• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

Yeah, in the Simpson's hit and run, there's this highway part that has those unfinished jump ramps. Paradise City has those two. However both of these literal dead ends were closed, and had plenty of warnings about it.

Tarkus

ROFL to toxicpiano's requests . . . (though the are technically possible from a modding standpoint. :D)

Anyways, back on topic . . .  ::) 

"Ramping" things up with the RHW-6C . . .

This is how the piece looks by itself . . .

Bizarre-looking, isn't it?  You'd think there was something wrong with it, but there isn't.  In order to keep things as modular as possible, the actual ramp is built only on the outer tiles of the RHW-6C.  This is a strategy I plan to implement further with the 4-tile RHWs (RHW-8 and 10).  Of course, you're probably most perplexed by the RHW-4 stubs coming out of it?  Well, the way the RHW-6C (and 6S) are implemented, they involve overriding an RHW-4 with another puzzle drag, so when you drag the inner tile through, it will convert into a 6C and everything works out.  Clever, eh?

Back with more soon . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

Edit:  Bonus pic . . . initial messing around with T21-ed barriers.  Using Frankie_Grove's models at the moment.

videosean

It looks like the texture is not quite working there... the dark patch on the ramp doesn't quite meet the dark patch on the lanes.  That will get worked out I'm sure... and the piece of pavement between the RHW and MIS ramp on that piece ;)  Those barriers look sweet!

CasperVg

Looks very nice, I'm glad to see that much development is being made  :)
Will a version without the T21'ed barriers be available? I like clean and sleekness  ::)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Tarkus

Quote from: caspervg on August 07, 2008, 12:58:56 AM
Will a version without the T21'ed barriers be available? I like clean and sleekness  ::)

Yes, the T21 barriers can be made an optional feature.

-Alex (Tarkus)

rushman5

This is incredibly real, and even with the oddity in the RHW 6, i think we can all understand how to get it to work, as long as you guys make another idiot-proof readme (which I understand!)  :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Wow, fantastic work Alex!

After looking at the setup for the RHW-6C (being a 3 tile network), I understand why the ramp looks a little out of place by itself.  That is one tile, if it was 2 tiles you couldn't put a ramp on the other side because they overlap in the middle tile.  I get it.

About the median, It looks great!  One suggestion:  is it possible to connect them together so they don't look like segments? (Similar to the median for ground/elevated highways). 

As always, the progress here has been outstanding!

Best,
-Haljackey

deathtopumpkins

I like the barrier, but I would probably make it a little thinner, and make the joints in it a little smaller, so it looks like the K-rail most US highways use in the median. Or you could just do away with the joints altogether.

Anyway, it's looking good!  :thumbsup:
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

nerdly_dood

I'd like it either with the kind of barriers separating the Maxis highways, either that or Maarten's guardrails.  Good job so far, and also, it does seem much easier to have RHW6 as a parallel-drag thing like RHW v.13b was.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

freedo50

Any chance of getting some euro-style barriers T21'd? [linkie]

Fred

videosean

With what I recently learned about 4,5 and 6 for wealth & density in the IIDs... 5 and 6 have barriers?

allan_kuan1992

someone talking about this?:D $%Grinno$%

That's a very sharp turn though.

Anyway, keep it going Tarkus! Everything looks good so far. =)

- Allan Kuan

Tarkus

Quote from: nerdly_dood on August 07, 2008, 12:01:37 PM
I'd like it either with the kind of barriers separating the Maxis highways, either that or Maarten's guardrails.  Good job so far, and also, it does seem much easier to have RHW6 as a parallel-drag thing like RHW v.13b was.

Well, technically speaking, it's actually both a parallel of two different puzzle drags, so it's kind of a "hybrid" override.  Actually, the RHW-6S from Version 20 is produced in the same way.

Back with more in a bit . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

It doesn't seem much like that to me.  First, the RHW-6 exit ramp type A that you posted has RHW-4 stubs sticking out of it, which as you say, when you parallel drag them they will turn into a RHW-6.  Second, the RHW-6S that we currently have available does require that you parallel-drag them, but that's just because it's a 2-tile-wide puzzle-drag piece, whereas the one you posted above is a 1-tile-wide piece made to be placed on a 3-tile-wide network.

Thats what things seem like to me, if I'm confused then perhaps you could ... smack me or something ... cause it seems like you already tried to clarify something that I mistook for something else ... and I'm confusing myself even more. :'(
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

packerfan386

How 'bout the ability to make a interchange like this (a rural "T" intersection)

or this  below (not complex just want to be able 2 make one)

(And yes I know function over form...  ::))

deathtopumpkins

packerfan386: You already can make the T-junction, it just won't be as smoothly curved, and that second one looks like a regular old parclo to me, which you can also already make.

Kitsune

It would be nice though if we could get one puzzle drag piece that has both a on and off ramp that merge into a RHW-2 or a road.
~ NAM Team Member

deathtopumpkins

We already have that too. There's a RHW-to-MIS transition that looks like this:

|     /
|   /
| /
||
||

It's the fourth thing in the puzzle piece tab ring.

packerfan386

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 08, 2008, 11:58:45 AM
You already can make the T-junction, it just won't be as smoothly curved
That was the point , but with that particular interchange just south of Tohma, WI (I-94 and I-90)most of the curves are actually on a above ground grade and the just the overpasses are supported structures (Concrete)

Kitsune

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 08, 2008, 12:07:56 PM
We already have that too. There's a RHW-to-MIS transition that looks like this:

|     /
|   /
| /
||
||

It's the fourth thing in the puzzle piece tab ring.

Thats not quite what I ment, I ment a exit and onramp coming from a RHW4,6, etc, instead of having of having to place two seperate ramps. It would really help making tight parclos.
~ NAM Team Member