• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Which Name Do You Like Better, Burj Dubai or Burj Khalifa?

Started by daryl7478, January 08, 2010, 09:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daryl7478

On the 4th of January, the world's tallest building had opened. But it had opened in a completely different name. During construction, it was called the Burj Dubai. But when it opened, it was renamed the Burj Khalifa. Which name do you like better? The Burj Dubai, or the Burj Khalifa? You can talk about this in this forum.

Fabian93

Well I think that it doesn't really matter but I personally prefer "Burj Dubai", simply because it was always called like that. Aside from that, I just can not memorize the new name ;).
By the way... the former Sears Tower is now called Willis Tower.... Yet I still call it Sears Tower ;).
Oh and I'm of the opinion that the "Burj Dubai" is utterly ugly (just MY opinion) even though I'm probably quite contrary to other people with that persuasion ;D

Fabian

rooker1

I think the new name is fitting.

"4 January 2010: Burj Khalifa's official launch ceremony is held and Burj Khalifa is opened. Burj Dubai renamed Burj Khalifa in honour of the current President of the UAE and ruler of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan."
Call me Robin, please.

io_bg

I'm also used to "Burj Dubai" As for pronouncing the new name, I think it's transcripion should be [kali'fa] ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

Haljackey

I don't care because the tower's awesome.  The location not so much  :P.

By the way, how do you pronounce "Khalifa" in English?

io_bg

Quote from: Jonathan on January 08, 2010, 10:16:31 AM
Well I'm glad they didn't name it Burj Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan. :)
Yeah, it's much shorter, isn't it? :D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

MandelSoft

I prefer Burj Dubai, because it's easy to remember, and if it's easy to rember te name, it's obvious that more people will know the building.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jonathan

HalJackey, I think if it hadn't been in Dubai we wouldn't have seen it open for at least another 5-10 years, anywhere else rich enough to build such a tower has too much planning and decisions :)

Does anyone know if it was overbudget or on budget?

Btw, some people have already base jumped off it :)

WC_EEND

Well I can tell you they went over their budget (quite some Belgian companies are employed in Dubai for stuff like the islands and the Burj Dubai). The construction was even halted for some time because of the financial crisis.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

dragonshardz

I'd always thought of it as Al Burj. Unless that's another tower I'm thinking of...

Andreas

Actually, that is another one indeed. ;)

Personally, I think renaming it now isn't as "bad" as what they did with the Sears Tower - the latter has become famous with that name, even though it was associated with the company. Naming a building after a company works fine as long as the company is actually located there, but it would be somewhat odd if the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt/Germany was suddenly renamed to "Deutsche Bank Tower" or so as well. But since Burj Khalifa got its name just when it was officially opened, I don't really mind the change. A lot of projects had different names in their development phase, but most of them got famous with their release name eventually.
Andreas

MOREOPTIONS

This should have the proper name, Burj Khalifa.  You will have hard time getting it right when we build more Burj in Dubai and other city Saudi.  keep the proper name is always showing good enthusiasm and respect.  ON the other mention of the financial part of Burj Khalifa.  There were never any hardship in finance.  it's only a mater of changed plans to the design of the building.

I know this topic is old.  But sharing as I build my Dubai map

Quote from: io_bg on January 08, 2010, 11:32:00 AM
Quote from: Jonathan on January 08, 2010, 10:16:31 AM
Well I'm glad they didn't name it Burj Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan. :)
Yeah, it's much shorter, isn't it? :D

vester

Please don't revive old threads. Its more than 5 years since last post.

Its not good forum etiquette to revive old threads.