• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonraker0

After some re-plopping and adding 4 more z's to the beginning of the patch's file name and putting it in the same folder as the main NAM files, I still don't have any paths for my slip lanes. :(

Moonraker0

I have tried it; it is now in the zzzzzzzSlipLanePathFix folder in my main plugins folder, but it is still not working right.

Tarkus

Quote from: Moonraker0 on October 25, 2010, 04:11:58 PM
I have tried it; it is now in the zzzzzzzSlipLanePathFix folder in my main plugins folder, but it is still not working right.

That's really odd.  I'm fairly certain there's nothing wrong with the patch itself.  It's been downloaded 99 times and there's only been one report of it not working.  Perhaps there's something in your Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins folder?

We'll get to the bottom of it somehow.

-Alex

ssquicci

I had the same problem at first.  I was able to fix it by creating a separate folder in my Plug-in Folder with just that fix in it.  I know that this has already been suggested, but it did work for me.

Tarkus

Quote from: ssquicci on October 26, 2010, 11:35:53 AM
I had the same problem at first.  I was able to fix it by creating a separate folder in my Plug-in Folder with just that fix in it.  I know that this has already been suggested, but it did work for me.

That likely has to do with the fact that the TuLEP .dat file (NetworkAddonMod_TurningLane_Extension.dat) is located in Network Addon Mod\Plugins instead of the main NAM folder. 

-Alex

Moonraker0

Of course...I just realised the problem:  I use the SimCity 4 Startup Manager, which won't load a new folder in the plugins folder unless I check it in the list of folders to load; that's why it didn't work when it was in the zzzzzzzSlipLanePathFix folder.  I now have it back to its default file name, residing directly in the Network Addon Mod\Plugins folder along with NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_Extension_Plugin.dat, and when I checked the slip lanes in game with DrawPaths, they are now showing their full paths, which most likely means they'll start functioning now as they should.

Moonraker0

I have been wondering for a while about this:  would you say there will at some point be TuLEPs for FLUP ramps?  Like in the included picture, the TuLEP transition and the first two Type A tiles could be included in the FLUP ramp going out to the intersection.  With such a transition, the intersection shown could be TuLEP-ized.  A puzzle piece like I described would be very useful in my opinion, if you were considering it.

Paul 999

In Holland you not see much traffic-lights intersections. It will be great to make some intersection whit TuLEP's but without traffic-lights.

You can wait in the middle of the intersection.
http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=%27s-Hertogenbosch&sll=52.469397,5.509644&sspn=4.959992,14.227295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=%27s-Hertogenbosch,+Noord-Brabant&ll=51.70856,5.319118&spn=0.001232,0.004495&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.708497,5.319308&panoid=OgxNfLr5V3ljbo1FlWmSMA&cbp=12,104.84,,0,5.21

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Vlijmen&sll=71.936401,-64.311218&sspn=0.039442,0.287704&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vlijmen,+Heusden,+Noord-Brabant&ll=51.691413,5.146682&spn=0.002477,0.008991&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.691413,5.146682&panoid=d99pzNpZEx5Fo4Nqo2Czxg&cbp=12,10.3,,0,15.53

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Vlijmen&sll=71.936401,-64.311218&sspn=0.039442,0.287704&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vlijmen,+Heusden,+Noord-Brabant&ll=51.695341,5.194624&spn=0.004928,0.017982&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.695341,5.194624&panoid=yms3ILFuOogdqGtHzw1KHQ&cbp=12,140.38,,0,6.72

A far road puzzlepice whit a turning lane?
http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Vlijmen&sll=71.936401,-64.311218&sspn=0.039442,0.287704&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vlijmen,+Heusden,+Noord-Brabant&ll=51.695728,5.191024&spn=0.001239,0.004495&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.695728,5.191024&panoid=nlh6qtsUo0X4y5OjU_aV2A&cbp=12,301.64,,0,10.05

Turning lane for a RHW-2?
http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Vlijmen&sll=71.936401,-64.311218&sspn=0.039442,0.287704&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vlijmen,+Heusden,+Noord-Brabant&ll=51.728303,5.121605&spn=0.002475,0.008991&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.728303,5.121605&panoid=Z1Xyk-3QORpiUImk0yyaAA&cbp=12,351.63,,0,3.76

I hope that i make my point, how do you think about this?

j-dub

Oh wow, someone who feels the same way I do! :thumbsup: TuLEPs initially did not have signals on it, but at the last minute it was made to not allow both options with or without at once.

Tarkus

Non-signalized TuLEPs sound like a good idea to me--I've been thinking about that for awhile now, in fact.

-Alex

ivo_su

Alex I can see how good and useful is this cosmetic mod for marking in RHW and I thought it would be very effective in TULEPs
would helped and all varieties of OWR

- Ivaylo

interim

Quote from: Tarkus on December 06, 2010, 01:26:11 PM
Non-signalized TuLEPs sound like a good idea to me--I've been thinking about that for awhile now, in fact.

