• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

kassarc16, thanks!  As far as turn lanes go, I would like to eventually get them added in--they will probably come to the RHW-2 first since those will be easier to implement, and I've been thinking of ways to implement them on the RHW-4.

And speaking of turn lanes, I also may as well show a little look at a prototype I did up. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

kassarc16

Awesome work, you're definitely on the ball. Can't wait for the next update!

MIS-related questions: Would it ever be possible to start the MIS by simply dragging off the RHW, or is it "starters only"? And will we see some ways to intersect a MIS with another MIS?

Diggis

Hey, nice texture. &apls I'd add some diagonal stripes into the inner loop though, and maybe lengthen the lower part of the arrow.

EDGE4194

Tolsome

really nice! :) :) :)
but it's maybe a bit to clean.  &mmm

bat

Wonderful work on these new textures here! They are looking great! :thumbsup:

Orange Julius

One request I have for the MIS is an exit puzzle piece designed for usage for roads and the RHW. Here is a picture of what I mean:
[linkie]

To show you more accurately on a traffic basis, I have prepared a JPG for you...
[linkie]
(is that too large?)
EDIT: Apparently so.
There actually used to be tons all over town until they streamlined the frontage roads by making them one way. While safer and more logical, they limit access to some of the buildings along the frontage roads and take away an important part of road heritage.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no true way to do this: cars can't stop at some times and NOT at others.

The new textures are interesting, and there even seems to be a conversion piece from RHW-2 to RHW-4! Very nice!  :thumbsup:

However, I would still have to say the black texture is unrealistic. I rarely see RL RHW-4s that are black and almost never see RHW-2s that are black. However, in some areas they don't always turn gray. In some areas they can turn a a reddish-brown texture (Louisiana), jet-black continuously (Nevada), or totally bleached white (somewhere)

This is due to the underlying gravel. The blackness is caused by the tar. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to turn black into gray or white or red or black or whatever floats your boat.

Unless you figure out how to utilize the mechanism that turns formerly nice buildings into ugly abandoned gray buildings!

I want to see the RHW warrant it's own expansion pack! (so to speak) ;)
Gone now...

j-dub

To be honest though, a real U.S. RHW 2 that I was on today, actually had smooth black asphalt, looked new to me, and yes it is rare, lots and I mean lots of crummy roads all over my state like you won't believe. Granted, it was unrealistic for the game developers to make every network except for highways and streets the black texture. In my world I like having continuous roads without the potholes. So even though this texture is questioned about looks, I thought the last one had the "clean" feel too. Right now, all I care about is function of new features more than anything else. I think this new texture will blend in better with that freeway puzzle piece -the one where its ground highway, except its 4 lanes with a shoulder, and RHW 4 compatible. 

Starmanw402007

I'm I've been trying to connect the Avenues Mostly.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

zakuten

Just a quick comment- the exit signs seem to not be lining up correctly on the road for exit type A and the RHW3/RHW2x2-splitter, not sure what to say about that. It might be my installation being funky or something.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

zzsim

I've been following this project for a while now despite not really playing SC4 much anymore since its too slow and unstable for my computer (SC4 seems to hate new technology like dual core processors  :( ).  I'd like to say thankyou to everyone that has contributed to this project as it looks fantastic.  The amount of realism for highways now is incredible, much better than what was possible when I played the game frequently.  I just have a few questions about the future of the RHW:

1) Will we see fully functioning RHW-6?  I'm referring to being able to go diagonal, connect the MIS to it, build it under the current puzzle pieces and place 3 lane overpasses. 
2) Are there still any plans to release the elevated MIS and the RHW specific overpasses that Blahdy made awhile ago?
3) Will there be any connector ramps for going in between inner and outer freeways so you can create things like service roads or inner express lanes that are seperated from your main freeway.
4) Will we ever see flyovers?  For example, say I want to build a ramp over an elevated roadway/puzzle piece.  This allows for those more complex stack interchanges you see on many modern freeways.
5) Finally, this is more general NAM related, but will we see a smoother elevated road straight to diagonal piece?  The current one dosen't bend and looks fairly awkward.  There is currently an equivalent for the elevated heavy rail puzzle pieces.

Thanks in advance for any answers!  I know that you guys are a small team and only have time to do so much, so I don't want to sound rude or anything by asking about future plans.  I appreciate all the work you guys and the rest of the NAM team are doing (for free  ;) ) to make this game better for all of us!

