• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Jason's BATs

Started by Jasoncw, April 06, 2008, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

Another great looking structure, Jason. Well done!  &apls

Cheers,
Kevin

Jasoncw

Jmyers2043:  Thank you for the kind words.  Yeah, loading docks are in my arsenal of random stuff to put in the back of the building, lol.  I don't think the floor plans of most of my BATs justify the number and frequency of loading docks I put on things, but they look good.  I don't think it's even possible for trucks to back into any of them from the alleys.  Vents are something I've forgotten about, and I wasn't sure of what to put in that space there, so thanks for mentioning them.  I need to think of more things to put on my roofs and alleys because they're starting to look the same.

BigHead99:  Thanks!

Bigskelding:  Thanks!  Yeah, it'll be on the STEX.  I don't know when, but eventually it will make it's way there.

BigSlark:  Thanks!

I've done more work on the roof and alley.

vester

Looking good, Jason. Your work on the roof textures is an improvement.

SimFox

It looks gorgeous!
Only critique I would come up is that may be it is slightly too purple (I mean in the sunny side) and the glass is a bit too bright.

Still it is a marvel!

jmyers2043

QuoteI need to think of more things to put on my roofs

I use less roof junk now than I used to. SimCity to some extent is a roof top game. Even so ... this can be over played. I've gotten better at Paint Shop Pro as I've gone along. I tend to concentrate on good roof textures over roof junk now. Your use of the roof penthouse where the elevator equipment is maintained is a good example of how a roof can be interesting without a lot of clutter.

Ideas? A roof can have small equipment shelters for communications equipment (microwave, satellite dishes) You can then connect that shelter with conduit pipe to your elevator maintenance room. How about a water tower? A stand pipe would be the gravity feed for all the restrooms. How about a security camera or two or one of those traffic cameras looking down at an intersection? You can also make a low lying square box on the roof. This is where air escapes from and is drawn in when the elevators move up and down. . . Hmmm - I'll keep thinking.

Ah - I like to put little roof drains and space them every 4 or 5 meters. A 1X1X1 cube with a metal material. If done right they will not pop out and distract the eye but will cast shadows and add interest to the roof decking.

But my goal now is .. Less is more . . if you can make a good roof texture.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

jestarr

Very nice building Jason!  I like the angled loading docks.  They're a nice touch and are more realistic in tight spaces.

spa

This is turning out quite well Jason. If you wanted to call it quits on the roof I think it looks fine. There is a good amount of clutter and the texture is great so I wouldn't worry too much. Oh and I like the angled loading docks :)

callagrafx

I too like the loading docks...only critique would be that there are too many of them.  Normally there's one or two loading bays with the rest being storage and garbage, like a waste compactor and recycling bins.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jasoncw

Vester:  Thanks! 

SimFox:  Thanks!  I experimented with the brick a lot to make it look good in the game, though yeah, I think it might be a bit too purple.  I'll take a closer look at the glass next time I work on it.

jmyers2043:  I definitely agree that roof junk is (or at least was in the past) overdone.  I'm generally happy with how my roofs turn out, but I use the same technique on all of them so I feel like sitting next to each other, they might look too the same.  Or maybe the consistency would be a good thing.

Jestarr:  Thanks, and thanks for posting!

spa:  Thanks   :)

callagrafx:  Yeah, there's definitely too many of them, lol.  This store has an emphasis on looking busy.  Employees can often be found shuffling boxes in and out of the various bays.   :)

I've starting working more on 211 West Fort Street, which is a building in Detroit.  Originally, in the summer of 2006 I started the building, thinking that it would be a quicky because of its simplicity.  Then I found that the white color, the thinness of some of the parts, and and night lighting made it too hard to do in Gmax, and that it would be better done in 3ds Max.  A bit later I finally got 3ds Max, and continued work on it.  Since then, every few months I work on it but usually end up fixing or redoing things from the past, or have stopped working on it, waiting to learn a new technique for it (night libraries for the windows was the most recent stall).  Anyway, I've worked on it some more, and have worked on the glass and the roof.

Here is some stuff about the real building:

Local Live  Here you can see 211 West Fort Street.  You can also see the Detroit Free Press Building (bottom of the frame), Chase Tower (top of the frame), and the Olde Building (left edge of the frame, directly above the parking garage), which I've already released.

Wikipedia    Emporis.com

Here's where I'm at:

bigskelding

Looks great! keep it up, if this is any indication on what were in for with u know what, then wow! lol :thumbsup:
GO WINGS GO!!!   My BAT Thread http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4705.0

Wrightguy0

Looking good Jason, Can't wait for this stuff to be released &apls :)

mmorales2

Hey Jason. Thank you for the wonderful bat's. I am wondering if you take requests, and if you do here are a few that would be nice to see on STEX. Thanks.

The building in this picture in the middle would be nice.
COMING SOON!!!!
XION, THE LAST BASTION

Jasoncw

Nope, I don't!  lol

In other news though, I've uploaded the Central Police Station, and Patrol Car Lot to the STEX today.

jacqulina

squidi

wow great work jason,
i just downloaded ur police station and i love this bat.
the department store is also something i cant wait to see it in game.
someone said here your bats are all looking so american, but that is exactly what i like on them. here in europe we only have boring modern glassfront highrise buildings(most of them)
and these older art deco style is somthing i like much more.
this 211 building is also exelent and i like the roof construction but the older looking bats are the real trademark of ur work in my opinion.
i also hope to see some progress on the nafmis tower .
thanks for your great bats and i also enjoi to see your previews here

Sciurus

It's a very impressive work. &apls :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

very good BATs Jason  :thumbsup:
&apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog