• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Just worked up this design for the T-intersection version of the Type 220 x One-Way Road intersection:

-Alex

dyoungyn

Now that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  On the note of FLEX, will your FLEX SPUI's be included with the next NAM update? 

Wow, you are truly amazing and thank you so much for sharing. &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

matias93

Tarkus, your work is becoming a threat to our emotional stability  &hlp :crytissue: :bnn: :'(  this is simply too perfect to be true!!

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tyberius06

Oh yeah!!! :) It's amazing and very good looking intersection.
I guess there will be similiar versions for TLA5 and the rest of the NWM sometimes in the far future, but it's awesome anyway! :) &apls &apls &apls

Thank you! :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn, matias93, Tyberius06, and compdude787, for the kind words!  (And thanks to everyone who gave the last update a "Like".)

This one took a surprising amount of gator wrangling to pull off, but it's one of the last setups I wanted to get in place for the Type 130 FTLs.

Now to answer a few questions:

Quote from: dyoungyn on December 29, 2016, 05:59:40 PM
On the note of FLEX, will your FLEX SPUI's be included with the next NAM update? 

It's looking like the FlexSPUI relaunch will be a NAM 37 or 38 addition.  We're likely going to need FTL support for the draggable viaducts to be in place in order for the L1 and L2 versions to be able to be connected to anything, and that's a pretty big can of worms to open.

Quote from: Tyberius06 on December 30, 2016, 06:17:06 AM
I guess there will be similiar versions for TLA5 and the rest of the NWM sometimes in the far future, but it's awesome anyway!

Since differentiation between Avenue and and TLA-5 setups has been built into the Type 120 and 220 FTLs, a TLA-5 version is already part of the equation.

-Alex

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Ryan B.

j-dub

I know function before cosmetics, but I'm not sure why you had to put such a sharp pointy angular island in the double left turn like that. I've never seen that.

Ryan B.

Quote from: j-dubI know function before cosmetics, but I'm not sure why you had to put such a sharp pointy angular island in the double left turn like that. I've never seen that.

This is often done to discourage people from illegal left turns from the straight lane(s).

MushyMushy

Looks great Alex! My only potential suggestion is a texture-related one. As far as the "wear lines" from the cars go, I'm not sure if there should be one coming from the right turning lane that goes to the left lane of the OWR.

Here's a picture with the part I'm talking about circled:

I say that because even though people don't always go into the correct lane on double-lefts, they're supposed to and not doing so is a frequent cause of wrecks. Other than that little nit-picking it looks great!

Tarkus

Thanks, Ryan B., j-dub, and MushyMushy for the kind words and feedback (and to all who hit "Like" on that last one).

The left lane connection on the wear lines was bugging me a bit, too, so I've fixed it, and made a few other little changes.

To add to Ryan's explanation for the island, it is basically an implementation of an engineering technique known as channelization.  In other words, the inclusion of that island helps enforce the directionality of traffic.  As emphasized by the replacement of the crosswalk markings with stop lines, it's actually intended to be a partial seagull intersection.  As the through lanes on the outer part of the intersection have no real interaction with the cross street (being an OWR heading out of the intersection, there's actually no need for them to stop.

These partial seagull designs are actually in use a fair bit in Eugene, Oregon--Franklin Boulevard (Oregon Highway 99) on the north side of the University of Oregon campus is littered with them.  The one at the intersection of Franklin and East 11th Avenue was actually the main inspiration for this design.  You'll actually be seeing quite a few Eugene designs showing up in this thread here soon, particularly with regards to FTL and SITAP setups.

It's also worth noting that this particular design also has an eye toward continuous-flow intersections (CFIs), which are something that's been part of the long-term gameplan for the whole NWM/FTL/TuLEP ecosystem since very early in planning.

-Alex

Tarkus

Another update . . . here's where SITAP is headed next.  The plan is for this to complement the RealExpressway (REW).  Don't know if this will be a NAM 36 feature, but it's in the pipeline.

-Alex

Edit: Forgot the image the first go around. :facepalm:

dyoungyn

Ohh boy this is getting exciting now  &hlp  What would make this awesome if the same could be applied to RHW1 and the same apply for both for AVE6/7.

Gugu3

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn and Gugu3 (and all who hit "Like")!

Quote from: dyoungyn on January 03, 2017, 09:36:17 PM
What would make this awesome if the same could be applied to RHW1 and the same apply for both for AVE6/7.

We will get there.  The MIS will be getting SITAP and FTL support, though that's probably going to be a project for another release.

The OWR-1 work, however, is going pretty well.  Still no guarantees at this moment, particularly with more RL looming on the horizon, but there's a decent shot of it going into NAM 36.  Still need to finish the T21s and paths on these intersections below, but the RUL2 code is operational.

-Alex

Tyberius06

I can see more fun staff is coming! :) Thank you!  &apls &apls &apls
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

matias93

This is like the Groundhog Day movie, but with Christmas, it doesn't end  $%Grinno$% !!

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tarkus

Thanks, Tyberius, matias, and everyone for the kind words and support!

The paths and T21s are now in place on the previously shown intersections. 

In the process, I also discovered the capacity-boosting Distilled Intersection Paths had disappeared from the NRD-4 (likely when the direct Pedmall connection paths were added), so that's been fixed, and NRD-4 will be back up to its intended capacity for NAM 36.

-Alex

Gugu3