• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Here's two further variations.

Green field symbolizing the Great North.  Light blue for the region's crystal-clear skies and air.  Three dark blue stripes representing the rivers.  The beaver...

...we dropped the seal off back at SeaWorld- Thanks, guys!

...representing both nature and industry.

An alternate take, this time on a light blue field.

Let me know what you think.

Just three weeks left...

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

If I have to choose between the two, I would pick the first one.  I don't like all the blue in the second, I think it's too much.  I think you are getting closer, maybe still not quite there though.  ;) Not sure what to suggest at this moment.  I will think about it a bit more.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

maybe this????

edit scratch this..... just look down
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Darmok

I totally agree with John (Mightygoose)  about the fact that a flag is symbolic, and that the official seal itself should serve another purpose, that is to be on official documents, passports and so forth.

In 3RR we have mountains, forests, rivers and water (lakes and sea) and a symbolic animal (the beaver) add to that that we have (or so I think) four seasons.

So perhaps it could go along these lines....

Green representing :
Summer and spring AND the plains

Blue representing :
Three blue stripes = three rivers
AND the color itself representing all the water bodies

White stripes representing :
winter AND snow

Orange representing :
Fall
And the orange symbol on the left representing mountains

On the mountains the three triangular forms representing forests

And of course the symbolic animal on the upper right quadrant of the flag.

What do you think?

And with a more "texturized" look

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

rooker1

Now that's a flag!!

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

&dance %BUd% &dance %BUd% &dance %BUd%

I think the second image in John's post is perfect.  I really like what everything symbolizes.
I don't like the textured one.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

vester

Welcome back Darmok.

That is a great flag, but some of the details will disappear.

On real flags there are two colors groups: metal (yellow and white) and the others.
Normally you don't place to color area from the same color group next to each other.

A few suggestions:

Add a thin white line between the blue and green.
Add some "snow" to the forest, to make it stand out more, and maybe to the top of the mountains.

Pat

gasping for air wow John (darmok) that is stunning I love the final version of your flag Idea and I do agree with Vester on his thoughts there should be a break in the green from blue

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Darmok

Hi Vester
With all due respect Vester I strongly disagree, look at the world flags and you'll very rarely find, if ever, small strokes outlining symbols.
I also do not agree on placing snow on the mountains, again this is only a symbol not an illustration and it defeats the almost Zen look that every flag try to have, besides, the snow is already symbolized by the white stripes, as for the added small white stripes, again it only add to the complexity of the design, which I tried to limit to the minimum.
I do agree that the trees are not very visible on the green background though, still working on an elegant solution, but not on placing a white stroke on it, I'd rather remove them completely to keep the symbolism very spartan and clean.
Back to the design board to try to find a better solution to the trees...

Edit:

Hi Pat, see my comments to Vester about the white, it's just that I find that the added small white stripe defeats the bold look, besides if adding a white stripe would be necessary, we should add one that is as wide as the other white stripes, if not, the look will be less consistent.

Heblem

maybe the forest over the blue stripes would look good  ;)

excellent work to both for the flag i like both  :)

Pat

ahhh OK I understand now John and I was doing some further looking into flag making and you are pretty dead on....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Darmok

Hey Pat,
There's many sites on flag design, here's a good one:
It's called "Good Flag bad flag"
http://www.nava.org/Flag%20Design/GFBF/

And a flag is not a question of personal taste and preferences, but rather a good reflection on what we (as a country, or group for that matter) want to be symbolized and also the "longevity" of the design. Flag making is probably one of the craft where the KISS rule apply to it's fullest, one of the rule is that it shouldn't cost too much to produce! Is that real life enough for you? hehehe

I've reworked the trees, so far I've done this (see pic below)...
The trees are the same color as the background with black added in the color so it keeps the same "tonality". This way we keep an homogenous look.

But I'm still questioning the fact that we should keep them or not in the design. The less there is, the better.

Back to the drawing board...

-John

EDITED:

Hey David..... no peeking!
Go make some pesto!

Pat

John your design follows all the princaples to the letter and I think a kid could draw that flag from memory and with that said leave it be as it is and we will have to wait on seeing what David says next....

dragonshardz

That flag must be laced with upsidasium to get that metallic sheen!

thundercrack83

I love that flag, John! It looks absolutely fantastic to me! Excellent job, my friend!

pvarcoe

Very nice work on the flag John.
Good to see you here!
Phil

Jmouse

Terrific work on the flag, John. I have but one tiny suggestion and that's to try flipping the beaver horizontally and see how it looks.

Until March 12...
Joan

Ryan B.

David, is that a preview of 3RR's ca$hmoney there?

emilin

Wonderful flags. Really wonderful.

Sorry I haven't stopped by in a while, but it's great to see that the colaboration is now underway.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Giligone

Wow, a real flurry of activity here! Excellent flag suggestions all. I think Darmok has a winner though!  :thumbsup: