• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on October 26, 2021, 04:55:07 PM
Can anyone tell me how to draw the attached RHW Function Angle (FARHW) pieces?  I prefer Flex FARHW pieces if possible. 

BLUF, I am sure we have the ability to do this, but I do not know how.  These pieces are different from RAR road pieces.

There are no FLEX Pieces or draggables for FARHW right now--all the FARHW functionality is still stuck in the land of old-style puzzle pieces.  Draggables aren't particularly feasible due to the RHW's unfortunate auto-connect aspects, so FLEX is the plan for future reimplementation, though there's pretty much only been experimentation/early prototypes of it at this point. 

I've been attempting to work out a new FLEX implementation for both FARHW and FAR, which I started on during the NAM 42 development cycle, but it's proven to be rather complicated, and is on hold.  If I can get it to work, however, it'll cut down on the amount of required RUL2 code considerably.

-Alex

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on October 26, 2021, 05:28:02 PM
Can anyone tell me how to draw the attached RHW Function Angle (FARHW) pieces?  I prefer Flex FARHW pieces if possible. 

BLUF, I am sure we have the ability to do this, but I do not know how.  These pieces are different from RAR road pieces.

There are no FLEX Pieces or draggables for FARHW right now--all the FARHW functionality is still stuck in the land of old-style puzzle pieces.  Draggables aren't particularly feasible due to the RHW's unfortunate auto-connect aspects, so FLEX is the plan for future reimplementation, though there's pretty much only been experimentation/early prototypes of it at this point. 

I've been attempting to work out a new FLEX implementation for both FARHW and FAR, which I started on during the NAM 42 development cycle, but it's proven to be rather complicated, and is on hold.  If I can get it to work, however, it'll cut down on the amount of required RUL2 code considerably.

-Alex

Perhaps a good recursive Python script might be of some use in dealing with the complexity. What are the paramaters and expected output?

roadgeek

Another 5 level stack with Box frontage roads is underway. This one uses MIS flyovers rather than RHW-4, but the box interchange also has U-Turns, and I went with the  :bnn: slip lanes rather than the REW for the right turns.

Tarkus

Nice work, roadgeek--that thing is an absolute beast!

Quote from: roadgeek on October 28, 2021, 09:24:07 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on October 26, 2021, 05:28:02 PM

-Alex

Perhaps a good recursive Python script might be of some use in dealing with the complexity. What are the paramaters and expected output?

I think I may have worked out a solution.  I had hoped to go full bore and give each tile its own unique INRUL flag combination, to allow all the intersections to be done with RUL1 instead of RUL2, but the available flag combos didn't like being in the same FLEX Piece together.  Doing somewhat of a "checkerboard" setup (similar to how FLEXFly-V2 works) appears to be feasible, and would at least allow me some use of RUL1.  I don't anticipate I'll get to a further investigation of it just yet, though, as my current projects are keeping me quite busy.

Speaking of which . . .

Basically, I'm adding SITAP-style support using FLEX Intersections, to allow for signalized RHW-2 intersections with the FTLs.  This ties in with some of the plans (both current and future) with the RHW FTLs.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

That's neat. Will there be RHW-2 FTLs too? And hopefully MIS and OWR-1 support for that Avenue piece. I wonder if that really old piece I found and posted on the Discord a while back would be of use?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 05, 2021, 05:53:34 PM
That's neat. Will there be RHW-2 FTLs too? And hopefully MIS and OWR-1 support for that Avenue piece. I wonder if that really old piece I found and posted on the Discord a while back would be of use?

There's RHW-2 FTLs on the previous page.  Started with those first.  SITAP support on both the RHW and OWR end is planned to be expanded quite a bit in the near future, in phases.

As far as the Discord image, there were a few you posted that seem to fit that description. 

And if anyone's wondering if MIS FTLs are going to be a thing, the answer is yes.

Right now, the plan with NAM 43 is to get the basic "guts" for a lot of stuff in place, laying the groundwork for future expansion.  The number (and types) of supported intersections will probably be a bit limited initially.  The focus with the RHW-2 and RHW-4 FTLs thus far has been predominantly "rural" situations (i.e. no big giant crossing networks), and the MIS FTL situations are primarily those with other (non-RHW) FTLs, as seen above.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

I wonder if one where the other turn is its own lane would be coming, too?

The filename of the one I was referring to is "base6usadk7"

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 15, 2021, 01:42:28 AM
I wonder if one where the other turn is its own lane would be coming, too?

The filename of the one I was referring to is "base6usadk7"

I've been designing things with future expansion in mind . . . I'll leave it at that. ;)

That particular image you referenced is actually an old concept texture for an Avenue x Road T-intersection with turn lanes by Dexter, from long before FTLs or TuLEPs were even a thought.  It was designed to hook in with the old Auto Turn Lanes--multi-network support for those (i.e. Avenue x Road intersections) was always a no-go. Being multi-network meant everything had to be RUL2 (Road x Road and Avenue x Avenue could be done with INRUL triggers), so pretty much anyone using the NAM would be forced to use them.  It wasn't until TuLEPs came along (and then FTLs) that there was an acceptable way to support such configurations. 

Road Type 110 intersecting with the RHW-4 Type 120 FTLs (what it seems you're actually requesting) isn't planned for NAM 43, though it's possible it could be added at a later date.

And more progress . . .

-Alex

AsimPika3172

Cool! FTL with traffic lights and FTL without traffic lights!  :thumbsup: &apls :bnn:
I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words and the likes!  And now, for the really big one . . .

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Nice. Still expecting a version of the MIS FTL where it's the other lane that goes through, though.

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 20, 2021, 08:55:31 PM
Nice. Still expecting a version of the MIS FTL where it's the other lane that goes through, though.

Never doubt the tankadillo . . .

Quote from: Tarkus on November 15, 2021, 06:55:23 PM
I've been designing things with future expansion in mind . . . I'll leave it at that. ;)

Been designing everything with that possibility in mind the entire time.  It's a rarer setup, for sure, but it's for sure possible.

The RHW-4 can hook into the MIS 2-Lane FTL transitions as well.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Okay, that's neat. The RHW-4 connection will definitely come in handy too. I wonder, if you terminate it at the road, do the arrows change to the two curved arrows with no straight arrow? What about if the road terminates at the MIS FTL, odd as that sounds?

mgb204

That is how the regular FTLs/SITAP works, so I would expect the RHW ones to work the same.

roadgeek

I noticed in NAM 42 that there is a Flex S-Curve, which is pretty awesome. I was wondering if this either has been or will be extended to double tile networks. I know we already have dual RHW-4 S Curves, but of course that could also be absorbed into the Flex Dual tile concept.

Tarkus

Happy New Year, roadgeek!  To answer your question, expansion of the FLEX curves--the 45° MRCs as well as the S-Curve--is indeed planned for the wider RHW networks.  When that will happen, I'm not fully sure yet, but it is very much on the list.  The Dual RHW-4 setups would also be taken into consideration in the design of such FLEX pieces, too.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

So NAM 44 is all about the ramps. Now I'm wondering when the NWM stuff will happen... Still, the OWR stuff is cool, and it's good to see the DDI finally being redone...

roadgeek

Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 05, 2022, 04:10:36 PM
So NAM 44 is all about the ramps. Now I'm wondering when the NWM stuff will happen... Still, the OWR stuff is cool, and it's good to see the DDI finally being redone...

Yeah, to tack onto that, the Divergents look pretty cool. Where they are starting to pop up around here, are on the Elevated Ave-6 overpasses, which I'm not sure it is even possible to do, albeit the RHW Flex-height is a decent alternative, as it works well with the RHW-6S.