• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

I almost approached that setup, except the thing I did, was use a double turn lane avenue TuLEP X to intersect the two tile wide 6 lane cross road. While not supported, I did this just to see if it fit the same. Visually, it looked like it fit. I may have gotten a shot of it once, but I can't find it right now. That's something I guess the user will just have to determine for themselves if they want to do that.

The Mave 6, or Road 6 whatever it's called, already takes a lot of lane space as it is, so whether that will have extra lanes for turning is like  ()what().

Before that's even considered, as it is, right turn lanes envisioned for roads, when there already is a left, take another tile space.

Haljackey

I've actually made a number of similar setups, including this one for a TLA-7/OWR-3 intersection. Looks great and works perfectly.

Northern Pyro

Could you make a road tulep where the one direction of traffic splits up into 3 lanes? Left one turns left, middle goes straight, and right goes right.

I would like to see some right turn tuleps, they're everywhere in my town.

Tarkus

That one's been planned since the very beginning of the project (and in fact, my little TuLEP video shows one), but it was never released, due to implementation logistics relating to more advanced TuLEP setups.

-Alex

Haljackey

If anyone's interested, I've made an entry into my SC4 archives thread documenting TuLEP development: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4575.msg460506#msg460506

DJSun1981

@Hal: I love it :)

I have a suggestion too here, made in paint  $%Grinno$%

It would be cool, if I could combine these arrows with crossroads

j-dub

Yikes! In order for that to happen, so many various intersection pieces would need to be made. There already were some interesting advanced concepts proposed for 1-2 tile networks before, and I couldn't believe the amount of pieces that would of been needed to fill those as it is, so whatever comes next is just going to have come next as it is.

Tarkus

There's also the matter of intersection geometry to consider.  Mainly to keep the paths from getting insane, we're primarily sticking to intersections that don't require the lanes to curve about mid-intersection.

-Alex

Tarkus

It's alive . . .

Using the new nomenclature, those are Road Type 111 TuLEPs intersecting Avenue Type 120 TuLEPs.

-Alex

APSMS

It appears to me that the puzzle piece leading into the intersection is 2 tiles wide. I was wondering if the NRD-4 setup was too narrow for this type of situation, or if the shift in lanes made pathing too much of a headache.

It looks really good. Wondering what the extra space will be filled with, though.

EDIT: Is the extra tile an override of the already existing RD-2 TuLEP that simply covers the sidewalk and adds a right turn lane?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

j-dub

Yes, it is two tiles wide, so more land will need to be accounted for,when building a road with a right turn lane. Using the math of the NRD would of required a lane shift in order to keep it one tile.

Haljackey had posted not too long ago, another's concept of doing this on one tile, but this two tile concept, considers the one tile suffers too much of a lane shift.

Tarkus

Quote from: j-dub on June 08, 2013, 06:29:02 AM
Yes, it is two tiles wide, so more land will need to be accounted for,when building a road with a right turn lane. Using the math of the NRD would of required a lane shift in order to keep it one tile.

Haljackey had posted not too long ago, another's concept of doing this on one tile, but this two tile concept, considers the one tile suffers too much of a lane shift.

More importantly, keeping it on one tile would cause capacity issues, and it'd be a bit tricky from an intersection geometry standpoint.  Generally speaking, TuLEP setups that would entail the through-traffic motions to swerve mid-intersection won't be made.  That's why the Through-Left/Right setup for Roads is being built as a Type 011 instead of a Type 110 (current Road Type A).

With respect to the capacity matter, the goal with most of these TuLEP pieces is for them to have a functional impetus, rather than being mere cosmetic pieces.  The goal, once different lane control setups are introduced for the various TuLEP types, is that they will have their own special intersections, reflecting the lane control precisely.  For instance, you couldn't plug an existing Avenue Type 120 (old Type A) Left/Blank/Blank TuLEP into a Left/Through-Left/Through-Right port on an intersection.  The effect on the traffic simulation (not just the automata simulation) does, in fact, differ between those two, due to how the turning motions are distributed across the tile space.

-Alex

Tarkus

A bit of a specialized setup . . . but that's what a Road Type 210 TuLEP does.

-Alex

kassarc16

Very nice!

Has there been any progress on OWR TuLEPs?

Swordmaster

Nice work Alex. Love the 111 setups. (I'm not sure if you've explained the new nomenclature already to people.)

Cheers
Willy

Gugu3

great Alex!nice to see you are working again on tulep! &apls

Ramona Brie

Beautiful setup.

You know, would that happen to be Meteor Avenue at Argentum Boulevard in the new Argentum? The terrain texture and intersection placement are right, plus there's a university right above University Avenue...

