• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Any way to "un-SAM" a street? Failing that, less black default road textures?

Started by Wodong, March 30, 2014, 10:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wodong

Short of bulldozing all those streets and relaying them, is there a way to keep streets (not upgrading to roads/ OWR) and go back to the base texture (pre-SAM)?

And why would anyone want to revert their SAM textured streets to default anyway?  Because NAM's curved streets and FARR pieces don't always work with SAM textures, but the street shape is desirable.  I don't always remember that fact until I've got way too many tiles of overridden street texture.  And sometimes that street didn't end up looking as good as one would have hoped, once they get beyond a certain amount of streets looking like that.

Tarkus

Your best bet would be to briefly convert to Road and immediately back to Street to break the override.  Of course, the SAM overrides should just not carry through once you hit the curve/fractional angle, cutting it off then and there.

-Alex

MandelSoft

You can also demolish the SAM in small pieces of about four to five tiles long to break the override.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Wodong

Quote from: MandelSoft on March 31, 2014, 01:44:17 AM
You can also demolish the SAM in small pieces of about four to five tiles long to break the override.

I'm guessing I'd need to do that to all the areas I want affected and make darn sure they're not attached to any other SAM overrides before I rebuilt them?  'Cause I stupidly converted a pretty large number of streets to a SAM texture and then decided I'd rather have certain road curvatures for aesthetic reasons than those textures.  Of course I discovered that last bit after I'd saved the city and 99% of the streets were already converted.  :bomb:

Thanks for the replies from you guys, but I may just end up obliterating and restarting the city.  Luckily it was the beginning-ish part of a city in a new region so I didn't completely hose myself.

APSMS

In case it's not clear, Maarten means breaking your streets into 4 or five tile lengths, not demolishing them 4 or 5 tiles at a time.

Also, with the Rural Roads Plugin, a number (I think 4) of the SAM streets have the WRC, but obviously they lack a bit of the functionality of the default kind and also don't have sidewalks. It might take less time than trying to redo everything from scratch, though.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Wodong

Oh, I was clear on what he was saying.  I have a LOT of streets in that city, and very few roads.  Low population and all that.  Frankly there were some placement issues with rail and the roads that I wasn't happy with anyway, and it was the only city in the region so it's not like I'm terribly worried about screwing up regionwide RCI.

I'm just picky about which SAM textures I like.  It's no fault of the creators, I do appreciate all the hard work that everyone is doing on their own without pay to spread the love to the rest of the SC4 community. Just that some of those things are not my style.  FWIW, I was using SAM 4 in my agricultural areas but didn't feel like the rest of the town would have the same character if all the streets were gravel.  Wish I had the tech skills to be a contributor as well as consumer of awesome custom content, but well let's just say that I'm pretty terrible with software.  Like, we'd have to invent a word for how terrible.

memo

Something different you could try is uninstalling the SAM temporarily. The easiest way to achieve this is by moving the NAM controller file out of your plugins, while redragging all the SAM streets. They will revert to Maxis streets fairly easy by clicking here and there a few times. Don't forget to move the NAM controller back into your plugins afterwards.

Wodong

Quote from: memo on March 31, 2014, 02:57:13 PM
Something different you could try is uninstalling the SAM temporarily. The easiest way to achieve this is by moving the NAM controller file out of your plugins, while redragging all the SAM streets. They will revert to Maxis streets fairly easy by clicking here and there a few times. Don't forget to move the NAM controller back into your plugins afterwards.

Well that was certainly some brute force, but it sure worked, with minimal replopping of rail.  Lesson I hope I can take away from this, make sure to test the SAM textures' abilities with odd street angles while NOT attached to the rest of the network.  I'll probably forget in a few months and end up doing it again, though.  Some people never learn.  ::)