• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Real Expressway Mod REW (Development and Support)

Started by eggman121, November 23, 2016, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Yes, those look like the FTL Slip Lanes rather than REW ramps.  I can see about throwing some adjacency stability on them.

-Alex

roadgeek

roadgeek

A while back, Tarkus had a post that said there were issues with incorporating the 2-tile width NWMs into REW. That post appears to have been removed. Is this an indication that those issues have been resolved? I don't recall which page it was on, and Google search is not finding it either.

Tarkus

I don't recall there being any post specifically about that, and I definitely don't remember removing a post of mine here.  Most of the old REW-related issues that stymied the project for years were related to the OWR network's "Tidal Flow" reversal system, and eggman121 found a workaround that allowed the project to resume.  That was a general issue that affected everything REW-related, both with the wider NWM OWRs and the base OWR network content.

I will note that REW development hasn't really been a focus since we added a substantial chunk of it back with NAM 41 this past April.  I believe eggman121 is primarily focused on his Rail-related projects at the moment.  That said, particularly with our "Agile-like" release strategy, I suspect we'll return to it at some point in the not-too-distant future, and there will be some other projects we're working on in the meanwhile that may intersect with it (pun intended).

-Alex

roadgeek

Enjoy! AVE-6 and OWR-3 U-Turns X  L1 RHW-10S and L1 RHW-6C

roadgeek

Will C and F ramps be available any time soon, or will that have to wait for Flex REW? The most recent REW ramps, don't appear to be flexed, and they work pretty much like puzzle pieces.

Tarkus

Quote from: roadgeek on November 27, 2021, 06:46:58 PM
Will C and F ramps be available any time soon, or will that have to wait for Flex REW? The most recent REW ramps, don't appear to be flexed, and they work pretty much like puzzle pieces.

The REW ramps are FLEXed, as are all ploppable REW components.  We haven't added a single old-style puzzle piece to the NAM since NAM 33, some 6 years ago, and there's been a strict moratorium on adding any new ones since that cycle. 

That said, it is not possible to place REW FLEXRamps directly over top of existing stretches of the One-Way Road network.  This is a side-effect of the workaround used to combat the game's hardcoded "Tidal Flow" functionality.  The workaround required using special network flag combos, and it prevents the game's "auto-resolve" functionality from seeing them as compatible with those for the base orthogonal and diagonal networks.  Additionally, with the REW's ramps currently being limited in terms of which OWR networks have support, it's possible their "FLEX-ness" may not be particularly apparent in their present state.

C and F ramps won't be available until after FLEX-based Fractional Angle One-Way Road networks are available, and likely not until after the RHW finally gets its C and F ramps FLEXed.  While that's planned for the future, it's going to be some time off in the distance. 

Additionally, the REW as a whole remains on hiatus, and there is no one actively developing content for it.  Most likely, unless something dramatically changes, the most that's going to happen for it is a few sporadic, minor additions here and there.  (NAM 43 is already in the internal build phase, and there is no new REW content included in the feature set.)

-Alex

Wiimeiser

So what's happening regarding those REW intersection concepts that were shown?

Actually, I think the REW is, missing FAR aside, pretty much "complete", so anything else that gets added (aside from fractional angle stuff and an orthogonal version of that one ramp piece) would just be a bonus at this point. Of course, those two intersections that were shown but haven't made it in yet would be nice...

I really wish I could help speed things up on that front, but my only skills will just slow you down...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 28, 2021, 03:49:44 PM

Actually, I think the REW is, missing FAR aside, pretty much "complete", so anything else that gets added (aside from fractional angle stuff and an orthogonal version of that one ramp piece) would just be a bonus at this point. Of course, those two intersections that were shown but haven't made it in yet would be nice...

If you're referring to the "seagull"/"continuous green" T-intersections, they're technically not REW content.  Durfsurn was developing those, and he's had pretty heavy-duty RL of late, which has put continued development on those on hold.