Tarkus

First off, thanks, everyone!  Glad to be back at this project, and now that some of the nomenclature-related matters are solved, you'll finally see things go out the door.

Quote from: kassarc16 on June 24, 2013, 02:39:13 AM
Has there been any progress on OWR TuLEPs?

Not since the last update on that front, which was some time ago.  I am planning to revisit them quite soon, however.

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 24, 2013, 05:24:51 AM
Nice work Alex. Love the 111 setups. (I'm not sure if you've explained the new nomenclature already to people.)

That's a good reminder.

The new nomenclature system enumerates the turn lanes in the type name, following the formula xyz, where x is the number of "cross" turn lanes (left turns in RHD, right turns in LHD), y is the number of thru lanes, and z is the number of "near" turn lanes (right turns in RHD, left turns in LHD).  Thru lanes that also allow turning motions (e.g. thru-left, thru-right) are still classified as thru lanes, and setups for T-intersections, where no lanes go thru, are classified according to the type with thru lanes that they most resemble.  Blank median lanes count as cross turn lanes, as they also maintain the same alignment.

The familiar Road Type A TuLEP is classified as a Type 110 under the new system, the Avenue Type A TuLEP is a Type 120, and the Avenue Type B TuLEP is a Type 220.  The Type A TuLEPs for the triple-tile NWM networks would currently be classified as Type 130.

The lane controls for a given type will be denoted using an ASCII diagram, graphically depicting the setup.  For instance, the current Avenue Type 120 (former Type A) setup for T-intersections in Basic TuLEPs would be denoted as L|R|R.  The Road Type 210 on the right side of the pic I just showed would be L|L|TR.  The key for each marking is as follows:

L = Left Turn
R = Right Turn
T = Thru
TL = Thru-Left
TR = Thru-Right
A = All-Way (Thru-Left-Right)
LR = Left-Right
M = Median
B = Blank

M is used for cross-turn lanes that are filled by the median and do not allow turns.  The Road Type 210 TuLEP on the left side of my last pic would be diagrammed M|L|TR.  B is used for lanes that aren't given arrow markings, for instance, the Road Type 110 TuLEP that you have come to know as Type A1 would be marked L|B, and of course, the fully blank version B|B, used to allow more reasonable spacing of the arrows.

Quote from: Tracker on June 27, 2013, 07:47:17 PM
You know, would that happen to be Meteor Avenue at Argentum Boulevard in the new Argentum? The terrain texture and intersection placement are right, plus there's a university right above University Avenue...

It is indeed the Meteor/Argentum intersection--it sounds like someone knows his way around New Argentum quite well. :thumbsup:  You'll get to see that all being built in a forthcoming Tarkusian Cities update (probably the one after next).

-Alex

metarvo

Thank you for the explanation, Alex.  I think I can get it now.  Interestingly enough, this nomenclature can be applied (albeit redundantly) to non-TuLEP intersections as well.  For instance, the standard Road x Road intersection would be a Type 010, due to having one through lane which allows everything.  I'm curious about one thing, though.  Which name takes precedence in the case of a TuLEP intersection between two different networks?  The above Road Type 210 crosses an Avenue, and from the perspective of the Avenue it would instead be an Avenue Type 120.

Anyway, it's good to see this project moving along.  Good work!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Quote from: metarvo on June 28, 2013, 05:41:16 AM
Thank you for the explanation, Alex.  I think I can get it now.  Interestingly enough, this nomenclature can be applied (albeit redundantly) to non-TuLEP intersections as well.  For instance, the standard Road x Road intersection would be a Type 010, due to having one through lane which allows everything. 

You're welcome, and indeed, you could use that nomenclature to apply to non-TuLEP intersections.  Of course, it's also possible we might produce TuLEPs for those situations down the road (no pun intended), and the default OWR TuLEP setup I showed ages ago actually operates on this principle.

Quote from: metarvo on June 28, 2013, 05:41:16 AM
I'm curious about one thing, though.  Which name takes precedence in the case of a TuLEP intersection between two different networks?  The above Road Type 210 crosses an Avenue, and from the perspective of the Avenue it would instead be an Avenue Type 120.

Actually, it'd be an Avenue Type 120 x Road Type 210 intersection, in the full nomenclature (specifically, N AVE 120 L|T|TR; S AVE 120 L|T|TR; W RD 210 M|L|TR; E RD 210 L|L|TR).  It'd probably be classed as an Avenue setup when we get down to the nitty-gritty of TAB location, that being the bigger network.

-Alex