-Alex
I noticed this when I was making T-intersections with TuLEPs. In many places in the United States, you'll find a road or street that dead ends into a T-intersection without any signal light. This is especially common with frontage roads or rural streets. I'd love to see something like that make it into TuLEPs.

j-dub

In that situation, if you do not want signals for some of the networks right now, you are only able to use substitution, for example if you want a TLA-3 crossing or passing a rural type of road with no signal, that "road" now has to be a RHW-2 before it hits or crosses at the TLA, and before the 3-Lane TuLEP crossing over a 2 Lane Road intersection piece comes out, it looks like that is the only option for the moment.

interim

Yes, I noticed that. I did just that for a number of intersections in the middle of nowhere. :)

I've been using the RHW-2 for a lot of things, experimenting with it. Even in major cities it's actually quite a useful piece of road because of how much easier it is to lay down than the Maxis highway. Plus, it's great for making high-capacity bridges and through-ways where there isn't a lot of space.

willsim

I was wondering if you guys could make a michigain left for rhw-4 / dual owr for my divided highways + it would not clog the inter sections as mutch

j-dub

You mean where you have to sit through more lights to just make a U-Turn? Otherwise, without using signals, or turn lanes, U-turns for avenues and RHW had been possible before, not to mention OWR can specifiy U-Turns for only one direction when used in between.

Opkl

Tarkus, I would really love to see TuLEP pieces for the RHW 6 and even 8. I was in Indiana today and many of their major routes are somewhat like the RHW unlike in my area of Chicago where our roads are like the TLA-5. I see that you are planning on TuLEP pieces for the RHW 2 and 4, but in areas where there are large concentration of business such as retail, one would need to have wider RHWs to handle all of the traffic. This is where the TuLEPs for the RHW 6/8 would come in handy. The cosmetic pieces that you created can also be a nice touch since these wider roads have that neverending right turn lane that do not end until you travel out of the business area. However, since the intersections will be very wide, will wire string traffic singals be used or will that be decided later on? Also, can the intersection TuLEPs pieces be modeled in a way so that one may have a wide RHW that uses a median and is not side by side? -Thanks for all your hard work.

Tarkus

The main design intent behind the RHW networks beyond the RHW-4 has been to have them be strictly limited/controlled-access, and that's the main reason any sort of at-grade intersection (and TuLEPification) has been generally excluded from any short- or long-range plans.

The 6S/6C have been "borderline" cases, though, mainly as there's a sort of "genre-bending" stretch of Oregon Highway 99W in Sherwood, Oregon.  It's somewhere in the nebulous expanse between an RHW-6 and the triple-tile AVE-6 that is planned to be added in the next NWM release.  The stretches to the northeast and the southwest of there are still kind of RHW-4-ish expressways, but with the amount of commercial growth along the 6-lane stretch and the general trend of how things go as roadways with at-grade intersections get widened, I'd say it's closer to being an NWM network than an RHW network in its current state.  It sounds like the roads in Indiana are probably similar--I'd be curious to see some Google Maps examples for comparison.

Given that and that the triple-tile NWM networks are already planned to get TuLEPs, I'd be hesitant to put RHW-6 TuLEPs on the list, as it's kind of a stretch.  RHW-8 ones are even less likely.

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on December 18, 2010, 10:06:56 PM
The main design intent behind the RHW networks beyond the RHW-4 has been to have them be strictly limited/controlled-access, and that's the main reason any sort of at-grade intersection (and TuLEPification) has been generally excluded from any short- or long-range plans.

The 6S/6C have been "borderline" cases, though, mainly as there's a sort of "genre-bending" stretch of Oregon Highway 99W in Sherwood, Oregon.  It's somewhere in the nebulous expanse between an RHW-6 and the triple-tile AVE-6 that is planned to be added in the next NWM release.  The stretches to the northeast and the southwest of there are still kind of RHW-4-ish expressways, but with the amount of commercial growth along the 6-lane stretch and the general trend of how things go as roadways with at-grade intersections get widened, I'd say it's closer to being an NWM network than an RHW network in its current state.  It sounds like the roads in Indiana are probably similar--I'd be curious to see some Google Maps examples for comparison.

Given that and that the triple-tile NWM networks are already planned to get TuLEPs, I'd be hesitant to put RHW-6 TuLEPs on the list, as it's kind of a stretch.  RHW-8 ones are even less likely.

-Alex

I forgot about the triple tile AVEs. Here's a google map link:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.4691,-87.308865&spn=0,0.054846&z=14&layer=c&cbll=41.471128,-87.314931&panoid=BF-iCJFYiP1i8-N_ly0Gqw&cbp=12,88.03,,0,2.61

Scroll around the area to help understand. The RHW like street is US-30 (Lincoln Highway)