Pretty much the main thing left that strictly "REW" territory is adding in more wider OWR support (i.e. OWR-4 and OWR-5) for the ramps, and then, once FLEX Fractional Angle functionality is added, the ramps for those.  There's other planned OWR additions (MRCs for the OWR-4 and OWR-5, FTL/SITAP for the NWM OWRs, NWM OWR Viaducts), but those kind of fall into the hinterland between NWM, FTL, SITAP, Viaducts, and REW.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

I remember those seagull intersections. Those look like a good way to terminate a REW. But I was also thinking of that rural Boulevard/semi-Freeway intersection that seems to have disappeared...

And both of us seem to have forgotten elevated REW support.

compdude787

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 29, 2021, 03:04:19 AM
But I was also thinking of that rural Boulevard/semi-Freeway intersection that seems to have disappeared...

What are you referring to exactly?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 29, 2021, 03:04:19 AM
I remember those seagull intersections. Those look like a good way to terminate a REW. But I was also thinking of that rural Boulevard/semi-Freeway intersection that seems to have disappeared...

Are you thinking of the Continuous Flow Intersections (CFIs)?  Also not an REW project, but an FTL one.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

No, what I was thinking of was similar to this intersection on Hume Highway.

Though are the Continuous Flow intersections really pretty much almost done? As in, just LHD support left?

(Incidentally, I'd like to be able to branch normal ARD-3 off those CFI pieces, though that would require a mirrored version...)

Tarkus

The CFIs remain shelved for the time being.  I will be revisiting them at some point in the near future, as I am focused on FTL content a lot of late, but they're a more involved project.

As far as that particular Hume Highway intersection, I found the original post with it from November 2017 after some extensive archaeology, the general NAM: Development thread.  That would have been in the early days of NAM 37 development, from back before things went haywire with that cycle (including before the Tidal Flow issues with the initial REW work reared their ugly heads).  AFAIK, it was an early prototype that never ended up in any subsequent internal NAM or REW builds.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. A shame it seems to have been canned... I hope you can work something out with it in the future. Seems like tying it in with the FTLs might be a good idea...

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on November 28, 2021, 06:22:50 PM
Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 28, 2021, 03:49:44 PM

If you're referring to the "seagull"/"continuous green" T-intersections, they're technically not REW content.  Durfsurn was developing those, and he's had pretty heavy-duty RL of late, which has put continued development on those on hold.

Pretty much the main thing left that strictly "REW" territory is adding in more wider OWR support (i.e. OWR-4 and OWR-5) for the ramps, and then, once FLEX Fractional Angle functionality is added, the ramps for those.  There's other planned OWR additions (MRCs for the OWR-4 and OWR-5, FTL/SITAP for the NWM OWRs, NWM OWR Viaducts), but those kind of fall into the hinterland between NWM, FTL, SITAP, Viaducts, and REW.

-Alex

Times like this, you wonder if a good JIRA ticketing system might come handy.

Haljackey

Quote from: roadgeek on January 21, 2022, 07:31:55 PM

Times like this, you wonder if a good JIRA ticketing system might come handy.

Oh man... I have created thousands of JIRA tickets for work. Last thing I want to do is make more on my free time lol

I do get what you are saying however- easier to track and organize this stuff. I can tell you internally the NAM team has various threads to spread out everything, and a lot more channels have been made on our internal discord server to better divide everything up.

Tarkus

As far as Jira-type functionality, at least with issues, we used to use the section built into our GitHub depository fairly actively around 2013-2015, until two things happened: (1) a non-NAMite who was absolutely desperate to ingratiate himself to the team in hopes of joining decided to go on a blitz adding "issues" that were often simply the product of user error (which just annoyed the dev team and interfered with the usefulness of the system), and (2) by the end of NAM 33, we were down to three fully-active developers, and we didn't require that level of coordination anymore.  We've used it semi-intermittently since last year, as the team's re-expanded, but it's not fully caught on.

We've never had anything of that sort for requests/feature progress, though.  It's an interesting idea, though given how freewheeling NAM development is, and our desire to focus on getting things done rather than structure/bureaucracy, we've tended to prefer systems like what Haljackey described. They've largely worked well, especially as we've fine-tuned them in recent months, and have allowed us to maintain this new "Agile"-style development paradigm.

-Alex