersection. I am using the NWM TULEPs pieces, not the road TULEPs. I figured that would be the first thing you may think, is I am using the wrong pieces. But I did make sure I was putting what I was supposed to put where I supposed to put it. I also notice that there is no 3 X 3 intersection puzzle piece, and thought that this may mean a TLA-7 was never meant to intersect itself. If that is the case, no big, I will work around it.

Other that that,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to this entire project.

jdenm8

It is meant to be able to intersect itself and from memory there was such a piece in the Alpha versions, but it was cut due to the number of pathing fixes needed to get it working and the fact that it needed to be almost completely different for LHD.

The intersection will deconvert to the base network because there isn't enough of a stable override to keep it intact. The only solution is to not use the turning lanes before intersections that don't have an appropriate intersection piece. The traffic simulator won't use that turning lane at those intersections anyway because the intersection doesn't have paths for the turn from that lane.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

SpazzAttack

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 22, 2012, 08:38:17 PM
It is meant to be able to intersect itself and from memory there was such a piece in the Alpha versions, but it was cut due to the number of pathing fixes needed to get it working and the fact that it needed to be almost completely different for LHD.

The intersection will deconvert to the base network because there isn't enough of a stable override to keep it intact. The only solution is to not use the turning lanes before intersections that don't have an appropriate intersection piece. The traffic simulator won't use that turning lane at those intersections anyway because the intersection doesn't have paths for the turn from that lane.

OH, ok. Thank you then. :D Just run the roads through and kinda skip the detailing on those pieces. Can Do.

shinkansen1

I have two questions I would like to ask here, if acceptable...

1. In European roads, how is one able to tell which lanes head in a certain direction based on the fact that the dividing lines are all white?

2. I apologise if this is an inappropriate time to ask, but is a neighbor connecting piece planned for this network?

I do not need to know if it is going to be in the next release or not, just if it is planned. ^_^

Tarkus

Quote from: shinkansen1 on October 28, 2012, 05:58:12 PM
I have two questions I would like to ask here, if acceptable...

They most certainly are. :)

1. In European roads, how is one able to tell which lanes head in a certain direction based on the fact that the dividing lines are all white?

I was curious about this myself some time ago, so in casual conversation some time ago, I asked some who live in areas where all-white markings are the norm.  It's based on the length and width of the striping.  In game, if you're running into some confusion with it, the DrawPaths cheat is a good fail-safe.

2. I apologise if this is an inappropriate time to ask, but is a neighbor connecting piece planned for this network?

I do not need to know if it is going to be in the next release or not, just if it is planned. ^_^

It's not just planned--it already exists in the current release.

-Alex

shinkansen1

*starts searching through pieces* Arigato, Tarkus!

MandelSoft

Quote from: Tarkus on October 28, 2012, 06:38:26 PM

I was curious about this myself some time ago, so in casual conversation some time ago, I asked some who live in areas where all-white markings are the norm.  It's based on the length and width of the striping.  In game, if you're running into some confusion with it, the DrawPaths cheat is a good fail-safe.
Well, there are more tricks when it comes too certain networks:
- The ARD-3, (N)RD-4 and RD-6 all have solid median lines (or at least, in the standard version).
- One way road has depending on which mod you use, longer striping (in case of SFBT's Euro TRM) or shorter striping and striping at curves (in case of my euro mod, which makes all lines at curves solid).
- The RHW has a narrow shoulder lane on the inside and a wider shoulder lane on the outside. The wider shoulder lane is about 3 times as wide as the inner one. I usually use this to distinct driving directions from the RHW.

AngryBirdsFan436

I Have a question about the NWM Euro Textures and Costemic Mod: The AVE-6/TLA-7 TuLEP piece (the one with the arrow) is still American texture while all the others are European. Is it not included or the game didn't load it properly? :)
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

MandelSoft

It's not included probably, because with the TuLEP Custom Arrow Mod I use, this effect is not present.