Tarkus

Quote from: Orange Julius on April 25, 2008, 04:18:16 PM
Unless you figure out how to utilize the mechanism that turns formerly nice buildings into ugly abandoned gray buildings!

Well, that property applies only to buildings--many transit networks like the RHW are model-less and texture-based.  As cool as that would be, I don't think it's possible.  As far as the ramps you suggested, that more or less looks like something you'd be able to do with a splitter for either the RHW-4 or the MIS, both of which are planned. ;)

zzsim:  Thanks for the compliments! (and I believe there is a way to disable the second core temporarily--I don't have a dual-core myself so I'm not entirely certain, though). ;) 

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, eventually.  MIS interfaces and overpass pieces are likely to be included in Version 21.  The diagonals, however, are the real hold up for all of the Wider RHWs, and the RHW-6 may be the trickiest of all (even more so than the RHW-8 or RHW-10).  Once those are figured out, the 8 and 10 will also be made available.

2) As far as the Elevated MIS, yes, eventually.  As far as those overpass pieces blahdy did, there are no plans to release them.

3 & 4) Yes, eventually.

5)  I'm not certain--I've always wanted that piece as well myself. ;)

Hope that answers your questions.

Back with more in awhile.

zzsim

Quote from: Tarkus on April 26, 2008, 02:49:14 PM
2) As far as the Elevated MIS, yes, eventually.  As far as those overpass pieces blahdy did, there are no plans to release them.

^ Thanks for the quick response Tarkus!  I've tried disabling cores before, and while the game was more stable, there were still the random Zoom In/Out crashes.  If I get some more spare time soon, I'll probably give it another shot though.  Does anyone know if the new Core 2 Duo processors are any more stable than the old Dual Core Pentium D one's; I'll probably be upgrading in the near future.

Its a shame that those overpass pieces from Blahdy didn't work out, they looked incredible and very modern.  Right now it is not really a big deal not to have RHW specific overpasses, since the new textures (both yours and the Euro version) match up alot better to the current road puzzle pieces, but it still would have been cool to see those bridges in the game. 

Interestingly enough, its projects like these that make me want to start playing the game again.  My favorite aspect of SC4 has always been the transportation aspect (especially highways) and the stuff that I've seen people do with the new RHW looks very intriguing.  I'm probably most looking forward to the RHW 8 & 10 since I've always wanted to recreate those massive LA style freeways in the game.

Thanks again for the response, I look forward to seeing more about this project in the future. 

MandelSoft

I've added some guard rails in the middle of the RHW-4

Diagonal guard rails. It doesn't look good on slopes, but thats the hard part.

NEXT UP: Guard Rails for the Corners and Ramps

Best,
MRTNRLN
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

Yeah, props don't work really well on slopes - I guess you could improve the look a bit when using shorter props, but for really hilly terrain, it won't work properly. Anyway, this is a very nice addition, and yet another step to more European highways. :)
Andreas

JoeST

Quote from: Andreas on April 27, 2008, 06:03:17 AM
Yeah, props don't work really well on slopes - I guess you could improve the look a bit when using shorter props, but for really hilly terrain, it won't work properly. Anyway, this is a very nice addition, and yet another step to more European highways. :)
ahh but for really hilly terrain, slope mods keep the slope bareable ;) LOL

Looking good there mrtrnln
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

freedo50

Yes! I've been waiting for some to make these barriers (I can't BAT for ****) for ever! If you can make them look right (maybe shorter props) I will love you forever more.
Looking forward to seeing more!

Fred

MandelSoft

I was also thinking about shorter props. Now I have only one long prop per section.

MandelSoft

Now I used shorter props, it looks like this:

It was a LOT of work, but it's worth it.

Best,
MRTNRLN

yoshiisland2

Quote from: mrtnrln on April 28, 2008, 02:28:18 AM
It was a LOT of work, but it's worth it.

Best,
MRTNRLN

It most certainly was! :thumbsup:  Glad to see you already did that...I was going to make a suggestion that you recommend certain slope mods for this one, but I guess that might not be needed.  I'm sure the NAM Team appreciates you taking some of the cosmetics aspects of this project out of their hair, be it a seperate mod or not. ;D