• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

7) Seventh Challenge - Dirty Work?

Started by soulchaser, July 22, 2009, 12:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulchaser

<<Region-Planning-Department of Bordertown>>

Report on differences between North and South Bordertown.

Industry

In the northern part, there's almost no industrial development, as they try to keep everything they do sustainable.

Tile C

Surprising to find a Oldfashioned Coalmine in Drake's Peak. There they are looking for some way to get that many coal out of the mountains, as they can rebuild with wood and some new processes.

Tile C

The southern part looks quite dirtier. Here are so many jobs in the industrial sector, that commuting from the north is common. That's why we've built the only bigger masstransit system, an elevated rail, to Knucker's Nest.

Tile G

Most of the post-agricultural-processes are carried out here.

Tile G

But after the reuniting, they slowly tried to reorganize their industrial sector. The newest gimmick is the Dragon Trout Farm. They fish some Dragon Trouts (Bordertown's Mudwater is the only place, they live in)  on they way upriver for nesting and put them in a basin, where they keep the young fish till they can be sold.

Tile H

The dirty part is the one thing, but on the other hand, the south is much greener. in Sevyll's Sinuosity they recently built a central park. The sad thing on this is, that there were a lot of houses before. They all were burned down while there was the big fire 5 years ago.

Tile H

Farming

The northern scenery is dominated by regular fields,....

Tile F

... while the Cyclonists keep on their circular fashion.

Tile I

The numbers show, Bordertown is able to fullfill all regional demands and even more. Some of the most important goods are Tulips and Sunflower Oil.

Commercial Services

The only real Central Business District is in Sevyll's Sinuosity. In this district there are also the city schools and a flowermarket.

Tile H

In Wyveren's Mouth, there's just a district of outlet stores.

Tile A

The most popular attraction is "night shopping". Once a month shops are open till 1:00 am. (Remember, in Germany there are only some gas stations opened 24/7. ;) )

Tile A

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

jmyers2043

Hey Soulchaser.

I know the picture is dark, but I believe that I put the exact same Coal mine in the exact same spot. You'll need to snap a screen grab in the daylight and post it in your additional pictures thread and perhaps and perhaps I can do the same so we can do a comparison?

I batted my own mines and will be submitting them for the 'pretty picture' challenge. I'll not be using the Newman mine as a challenge picture.

I also like the trout farm and how you used canal pieces.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

soulchaser

I have a similar shot of the mine in 3.5 at the bottom, jmyers. Have seen yours, too...seems like the same place.

I've also seen your new mines, they look great, though I would TE those lots. As I'm not a BATer, and surely never will be, as I don't find the time to even try it, or massive PLOPer, you'll only find relotted things in my challenges, if they're not common.

I hope the dragon trout farm counts for natural ressources ;)

Recently Iced

threestooges

Not sure if I've said this before, but great work on these updates. I really like the circular style of the south, and that must have taken some time to set up. It really seems to be paying dividends in the region shots. The trout farm was a great idea for this update too. Very creative.
-Matt

mrbisonm

Judging Challenge 7

Now that you have judged Challenge 6, you know how difficult judging is....;) Glad you understand now and thanks for judging. The judging of Challenge 6 is still open to everyone and will stay so for awhile to give everyone the chance to judge. Just remember, your judgements will only count as long as you have judged all Challenge 6's.
How this challenge (7) was judged can be found in the Challenge 7 thread. Please read it so you can judge my Challenge 7 also.
The pointage will follow in a short time and the judging of Challenge 8 will be after that. Then we will get a new Challenge to work on, while giving me the time to get the Challenge 9 judging done. I will have to do my own part of Challenge 8 first before I start judging yours.
Not everyone will get their judgements of Challenge 7 at the same time, so please have some patience so I can do them all, a matter of two or three days only.
Thanks.

1.   I really like your industrial area. It is big, dirty and almost discouraging to look at. Great pictures and a perfect location gave you 4 points for them.
2. Your commercial center looks quite good also, some missing action and a little sparce though, but still a solid 3 points were given.
3. Hard to see what your coalmine area really looks like (dark picture) I would only give you 2 points, bbut because the fishfarm is very nicely done and well located,  3 points were added.
4. Agriculture looks very good. I liked the way you left a treeline between it and the river, something which is restricted by many countries to cut down. Well observed. I also like the irregular shape and sizes of the fields, but could have used some houses near the farms. Anyways, I still gave you 4 points.
5. Your town is very "green" as I can see, very good, but somewhat difficult to distinguish the Central park from. Nicely done though and a lot efford, I gave you a solid 3 points for this.

Very nice presentation of the challenge, clean and well organized. Nice pictures also and a good explanation of the facts gave you a total of 17 points plus a bonus of 1 for being ontime. 18 points were added to your total. Very nice !

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

soulchaser

Thanks Fred, for the points.

Again I've to learn, things that are obvious for me aren't for others. (One time I might learn from this. ::)) I understand where I "lost" ponits:
As I've seen my pics on other screens, the Mining really seems dark. My little Philips might be a bit more colorfull.
The Centralpark is almost as green as the sourroundings, but this resembles some parts in Munich near the "Englischer Garten". It's on Picture 6 (Center - Top) and 9 (rather to the top), next to the river, with the small playground.
And, yes, the pedmall is empty....you're right :D

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

Quote from: soulchaser on May 03, 2010, 12:09:26 PM
Thanks Fred, for the points.
The Centralpark is almost as green as the sourroundings, but this resembles some parts in Munich near the "Englischer Garten". It's on Picture 6 (Center - Top) and 9 (rather to the top), next to the river, with the small playground.

Not only in Muenchen are cityparts as green as your simcity picture, but let's not forget that I still gave you 3 points, which is considered as very good. To me, it is a little *too* clean that we generally do not find as an "average" these days.......
I once was from Aachen, NRW, (raised there 16 y) and we had a little park like this and the surrounding neighborhoods were all clean and green also.

Greeetz

Fred

soulchaser

Thank you, Fred, for the nice answer. I didn't want to complain,it was just a note for anyone to find what was intended to be there ;)

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

Quote from: soulchaser on May 03, 2010, 10:09:33 PM
Thank you, Fred, for the nice answer. I didn't want to complain,it was just a note for anyone to find what was intended to be there ;)

I didn't take it as a complaint but more as a demand for explanation. ;)

Fred