• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Have you tried to drag them out of the starters with the RHW tool. That often works.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mortaldanger

Problem was I was using startless.  Figured that out, but when I do connect the two, the RHW-4 becomes an elevated road on one side.  I get this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179174176

Thanks again.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: mortaldanger on September 16, 2013, 02:27:11 PM
Problem was I was using startless.  Figured that out, but when I do connect the two, the RHW-4 becomes an elevated road on one side.  I get this:

That's part of the RHW code derping up and giving you Elevated RHW-2 instead of L0 RHW-4. I'd usually put extra starters to make it extra-stable.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

mortaldanger

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 16, 2013, 02:59:50 PM
Quote from: mortaldanger on September 16, 2013, 02:27:11 PM

That's part of the RHW code derping up and giving you Elevated RHW-2 instead of L0 RHW-4. I'd usually put extra starters to make it extra-stable.

That did the trick.  Many thanks, it was driving me nuts.

PS: Do I have to do this verification everytime I post?  :P

APSMS

That problem (though I've not experienced that particular deconversion) is related to RUL2 override code (which determines the textures that the game shows for a given network (when using overrides).

It is solved by clicking randomly around the interchange until the right network appears. I know it sounds finicky and a strange solution, but it is and it works. This interchange I built had a large number of strange deconverts (due to proximity I think), but clicking around the intersection usually yields the desired results (eventually). Sometimes the right overriding click is found two or three tiles away on the wrong network, so try it out and see if that works.

If all else fails plopping a starter piece close by could solve the problem (though it's a less elegant solution).

Can you tell I have trouble with brevity?

EDIT:whoops. Ganaram was faster than me. And the verification goes away after about ten posts (to determine you're more than just a clever computer ;)).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: APSMS on September 16, 2013, 03:06:44 PM
<>

It would be an override failure if everything deconverted down to RHW-2, but it was an "override derp" because it overridden to a different network.

Starter proximity bugs are typically due to recycled starters; RHW-6C and 8C are classic examples, because part of their starters use the RHW-4 starter (for 6C) and the MIS starter (for 8C). This isn't the case here, though it's also manageable.

And if you're really clever about starters, you'll find that some starters can have more RHW drawn directly over, below, or through it. I wrote about this in the RHW User's Manual.
<INACTIVE>
-----

APSMS

I think I'll have to take a second look at that manual then; I missed that part.

I think both derp and failure pop up in most of my interchanges at some point, but I'm probably not giving them enough space.

Indiana Joe

I'm gonna go back a few topics here.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 15, 2013, 05:46:47 PM
Footnote for those watching at home: When puzzle pieces are made, their textures occupy part of an imaginary "sheet" that's 16x16, which is also occupied by other puzzle pieces of similar purpose.

Is there an automated way to name sliced images with texture IDs?  And if not, would it be possible to create a script that does that?  Due to the systematic nature of the IDs, it seems reasonable to me.  But I haven't ventured into coding that much.

whatevermind

Was catching up on this thread, and something odd caught my attention with the Irish/South African textures posted a few pages back:

The SC4 textures:
Quote from: MandelSoft on May 28, 2013, 08:40:58 AM

And the real world image from a few posts later:
Quote from: MandelSoft on May 28, 2013, 10:29:22 AM
No, this is the Irish/South African RHW texture set. Like this:

...don't match.  ???

Particularly, the traffic on the SC4 highway is driving in the wrong direction. The yellow line should be to the left of traffic, same as the American textures. A quick and not remotely scientific look at three randomly selected freeways confirms this:

Ireland:

South Africa:

USA:

Now, I realize there are all sorts of settings out there for RHD/LHD and many texture sets and mods and I could be completely missing something, and please correct me if I am, but seeing the two pictures just got me thinking something looked off.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Indiana Joe on September 16, 2013, 06:56:27 PM
Is there an automated way to name sliced images with texture IDs?

Yes there is. Just be careful that you don't run over the textures of another puzzle piece.

http://www.jmvl.nl/simcity4/otmt/image_cutter.php

Puzzle pieces begin at the top-left corner and work their way down to the bottom-right corner, and it works with the x-axis going right and the y-axis going down. Now if I can just make more visuals describing how puzzle pieces work...
<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

Yeah, it's just an RHD version of it (fictional to my knowledge).  If the LHD options were installed, it'd look just like what you've shown. 

-Alex

MandelSoft

It is indeed a RHD version. I was testing this texture set in a RHD game. There is an LHD plugin for it in the NAM (though the installer borks right now with LHD support by installing ALL alternative texture sets at once).

Also, I don't generally speak about the left or right line, but rather the inner and outer lines. If you check the textures according to that terminology, they match quite well.

APSMS

Inner and outer lane markings would be the defining factor, since otherwise the texture set would be unnecessary, since all American texture sets (RHD, that is) already have the yellow line on the left side.

However, perhaps it's worth noting that the yellow line in America is closer to the driver, while in Ireland/SA it's on the passenger side, which is more definitive than L/R designators when it comes to driving.

MandelSoft

^ Unless you drive with a continental car in Ireland :P

whatevermind

Interesting! Incidentally, it is a beautiful texture set.  :)

Wiimeiser

While we're on the subject of texture sets, what other combinations could be made? Any fantasy-ish sets?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

APSMS

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 17, 2013, 07:32:12 PM
While we're on the subject of texture sets, what other combinations could be made? Any fantasy-ish sets?

You're seriously going there again? I mean, realistically speaking, not only could any texture set be made, but you could make it! I mean, it could even have ponies on the road with flowers as the lane markings (if that's your sort of thing). Why am I even gracing this with an answer?

Or you could make the Rainbow Road from Mario 64, though I doubt it'd be useful or attractive...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 17, 2013, 07:32:12 PM

41 times ye asketh?

Sculptural representation courtesy of Henri Vidal.

-Alex

Indiana Joe

Lol @ the above situation.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 16, 2013, 09:20:17 PM
Yes there is. Just be careful that you don't run over the textures of another puzzle piece.

http://www.jmvl.nl/simcity4/otmt/image_cutter.php

Puzzle pieces begin at the top-left corner and work their way down to the bottom-right corner, and it works with the x-axis going right and the y-axis going down. Now if I can just make more visuals describing how puzzle pieces work...

This is glorious...except it doesn't maintain transparency.   :'(

droric

Well I gotta say this...  Making a puzzle piece for the first time is definitely a challenging process.  But on the same accord I created the single curve in about 30 minutes since the dual was already done ;)

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro